Avial is a side dish for rice.Some also eat it with adai.This is a delicious dish famous mostly in Kerala and TamilNadu.It is an essential ingredient in a sadya that is an elaborate meal is served during onam and weddings.For preparing this different vegetables can be used.The following are the vegetables that can be used.Carrot, drumstick,raw plaintain,potato,brinjal,snake guord,elephant yam,colacasia, ash guord and raw mangoes.One can choose the vegetables of their choice
Masala to grind.
- Grated coconut :1/2 cup
- Cumin /Jeera:1/2 tsp
- Shallots:3 to 4
- Garlic:3to 4 pods
First grind the coconut,greenchillies,cuminthen after few sec.add garlic coriander leaves few.Run for few sec. it should be coarsely grinded.Keep aside.
- Cut vegetables:2 cups
- Curry leaves
- mustard seeds
- Curd:3 tbs
- Cut all the veggies of your choice into 2 ” in length..Cook it with little water and a pinch of turmeric.It should not be mushy must be soft.cook it in a thick bottom pan or kadai.Do not cook in pressure cooker.Check the amount of water in between otherwise the veggies would be burnt. Cover and cook in a lowflame. The veggies should be seperate.
- Add the required amount of salt.
- Now add curd to it.
- After few seconds add the ground masala.Mix with a ladle dont mash the vegetables.
- Now drizzle coconut oil to it leave for few seconds to blend it.Fresh coconut oil aroma fills the air.Mix it.
- Lastly add the tempered items
If you use raw mangoes add it lastly as it cooks quickly.Also can reduce the amount of curd.
Best combination for sambar rice.