This kichadi is a combination of brinjal and tomato.In Tirunelveli side they call it as kochu or gosthu.It is a best side dish for idli/dosa.Some eat it gram dhal and white rice. some with venpongal. Few call it kalyana sambar.
- Brinjal -4
- Tomato -4
- Green chillies- 4 (increase or decrease accdg. to taste)
- Onion-2(finely chopped)
- Asafoetida or Hing
- Cooking oil-2 tb
- Urad and mustard seed -1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves-1tbs
- Salt as desired.
- Chop onions,tomatoes,curryleaves and coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Cut brinjal and keep it in water to prevent discolouration.
- Method :
- Keep kadai put oil add tomato,brinjal and chillies for few minutes till tomatoes are soft.Then add water to it and cook well.
- After cooking remove the excess water keep it seperately.
- Put tomato and brinjal in a blender to get it as a smooth paste.
- Heat kadai.Add oil put mustard and urad dhal when mustard seed splutters add curry leaves and onion.Fry till it is golden brown.
- Now add the paste it.To it add the excess water which was kept asideand cook for few minutes.
- If needed add more water .It has to be in pouring consistency.
- Bring to boil.To it add asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves to it.
- Can use only tomatoes alone.
- When we use brinjal use tamarind extract for it .It will remove the sour taste too.Serve with idli,dosai with dash of sesame oil/gingelly oil
10 replies on “Kathrika and Tomato kichadi (Egg Plant)”
Wow … Tasty kichedi !!
Sounds & looks delicious😊
Thanks for stopping.
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is a new recipe for me . Will definitely try it. When trying it with tomatoes alone, must add everything else, isn’t it ? Is it tomato chutney then ?
Surely try it.If we use tomatoalone it’s tomato kichadi.Try it and let me know
Will try this out..never had the brinjal version:)
Try and let me know
we make a similar one here in our own kitchen – but I will now also try YOUR version, sounds delicious. And we love aubergines/eggplants (as you by now know from me own blog 🙂 🙂 Have a happy peaceful weekend – see you soon again/Namaskaram, Carina
Thank-you for stopping. Try and let me know.Have a nice weekend. Will keep in touch.
[…] https://anindianhomemaker.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/kathrika-and-tomato-kichadi-egg-plant/ […]