The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean.It is named for it’s visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as molybdenum, folate,iron, copper,maganese, potassium,vit.K and phosphorus.It is high in protein and fibre.
I would like to share my experience of cooking this curry for the first time.It was some 26 yrs back my husband s friend who came from North India shared this curry for lunch with him and my husband wanted me to try this.My husband’s friend’s wife taught me this.The next day itself I tried this curry. It came out very well.And After she tasted it told me that it tastes good. So started preparing this curry.
Lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.It controls blood sugar also helps in weight loss too.Best for diabetes patients.
- Rajma——-200 gms
- Chilly powder—1 to 2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste—1/2to1tsp
- Onion chopped—1/2 cup
- 🍅 tomatoes chopped—1/2 cup
- Coriander powder—-1
- Masalapowder –1 tbs(optional)
- Salt as required.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight that is up to 8 to 10hrs.
- Keep cooker or pressure pan on stove and pour oil in it.Add onions till it turns brown.Then add chopped tomatoes to it Till it turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder,chilly powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add soaked rajma to it.Finally add salt.
- Close the cooker after adding required amount of water.Allow it for 5 to 6 whistles some beans may require two more.
- When it gets cooled open and add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Another method is to cook rajma separately and then add to the other ingredients after adding tomatoes.Check that the beans are cooked and are soft.
Here you can add onion paste with tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
Can be served with naan,roti, chappathi or plain rice.
Water should be added in equal quantity of rajma beans.