Another single variety rice .Cauliflower is a very good source of vitamin.C and manganese.It is low in fat,high in fiber and have antioxidant and inflammatory properties.
First we have to get the cauliflower ready for the rice.in this we prepare a batter to fry the florets.
Ingredients for batter
- All purpose flour/Maida ____1/2 cup
- Corn flour ______1/2 cup
- Chilli powder___1 tbs
- Food color(optional)
- Garam masala__1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil for frying the florets.
Cut cauliflower into florets.Put in hot water with salt to clean it.Now dip the florets in batter and then fry it.Keep aside.
- Rice ___3 cups
- Green chillies ___2 or 3
- Carrot chopped__1 cup
- Cabbage chopped_2cups
- Chilli powder___2 tsp
- Pepper powder_2tsp
- Garam masala_1 tbs
- Tomato sauce___3tbs
- Chilli sauce__1 or 2tsp
- Soya sauce__1 tbs
- Salt as needed
- Oil 4 tbs
- In a kadai put oil.
- Add green chillies slit to it
- Add chopped carrots to it and fry a little
- Now add chopped cabbage to it
- To this add fried cauliflower,then chilli powder,pepper powder,all sauces and required salt
- Finally add cooked rice to it.
Serve with raitha and papas.
I came to know about Sharja after I settled in Trivandrum.This became popular from early nineties.Banana milk shake available in Kerala bakeries and juice shops.Its very filling.Also kids will like this very much.Best for summer.
- Milk frozen ______1 milk packet(500 ml)
- Bananas _5 Now(small ones)
- Instant coffee powder_1/2 to 1 tsp
- Salted peanuts_2 to 3 tbs
- Sugar _2 to 3 tsp
- Mash frozen milk
- To one half of the milk add peeled and cut bananas and peanuts and blend a little
- Then add sugar,boost and pulse well.
- Pour in a glass serve with crushed nuts.
- Can a scoop of ice cream while serving.
Can add chocolate powder with chocolate chips for chocolate sharja.
Vangi Bhath is a South Indian dish.In a simple way we call it brinjal rice.A single rice recipe and also tiffinbox recipe too.The powder is the key ingredient for this rice.can store the powder in fridge for up to 10 days and use it when needed.
Rice 2 bowls cookedBrinjal 1 cup cut lengthwise
- Red chillies 4 or 5
- Coriander seeds 2 tbs
- Channa dhal 2tbs
- Urad dhal 2tbs
- Pepper1 tsp
- Cinnamon a small piece
- khus khus 1tsp
- Grated Dry coconut2tbs(optional)
- Oil for seasoning
- Mustardseeds1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Dry roast the ingredients separately and powder it.
- Take a pan put little oil .
- Put mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal fry a little add curry leaves.
- Now add cut brinjals to it.fry .when almost done add the powder and required salt.
- When it mixes well add cooked rice to it.
Serve with raitha or papads
Bread halwa can be easily prepared when compared with other types of halwa.This recipe can convert a boring food a bread into an interesting sweet.
- Bread__6 slices
- Milk__2 cups
- Cashews__1/4 cups
- Sugar__1/2 to 3/4 cups
- Ghee ___1/2 cup
- Remove edges from the sides of the bread and cut into small pieces.(some use the brown edges too)
- Pour ghee in a kadai and first fry cashews in it.keep aside few for garnishing and the rest powder it
- In the remaining ghee add bread pieces and fry
- When it is fried add milk to it.Allow it to cook.
- Then add the powdered cashews and sugar to the mixture.
- When it leaves the sides of the pan add fried cashews and then remove it.
Never reduce the quantity of ghee otherwise it will be sticky.
Can add badam also instead of cashews.
Another easy recipe from me.This can be prepared with freshly made idlis or from left over ones.This is a kids friendly recipeThis is a Tiffin recipe for lunch or evening snack.
- Small idly or bigger ones cut into pieces.
- Oil for frying
- Onion_____2or 3
- Tomato___1 or 2
- Garlic_____few pods
- Ginger____14 tsp.grated
- Or can use ginger garlic paste
- Chilly sauce___1/2 tsp
- Tomato sauce_1/2 tsp
- Soya sauce_1/2 tsp
- Sugar _____1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Idli_ __ 5 nos cut into pieces or small idlis a bowl.Fry idols either by shallow fry method or deep fry and keep aside
- Heat oil in a kadai first add onions after frying a little add capsicum,tomatoes and green chilly
- Now add ginger and garlic or ginger and garlic paste.
- After frying a little add tomato sauce,chilli sauce,soya sauce,sugar.
- Sprinkle little water after adding salt to it.
- When the masala is mixed well add fried idlis to it.
- See that the masala blends well with the idly
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Serve with raitha or Sambhar and chutney
- When you fry dont fry too brown It should be crisp outside and soft inside.
- Can add red chilli powder or pepper powder reducing ginger garlic paste.
