This kichadi is a combination of brinjal and tomato.In Tirunelveli side they call it as kochu or gosthu.It is a best side dish for idli/dosa.Some eat it gram dhal and white rice. some with venpongal. Few call it kalyana sambar.
- Brinjal -4
- Tomato -4
- Green chillies- 4 (increase or decrease accdg. to taste)
- Onion-2(finely chopped)
- Asafoetida or Hing
- Cooking oil-2 tb
- Urad and mustard seed -1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves-1tbs
- Salt as desired.
- Chop onions,tomatoes,curryleaves and coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Cut brinjal and keep it in water to prevent discolouration.
- Keep kadai put oil add tomato,brinjal and chillies for few minutes till tomatoes are soft.Then add water to it and cook well.
- After cooking remove the excess water keep it seperately.
- Put tomato and brinjal in a blender to get it as a smooth paste.
- Heat kadai.Add oil put mustard and urad dhal when mustard seed splutters add curry leaves and onion.Fry till it is golden brown.
- Now add the paste it.To it add the excess water which was kept asideand cook for few minutes.
- If needed add more water .It has to be in pouring consistency.
- Bring to boil.To it add asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves to it.
- Can use only tomatoes alone.
- When we use brinjal use tamarind extract for it .It will remove the sour taste too.Serve with idli,dosai with dash of sesame oil/gingelly oil