Another stir fry for vegans from me.Easy to prepare.Beetroot is not only attractive but also very rich in nutrients.
- Mustard_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal______1/2 TSP
- Curry leaves____1 sprig
- Onions________1 or 2
- Green chillies____3 nos
- Coconut scrapings___1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
1.Peel beetroot and keep in pressure cooker for two whistles.When cool cut into small pieces.Keep aside.
2.Heat a pan.Add oil to it .To it add mustard seeds.when it splutters add urad dhal.
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onions or shallots with green chillies.
4. When done add cut beetroot mix well then add salt and finally coxnut scrapings.
Serve with rice as a side dish.
Goes well with sambar as well as curd rice.
Another variation is can grind coconut with green chillies and 1/4 TSP cumin seeds and instead of adding coconut scrapings add this grinded mixture.
1.When a drain is clogged with grease put a cup of salt and a cup of baking soda into the drain.Then poura kettle of boiling water.This will remove grease.
2.Attached blouse pieces which come with sarees cannot be used.These blouse pieces can be used for stitching small pouches.
3.With bathi’s asheswe can wipe brass handle it will shine
4. If children draw with wax crayons can blow with hair drier when it starts melting canrub it off easily.
5.After using fevicol put few drops of water in it and store.
6.If going to work that is paint or embroidery first wash and then draw the design and start working.
7.For drawing kolams on tile floors we can use children’s crayons.
An easy recipe with few vegetables.This stir fry can be done quickly.Basically a mixed vegetable thoran.It is nutritious and delicious dish.it can be done with a variety of vegetables here I have used cabbage,peas and carrot.
- Mixed vegetables________3 cups
- Shallots ___few or onion finely chopped.
- Coconut_____grated 1/3 cup
- Curry leaves ____a sprig
- Green chillies_____2 chopped
- Red chilly________1
- Oil______2 TBS
- Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal____1/2 TSp
- Boil vegetables and keep aside
- In a pan first put oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal
- Add red chillies
- Now add chopped onion or shallots and green chillies to it and fry after adding curry leaves
- Add the boiled vegetables.
- Mix well and add salt and finally grated coconut to it.it is ready.
This is served as a side dish for lunch or dinner with rice and some curry.the vegetables can be chopped ,diced or grated.
Another option is that can add vegetables without boiling and fry sprinkling water and dry fry it with a generous àmout of coconut.
This type of vegetable kurma can be had with roti,parotta ,ghee rice or fried rice.q
Masala to be grinded
- Coconut grated ____1/2 to3/4 cup
- Green chillies_______3 to 4
- Cashew nuts________7 to 8
- Small onions________6 nos
- Garlic______________few flakes
- Ginger chopped___1 inch size
- Fennel seeds______2 TBS
- Cinnamon________2 pieces
- Poppy seeds______2tbs
All these are to be grinded raw.
Vegetables _carrot,beans,potato,beans all these are to be cut and boiled orcan be cooked incooker in one whistle.
- Onion____2 finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil _______2 TBS
- 1 TSP____fennel seeds.
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbs
- Ina saucepan put oil then add fennel seeds
- Now add chopped onions to it.
- After saying add the grinded paste.fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the boiled or cooked vegetables,required salt to it.when it mixes well add chopped coriander leaves.
This is a vegetable with very high fibre content.This is a simple recipe .After washing the beanswe have to destring it. Snap off the tip of one end of the bean and pull the string .Snap and pull the other end of the bean too.The snapped off ends and string are waste. If it is small and tender then snap of the ends it will be enough.Chop the avarakai add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder and cook.
- Avarakai____500 gms
- Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard seeds___1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal_______,1/4 TSP
- Curry leaves_____a few
- Salt as needed
- Coconut scraping 1/3rd cup
- Cumin seeds______1/2 TSP
- Garlic ________2pods
- Coriander leaves few
- Green chillies few
- Add oil in a pan.when it gets heated add mustard seeds after spluttering add urad dhal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the boiled vegetables,salt and after few minutes add the grinded paste to it.
- Mix well.
- After the raw smellgoes switch off .Serve with rice
A side dish recipe from me.My daughter wanted a different side dish for fried rice other than kurma.So we tried this and it came our well.Soya chunks are rich in protein and fibre.An healthy food.
Soya chunks ______1cup
Ginger and garlic finely chopped or paste 1 TSP
Oil for frying
1. Boil water and add soya chunks to it with little salt.Leave for 5 MTS.Then drain the water
2Now mix corn flour,salt,if needed little chilly powder and fry
3In a kadai put 3 TBS. Of oil now add chopped onion ginger garlic or if past can add later on.
4.Saute a little add capsicum and carrot (optional).
5.Now add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,soya sauce and little water allow it to boil.
Few minutes before switching off the stove add fried chunks to it.If you want to have a thickened gravy add corn flour dissolved in water and add to it.
6.Finally add chopped coriander leaves ànd serve with fried rice.
Side dish for chappathi,fried rice, hi ow to make soya chunks Manchurian.
A bachelor’s receive from me.An easy breakfast or evening snack.Also lunch box special.
- Bread slices______6 to 8
- Green chillies _____2
- Capsicum__________1 or 2
- Red chilly powder___1/2 TSP
- Mustard seeds_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal____________1/2 TSP
- Turmeric powder____1/4tsp
- Lemon juice_________1/2 TSP
- Sambarpowder/garam masala powder1/2 to 3/4 TSP(optional)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste___1/2 TSp
Slice onions,cut tomatoes and capsicum.
If you are adding other vegetables cut it if adding potato par boil and add it.
1.First toast bread slices on a tawa and cut into pieces.
2.In a kadai put oil in it.
3.Add mustard seeds after it spluters add urad dhal.
4.First add sliced onions saute a little then add tomatoes when tomatoes are half done add capsicum.If you are adding other veggies add now.
5.Now add red chilly powder,ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and required salt and fry then add lemon juice.
6.When it is done finally add bread slices.
7Mix well add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can add ghee and csahews while giving for kids.
- Can add sambar powder instead of garam masala powder.
- Can skip both powders and do as regular upma.
Lunch box special, kids friendly, breakfast receive, evening snack receive,bachelor’s recipe.Indian cooking
Another rice variety from me.Many prepare this in different ways. I learnt this from my mother.In this method rice and djal are cooked and then it is prepared.
Tamarind____a small lime size
Turmeric powder____1/4 TSP
Asafoetida______ 1/4 TSP
Veggies___peas,carrot,beans and potato cut into small squares.
Ghee_____ 3 to 4 tbs
Salt as required
Chopped coriander leaves
To roast and grind into coarse powder.
Red chillies___ 3to4
Channa dhal___3 TBS
Dry roast these ingredients and grind into powder.
Oil ___2 TBS
Coconut 3 to 4 TBS
Fry these ingredients lightly and then grind it coarsely without adding water.
Mustard seeds_____1/4 TSP
Urad dhal__________1/2 TSP
- Cook rice and dhal separately.
- Keep cooker in stove.pour3 TBS ghee into it.
- Put onions first saute a little then add cut veggies saute
- Add tamarind extract (enough for cooking veegies)
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt.
- After the veggies are half way done add the powder to it and allow it to boil.
- Add cooked shal first and then cooked rice finally coarsely grounded coconut.
- Add seasoning and chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed add more ghee
- It will be loose initially but will set after sometime.
- Serve with papad or vadams.
South Indian cooking,lunch box recipe,sambar sadam, rice recipes.