Coriander is a phyto nutrient dense herb rich in geraniol, limonene,campho,elemol and many others,so it helps to control blood sugar cholestrol and free radical.
We have many chutney varieties, Cilantro or KOTHAMALLI chutney is one This is with coriander leaves.
Cilantro is very low in saturated fat and cholestrol and caloric value is nearly non existent. Good in dietary fiber,Vit.A,C,E,K,Calcium,iron, potassium and magnesium. Half cup of fresh cilantro provides 270 IU of vit.A and 16,% of the daily recommended Vit.K. Cilantro gives a fresh boost of flavour without the addition of sea salt or other seasonings.It is rich in phytonutrients,flavonoids andphenotic compounds.
The vit.K and calcium content of cilantro help to build strong bones and hair.It helps to loers anxiety and improves sleep.
- Coriander leaves……1cup
- Tamarind……. Little
- Black urad dhal or white…1tbs
- Red chillies…….4 to 5
- Salt as required
If frying u need oil,1/4tsp mustard seeds,1/2tsp urad dhal.
- Thoroughly wash the coriander leaves.
- Put oil in a kadai add urad dhal and red chillies and fry.
- After frying a little add coriander leaves which are chopped.
- Keep aside and allow till it cools.
- Now add salt and tamarind and grind.
- Add little water to it. At this stage you can use it like a dip . This will be a different taste.
- Another way is that keep kadai again pour little oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add the grinded chutney to it.The water content in it will be absorbed and it will begin to get thick.
Can eat with dosai also best for curd rice.
A very protein rich diet recipe .Lobia ranks much higher on nutrition making it a hidden healthy gem. They are brimming with the goodness of B complex vitamins,proteins,zinc,calcium and iron.
It contains almost essential vitamins and minerals.Vit.A,B,B1,B2,B5,B6,C,folic acid, potassium, magnesium,selinium,sodium etc.
It is beneficial for our health .It maintains standard cholesterol level. It also removes free radicals.
Lignin is a good component is present is good for weight loss.
- Karamani……..1 cup
- Mustard seeds…1/2tsp
- Urad dhal…….1 tsp
- Asafoetida…..1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves…few
- Salt as needed
- Red chillies or green chillies…..2
- Coconut optional…..4 or 5 tbs
- Coriander leaves optional finely chopped…1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the beans for few minutes and soak it for few hours.
- Pressure cook it till it gets cooked.
- In a kadai put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal now add green or red chillies.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add cooked beans and salt mix well.
- If going to add coconut you can add now .
- Same with coriander leaves too
If for neivedyam add coconut scrapings if taking for weight loss diet can skip that.
A bottle guord or white flowered giurd is a vine grown for it’s fruit. It is harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable .When it is freshit has a light green smooth skin and white flesh. The round ones are called CALABASH guord and long ones are called bottle guord.
Bottle guord is the favourite vegetable of Indians and are especially good for old age people and toddlers.
It is rich in vitamin s like thiamine,vit.C,folate,Vit B2,B3,B5 and B6.
Also rich minerals like calcium, magnesium,phosphorus,potassium,zincand has iron and maganese too.
Bottle guord is rich in fiber so it helps preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
It helps in preventing fatigue.can have in the form of juice too.
Hollowed out and dried Calabash are used as utensils.
- Bottle guord deskinned and chopped…1 cup
- Green gram dhal.. 1/4 cup cooked and mashed
- Coconut scrapings…3 to 4 tbs
- Onion…1 finely chopped
- Tomato..1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds…1/4 tsp
- Red chillies …2
- Turmeric powder…..2 pinches
- Garlic……3 cloves
- Oil.,…..2 tbs
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Salt as required
- Coriander leaves chopped.
When you chop the bottle guord discard the stem and deskin it.
Cook dal separately and mash it.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
Grind coconut scrapings,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic cloves.
- In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal after turning brown add onions.
- When onions are transparent add tomatoes to it .
- When slightly mushy add bottle guord and pour water for cooking it.
- Add turmeric powder when half done add salt to it.
- When it is cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add coconut paste to it.
- When done finally add chopped coriander leaves.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.