We have many fried snacks.And all time favourite is Potato bonda.One can use only potato and onion for stuffing or can add carrot or peas according to ones taste.
- Potato :11/2 kg
- Onion: 2or 3
- Curry leaves: few
- Carrot: 1or 2.
- Green chillies:2or 3/Or red chilly powder accdg. to taste
- Ginger grated:1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Boil or pressure cook the potatoes and peel them
- Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal
- Add finely chopped onions,curry leaves,and saute a little then add grated carrot and ginger if you are adding boiled one then can add with potato.
- when done add mashed potato to the mixture add salt and mix well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves
- Remove from fire and make it into small balls. keep aside.
- Gram flour:1 cup
- Rice flour 1/4 cup
- chilli powder 1/2 tsp to 1tsp( accdg to taste)
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda a pinch
- Water 1/2 to 1/3 rd cup
Mix all the ingredients and make it as a batter.It must be flowing .
- Heat oil in a kadai for frying.To check if the oil is hot enough to fry bondas,put a drop of batter it will raise to the surface immediately then it is ready.Now reduce the flame to medium.
- Take the potato ball dip in batter it should be coated well and then fry in oil till golden brown.Put in tissue paper for it to absorb oil.
- Serve hot with chutney or sauce
If u r ginger can less the no. of chillies, can add accdg to ones taste.If for kids can use chiili powder itself.
A very nice snack to have with tea or coffee.