Cocnut Burfi or Thenga burfi is very easy to make sweet.It is made with easily available things in our kitchen..I make this sweet for Diwali.It is a favourite sweet for my friends.Variations can be done. Pure white burfi can be done and to it can add fried cashews.Today for a change I have used turmeric powder for yellow color and added pineapple essence as a flavour.This can be kept in air tight container for 3 to 4 days and if stored in refrigerator can extend upto 7 to 9 days.
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Sugar : 1 cup (optional can reduce a little)
- Water : 1/2 cup
- Pineapple essence:1 or 2 tsp as per taste.
- Turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- Ghee :2tbsp
Cardomom :a few
- Put sugar in a thick bottom vessel.
- Add water.
- Allow sugar to completely dissolve that is melt completely.
- Cook till it gets 1 string consistency.
- Now add coconut and mix well.
- Then add essence ,color,cardomom powder and 1tbsp ghee.
- Stir it continuously by keeping in low flame.
- The mixture will become thick and starts leaving the sides of the pan and will roll like a ball.
- Remove from fire and pour the mixture in a greased plate.
- Allow the burfi to cool a little and cut it in desired shape.
- When it cools completely make pieces..
Store in air tight containers.
Points to remember:
- use fresh coconut scrapings.
- If the scrapings are bigger then put in mixie and run for few second.
- See that the scrapings are white see that the brown portion doesnt mix.
- Use thick bottom vessel or non stick pan.
- When done remove it quickly or else it will become powder.
9 replies on “Coconut Burfi”
Wow….my favorite…very good recipe.
Very tempting ! My all time favorite .. Thanks for sharing the recipe .
Thanks for stopping
Thanks for stopping
This is one of my favorite sweets. I’ve never used pineapple essence or turmeric powder when making thenga burfi. I’ll be sure to give this a try.
My mom’s coconut barfi is my favourite!!! I have to say I like the mysore pak or the kaju barfi better though 😀 coconut barfi is a close second 🙂
It’s lovely to meet you. I will look forward to reading your posts.
Thanks a lot Aishwarya.Nice having a chance to interact with you.I too will read your posts.Thanks for stopping.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love this; but it always becomes halwa instead of burfi:)
try my method sure it will be burfi