I have given many curry recipes. This one is Kerala style where we use coconut scrapings too for grinding masala.I have used coconut oil but can use oil of your choice.It is a combination of flavour and taste. The roasted coconut is the keen flavour of this curry. Traditional recipe.
- Small onion or Shallots…..1 cup
- Red chillies…4 to 6
- Coriander seeds…1 tsp
- Cumin seeds…..1 tsp
- Pepper……10 nos
- Coconut scrapings..1/2 cup
- Curry leaves a few
- Tamarind….lime size
- Turmeric powder….2 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds…1/4 tsp
For the masala:
- In a kadai pour some oil.
- Add coriander seeds,pepper,cumin seeds,red chillies.
- After trying a little add coconut scrapings and fry till golden brown.
- When cold grind into a fine paste if needed add water.
- Keep aside.
- In a kadai put little oil.When it gets heated add curry leaves and small onions.
- Fry till it turns golden brown.
- Now add tamarind extract
- Add the masala paste and required salt to it
- When it gets thickened add sea soning to it.
It takes about 10 to 15 mts.
Optional add 1 tsp of jaggery to it while boiling it will be of different taste.
In my home first we put dhal and then this gravy to rice. Some take it without it.We can eat with porial or kootu.
For curd rice this will be a good combination too.