- When frying if it sticks refrigerate idlis for some time.
- If packing for kids avoid green chilly and can reduce ginger garlic paste.
Another stir fry for vegans from me.Easy to prepare.Beetroot is not only attractive but also very rich in nutrients.
- Mustard_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal______1/2 TSP
- Curry leaves____1 sprig
- Onions________1 or 2
- Green chillies____3 nos
- Coconut scrapings___1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
1.Peel beetroot and keep in pressure cooker for two whistles.When cool cut into small pieces.Keep aside.
2.Heat a pan.Add oil to it .To it add mustard seeds.when it splutters add urad dhal.
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onions or shallots with green chillies.
4. When done add cut beetroot mix well then add salt and finally coxnut scrapings.
Serve with rice as a side dish.
Goes well with sambar as well as curd rice.
Another variation is can grind coconut with green chillies and 1/4 TSP cumin seeds and instead of adding coconut scrapings add this grinded mixture.
This type of vegetable kurma can be had with roti,parotta ,ghee rice or fried rice.q
Masala to be grinded
- Coconut grated ____1/2 to3/4 cup
- Green chillies_______3 to 4
- Cashew nuts________7 to 8
- Small onions________6 nos
- Garlic______________few flakes
- Ginger chopped___1 inch size
- Fennel seeds______2 TBS
- Cinnamon________2 pieces
- Poppy seeds______2tbs
All these are to be grinded raw.
Vegetables _carrot,beans,potato,beans all these are to be cut and boiled orcan be cooked incooker in one whistle.
- Onion____2 finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil _______2 TBS
- 1 TSP____fennel seeds.
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbs
- Ina saucepan put oil then add fennel seeds
- Now add chopped onions to it.
- After saying add the grinded paste.fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the boiled or cooked vegetables,required salt to it.when it mixes well add chopped coriander leaves.
This is a vegetable with very high fibre content.This is a simple recipe .After washing the beanswe have to destring it. Snap off the tip of one end of the bean and pull the string .Snap and pull the other end of the bean too.The snapped off ends and string are waste. If it is small and tender then snap of the ends it will be enough.Chop the avarakai add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder and cook.
- Avarakai____500 gms
- Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard seeds___1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal_______,1/4 TSP
- Curry leaves_____a few
- Salt as needed
- Coconut scraping 1/3rd cup
- Cumin seeds______1/2 TSP
- Garlic ________2pods
- Coriander leaves few
- Green chillies few
- Add oil in a pan.when it gets heated add mustard seeds after spluttering add urad dhal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the boiled vegetables,salt and after few minutes add the grinded paste to it.
- Mix well.
- After the raw smellgoes switch off .Serve with rice
A side dish recipe from me.My daughter wanted a different side dish for fried rice other than kurma.So we tried this and it came our well.Soya chunks are rich in protein and fibre.An healthy food.
Soya chunks ______1cup
Ginger and garlic finely chopped or paste 1 TSP
Oil for frying
1. Boil water and add soya chunks to it with little salt.Leave for 5 MTS.Then drain the water
2Now mix corn flour,salt,if needed little chilly powder and fry
3In a kadai put 3 TBS. Of oil now add chopped onion ginger garlic or if past can add later on.
4.Saute a little add capsicum and carrot (optional).
5.Now add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,soya sauce and little water allow it to boil.
Few minutes before switching off the stove add fried chunks to it.If you want to have a thickened gravy add corn flour dissolved in water and add to it.
6.Finally add chopped coriander leaves ànd serve with fried rice.
Side dish for chappathi,fried rice, hi ow to make soya chunks Manchurian.
Another rice variety from me.Many prepare this in different ways. I learnt this from my mother.In this method rice and djal are cooked and then it is prepared.
Tamarind____a small lime size
Turmeric powder____1/4 TSP
Asafoetida______ 1/4 TSP
Veggies___peas,carrot,beans and potato cut into small squares.
Ghee_____ 3 to 4 tbs
Salt as required
Chopped coriander leaves
To roast and grind into coarse powder.
Red chillies___ 3to4
Channa dhal___3 TBS
Dry roast these ingredients and grind into powder.
Oil ___2 TBS
Coconut 3 to 4 TBS
Fry these ingredients lightly and then grind it coarsely without adding water.
Mustard seeds_____1/4 TSP
Urad dhal__________1/2 TSP
- Cook rice and dhal separately.
- Keep cooker in stove.pour3 TBS ghee into it.
- Put onions first saute a little then add cut veggies saute
- Add tamarind extract (enough for cooking veegies)
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt.
- After the veggies are half way done add the powder to it and allow it to boil.
- Add cooked shal first and then cooked rice finally coarsely grounded coconut.
- Add seasoning and chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed add more ghee
- It will be loose initially but will set after sometime.
- Serve with papad or vadams.
South Indian cooking,lunch box recipe,sambar sadam, rice recipes.