Dosa or uttappam is a common dish in almost every household in southern India. Dosa is done when the batter is poured thin and crispy whereas uttappam is when poured thick.First I’ll write the method to prepare the batter in our wat. different people use different proportions of rice and lentils for grinding the batter.The batter which we make can be used for making idli,dosai and uttappam.long back we used black gram dhal and after soaking we remove the skin before grinding.but nowadays we use skinned xurad dhal
The process involves three steps. first soaking,grinding and fermenting.To grind we can use wet grinder or a powerful blender.
Rice:4 cups (parboiled rice or some say idli rice)
Round urad dhal :1 cup
fenugreek seeds:1 tsp
Salt as desired
Water as desired
- Wash the rice till the water becomes clear.Soak in water for atleast 4 to 6 hrs.keep aside
- Clean urad dhal and soak it atleast for 2 to 3 hrs.
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it add enough water. check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.
- Approximately it will need 20 to 25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft,fluffy and flowy.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder can add rice to it.then add water to it.
- Grind the rice into a smooth paste.It will take approximately 35 to 40 mts
- Now add the batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.
- See that both the dhal and rice batter mixes well.Store in a large container as the batter rises.
- Keep aside for fermenting. it should be kept for 8 to10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic condtions .Weather is very important as in summer it will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added while grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in refrigerator in the night. If we grind in the evening can keep next morning.
Now I am going to the process of making uthapam.It is a variety of dosai which is slightly thicker than dosa.There are different types of uthapam today I,m going with vegetable uthapam.
- Dosa batter for making uthapam.
- Mixed vegetables
- Carrot grated,cabbage grated or finely chopped, onion chopped finely,capsicum ,pepper powder finely chopped,green chilies, , little salt coriander and curry leaves. These are the basic vegetables can increase or decreasethe quantity of each one according to ones taste.
- Heat dosa tawa
- Pour a laddle of batter on the tawa and spread it in a circular motion.It shpuld be thick.
- Sprinkle oil
- Now sprinkle the chopped vegetables on itevenly.
- Cover with a lid for few second when half cooked remove the lid and using the tawa spread evenly on the dosaand when cooked flip it on the other side.Now drizzle oil on it.
- When cooked remove it.
Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- Coconut scrapings or grated :1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Red chillies: 3or 4
- Tamarind a small piece
- Garlic :2 pods
- salt as needed.
Put all ingredients in a blender and grind it with water.
Heat a tablespoon oil add mustard and urad dhal after spluttering add curry leaves and to chutney.
In India we have a number of spices.Usually I post a recipe but today I thought of giving the glossary of few Indian Spices in a few language with the intention that it will be useful for beginners.With different climatic condition we produce different spices.We can use spice in different forms.Some are soaked and used, some fried,some cooked and we use in different stages of cooking . some can be used in a powdered form.Some added last to give flavour too.Below I have given a list of few spices so that it will be helpful for beginners to know about the spices used in a particular recipe.
||Unnaka mango podi
||Kayantha mangai podi
||Mamidi kaya podi
|Green gram dhal
I have been nominated for the sunshine blogger award by Lathiya.Her blog http://cookwithsmileblog.wordpress.com is a must visit one for foodies.
In South India we have poriyal or kootu as a side dish for rice.We make kootu with different vegetables.This one is a different one.I have made this kootu with drumstick pulp.We can also use pieces too.
- Drumstick :3 or 4
- coconut scrapings :1/4 cup
- Green chillies: 2 or as desired
- Mustard and urad dhal :1/4 tsp
- Garlic:2 pods
- curry leaves: afew
- Cumin seeds :1/4 tsp
1.Clean drumstick and then chop it into long pieces.May be 4 or 6 inches length.
2.In a kadai put the cleaned drumstick add water,turmeric powder and cook.
3. If there is excess water after cooking keep it aside.
4.When it is cool take a single piece and by using a spoon or knife remove pulp.
5.Mash it slightly.
6.Grind coconut,green chillies,jeera and garlic pods.
7.In a kadai put 2 tablespoon oil, then add mustard seeds and urad dhal after splutterring add curry leaves.
8.Put the drumstick pulp add salt and boil for few minutes.
9.Now add coconut paste to it and boil for few minutes.
Now tasty stew or kootu is ready.This is a very healthy dish.
This goes well with puli kulazhambu.Removing pulp while cooking lessens time while eating.My entire family likes this very much.
How about you.?
Onion pakoras is a deep fried snack. Its a commonly prepared by many. It is a proper snack also some say it as Onion Vada. It is a delicious one the onion should be thinly sliced. If it is thickly sliced then it will not be cooked properly.It is a all time starter too.
- Maida – 1 cup.
- Gram flout – 1/2 cup.
- Corn flour – 1-2 tbps.
- Onion sliced thin – 1/2-3/4 cup.
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsps or as desired.
- Ginger grated – 1/4tsps.
- Coriander finely chopped and Curry leaves also.
- Cooking soda a pinch(optional).
- Oil for frying.
- Salt to taste.
In a vessel first add all the dry ingredients and mix well then add onions coriander leaves curry leaves ginger grated and leave aside for 20-30 mins.then sprinkle water and mix well so that it can be taken in a small ball keep oil in kadai for frying now take a spoonful of this mixture and put it in the oil and fry it.After frying,excessive oil can be absorbed using paper towel.This is will be crispy outside and soft inside.Serve hot with sauce.