A bottle guord or white flowered giurd is a vine grown for it’s fruit. It is harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable .When it is fresh it has a light green smooth skin and white flesh. The round ones are called CALABASH guord and long ones are called bottle guord.
Bottle guord is the favourite vegetable of Indians and are especially good for old age people and toddlers.
It is rich in vitamin s like thiamine,vit.C,folate,Vit B2,B3,B5 and B6.
Also rich minerals like calcium, magnesium,phosphorus,potassium,zincand has iron and maganese too.
Bottle guord is rich in fiber so it helps preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
It helps in preventing fatigue.can have in the form of juice too.
Hollowed out and dried Calabash are used as utensils.
- Bottle guord deskinned and chopped…1 cup
- Green gram dhal.. 1/4 cup cooked and mashed
- Coconut scrapings…3 to 4 tbs
- Onion…1 finely chopped
- Tomato..1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds…1/4 tsp
- Red chillies …2
- Turmeric powder…..2 pinches
- Garlic……3 cloves
- Oil.,…..2 tbs
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Salt as required
- Coriander leaves chopped.
When you chop the bottle guord discard the stem and deskin it.
Cook dal separately and mash it.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
Grind coconut scrapings,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic cloves.
- In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal after turning brown add onions.
- When onions are transparent add tomatoes to it .
- When slightly mushy add bottle guord and pour water for cooking it.
- Add turmeric powder when half done add salt to it.
- When it is cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add coconut paste to it.
- When done finally add chopped coriander leaves.