Dosa or uttappam is a common dish in almost every household in southern India. Dosa is done when the batter is poured thin and crispy whereas uttappam is when poured thick. First I’ll write the method to prepare the batter . Different people use different proportions of rice and lentils for grinding the batter.The batter which we make can be used for making idli,dosai and uttappam.long back we used black gram dhal and after soaking we remove the skin before grinding.but nowadays we use skinned urad dhal.
The process involves three steps. first soaking,grinding and fermenting.To grind we can use wet grinder or a powerful blender.
Rice:4 cups (parboiled rice or some say idli rice)
Round urad dhal :1 cup
fenugreek seeds:1 tsp
Salt as desired
Water as desired
- Wash the rice till the water becomes clear.Soak in water for atleast 4 to 6 hrs.keep aside
- Clean urad dhal and soak it atleast for 2 to 3 hrs.
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it add enough water. check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.
- Approximately it will need 20 to 25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft,fluffy and flowy.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder can add rice to it.then add water to it.
- Grind the rice into a smooth paste.It will take approximately 35 to 40 mts
- Now add the batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.
- See that both the dhal and rice batter mixes well.Store in a large container as the batter rises.
- Keep aside for fermenting. it should be kept for 8 to10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic condtions .Weather is very important as in summer it will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added while grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in refrigerator in the night. If we grind in the evening can keep next morning.
Now I am going to the process of making uthapam.It is a variety of dosai which is slightly thicker than dosa.There are different types of uthapam today I,m going with vegetable uthapam.
- Dosa batter for making uthapam.
- Mixed vegetables
- Carrot grated,cabbage grated or finely chopped, onion chopped finely,capsicum ,pepper powder finely chopped,green chilies, , little salt coriander and curry leaves. These are the basic vegetables can increase or decreasethe quantity of each one according to ones taste.
- Heat dosa tawa
- Pour a laddle of batter on the tawa and spread it in a circular motion.It shpuld be thick.
- Sprinkle oil
- Now sprinkle the chopped vegetables on it evenly.
- Cover with a lid for few second when half cooked remove the lid and using the tawa spread evenly on the dosaand when cooked flip it on the other side.Now drizzle oil on it.
- When cooked remove it.
Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- Coconut scrapings or grated :1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Red chillies: 3or 4
- Tamarind a small piece
- Garlic :2 pods
- salt as needed.
Put all ingredients in a blender and grind it with water.
Heat a tablespoon oil add mustard and urad dhal after spluttering add curry leaves and to chutney.