Puliyodare,Pulihora or Tamarind rice is a common rice recipe in South Indian States.This is a main course dish. This is usually a neivedyam for Pooja’s both in homes and also in temples.Also this is travel friendly recipe . Best for lunch box too.
Ingredients for mix
- Channa dhal…..2tbs
- Urad dhal……….2 TBS
- Coriander seeds..1 TSP
- Pepper……..1 Tsp
- Methi seeds..1tsp
- Red chillies …4 or 5
- Asafoetida..1/4 TSP.
In a kadai first put Channa dhal then urad dhal and dry roast it for sometime.then add coriander seeds ,pepper corns,methi seeds and red chillies. Fry a little then add asafoetida.After roasting put it in mixer grinder and make it into a fine powder.Keep it aside. Can refrigerate it and use while preparing the mix.
Ingredients for the mix
- Tamarind..lime size
- Mustard seeds…1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal……1/2 TSP
- Channa dhal…1/2 TSP
- Groundnuts….4 TBS
- Curry leaves….few
- Red chillies…..3
- Jaggery a small piece.
- Gingelly oil ..4 tbs
- Turmeric powder…1/4 TSP
- Salt as required
- Asafoetida…1/4 TSP
- In a kadai add gingelly oil.
- When it gets heated add mustard seeds then urad dhal and Channa dhal.
- When it gets roasted add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder
- Now add ground nuts
- Fry a little and add the grounded powder to it.
- Now let it mix well
- Add tamarind extract to it.
- Allow it to boil.
- When it starts thickening add required salt.
- Till it is like a halwa stage
- Remove from fire and store in airtight container.
- Take a cup of cooked rice and mix with it.
- Serve with papad or vathal.
A very easy snack which is tasty.This can be made with either maida or wheat flour. This recipe is with maida.Spicy cuts when made with Maida is light in texture but when wheat is used it is dense.
- Maida………..11/2 cup
- Asafoetida….1/4 TSP
- Hot oil…..1 TBS
- Chilli powder…1/4 TSP or chillies 3 or 4 and garlic 4 pods grinded into paste.
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for frying.
- Mix flour,salt, asafoetida either chilli powder or chilli paste hot oil.
- Now add water to the mixture andmake it as a dough.
- Divide into 4 balls.
- Roll it into chappathi.
- With the help of a knife or cutter begin to cut vertically with 1″ apart straight lines and then cross ways. Now we get diamond shape cuts.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When hot add few cuts.
- Fry until golden and crispy.
- Fry in batches and store air tight containers after draining oil.
Van increase or decrease the chilli powder or number of chillies according to ones taste.
Kadala parupu sundal is a variety of sundal. This can be easily prepared even without soaking the Bengal gram.
- Bengal gram …..250 gms
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Salt as needed.
- Oil……2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal….1 TSP
- Curry leaves..a few
- Green chillies 1 to 2
- Wash and cook Bengal gram in a pressure cooker with enough water for two whistles. If there is excess water can use for other recipes like rasam.
- In a kadai pour 2 TBS oil then mustard seeds it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown and split chillies fry it.
- Now add cooked Bengal gram to it
- Finally add coconut scrapings.
You can decrease the amount of coconut scrapings.
Can add coriander leaves too.