A bottle guord or white flowered giurd is a vine grown for it’s fruit. It is harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable .When it is freshit has a light green smooth skin and white flesh. The round ones are called CALABASH guord and long ones are called bottle guord.
Bottle guord are in if the favourite vegetable of Indians and are especially good for old age people and toddlers.
It is rich in vitamin s like thiamine,vit.C,folate,Vit B2,B3,B5 and B6.
Also rich minerals like calcium, magnesium,phosphorus,potassium,zincand has iron and maganese too.
Bottle guord is rich in fiber so it helps preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
It helps in preventing fatigue.can have in the form of juice too.
Hollowed out and dried Calabash are used as utensils.
- Bottle guord deskinned and chopped…1 cup
- Green gram dhal.. 1/4 cup cooked and mashed
- Coconut scrapings…3 to 4 tbs
- Onion…1 finely chopped
- Tomato..1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds…1/4 tsp
- Red chillies …2
- Turmeric powder…..2 pinches
- Garlic……3 cloves
- Oil.,…..2 tbs
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Salt as required
- Coriander leaves chopped.
When u chop the bottle guord discard the stem and deskinned it.
Cook dal separately and mash it.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
Grind coconut scrapings,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic cloves.
- In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds when it splutters addurad dhal after turning brown add onions.
- When onions are transparent add tomorrow’s to it .
- When slightly mushy add bottle guord and pour water for cooking it.
- Add turmeric powder when half done add salt to it.
- When it is cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add coconut paste to it.
- When done finally add chopped coriander leaves.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
I have given a number of single rice recipes. This post is a single rice preparation which is very easy to prepare. Almost all kids favourite is 🥔. It is also a lunch box recipe. I cooked rice seperately and prepared potato separately.
- Cooked rice……1 cup
- Potatoes…………2 cut into small cubes
- Ginger garlic paste…..1 tsp
- Chilly powder………….1 tsp
- Turmeric powder…….1tsp
- Onion…………..1 or 2finely chopped
- Vegetable masala powder…1 tsp
- Oil……….as required
- Salt …….as required
- Coriander leaves……finely chopped.
- Cinnamon…1 piece
- Star anise….1
- Cook rice separately remember it should not be mushy.
- Boil potatoes and cut it into cubes.
- Pour oil in the pan. If it is for kids can use ghee instead of oil.
- Now put fry masala ingredients cinnamon,star anise, cloves and cardomom.
- After sauting add chopped onions fry a little add cubed potatoes now add turmeric powder, chilly powder, vegetable masala powder and salt.Fry till it is crispy.
- Now add the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can serve with raita and papad.
When giving for kids remove the whole spices after cooking and before serving for kids .
An evening time snack. An easy preparation. Since this is by steaming it is healthier.
- Fine rice flour…1cup
- Oil.. ……………..1tbs to 2tbs
- Urad dhal…..1tsp
- Red chillies…2 or3
- Curry leaves…a few
- Grated coconut….1/4 cup
- Onion……….1 finely chopped.
- Put 1 tbs oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when the splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion s and fry
- Add this mixture to the rice flour.
- Now add the coconut scrapings to the flour.
- Allow water to boil and add salt and oil to it.
- Using a kitchen ladle slowly add the boiling water in the rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now cook the KOZHUKATTAI balls by steaming method.
You can avoid chopped onions if you don’t prefer. I prefer this because it enhances the taste.
Among dosai varieties rawa dosai is one.This is common in South India.We have it either for breakfast or for dinner.Each have different combinations the following is mine.
- Roasted rawa……1 cup
- Rice flour………….1 cup
- Chopped onions.1/4 cup
- Green chillies……2
- Grated ginger….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves..a few
- Coriander leaves..chopped 1 or 2 tbs.
- Cumin seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds..1/4 tsp
- Split urad dhal…1/2 tsp
- Coconut cut into small bits
- Salt to taste.
- Put oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add split urad dhal when it turns brown.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Now add curry leaves,chopped onion and green chillies.when it turns brown add to batter.
- Mix maida,rice flour and rawa with salt now add 2 to 2.5 cup water it should be watery.
- Now add the fried items chopped coconut,coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat dosa tawa.
- Pour ladle of batter from edges to centre
- Spread oil all over the dosa
- It takes time
- Add more rice flour and maida if it is sticky.
- If going to add cashews can put in the tawa and then pour the batter.
- For a variation can add grated 🥕.
I have added green chillies can add pepper instead of it
Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
- Rice..2 cups
- Carrot………1 or 2
- Green Chillies….4
- Big onion…2 to 3
- Coriander leaves..1 bunch
- Peas…1/2 cup
- Mint leaves…1bunch
- Potato ..1 large
- Turmeric…2 tsp
- Water..4cups or coconut milk
- Garlic…8 flakes
- Ginger…1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Bread few slices
Wash and drain rice.
Peel and cut carrots and potatoes in long,thin slices.
Slice onions and split green chillies
Grind ginger and garlic
Cut bread into small pieces and fry in ghee.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee then add cinnamon,cloves,cardomoms and cashews.
- Now add onions and green chillies till crisp.
- Add tomato pieces and ground masala fry till the oil separate s
- Add other vegetables fry slightly and now add water or coconut milk.
- When it begins to boil add mint leaves,coriander leaves,turmeric powder ,salt and finally rice.
- Close the cooker with it’s lid
- Put weight and cook for 10 mts on slow fire or keep for one whistle
- Remove from the stove and allow the pressure to subside.
- Remove weight open the lid and add bread and lime juice and mix well.
If you want more spicy can add chilly powder also can add ready-made briyani masala.
This is a flavourful Indian rice dish.
Serve with raitha and papad.
Keralites prepare different types of thoran.Green gram thoran is one among them.Green gram is very rich in proteins,iron,Vit.B, Magnesium,Vit A,Calcium and Vit.B12.
In short it is packed with protein and low carbs.It is filling even small quantity is taken.It is easy to digest.
I learnt this recipe after my marriage when I came to Kerala.
- Coconut scrapings…1/4 cup
- Green gram………… .1 cup
- Red chillies………. ..2 or 3
- Curry leaves……. a few
- Cumin seeds…….1/4 tsp
- Shallots……… A few.
- Garlic pods…..2 or 3
- Coconut oil….1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp.
Wash and soak green gram for atleast
- Pressure cook green gram for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Put shallots,green chillies and garlic pods in a jar and whip it.
- Take a kadai when it gets heated pour coconut oil
- Now add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves then add coconut scrapings and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add cooked green gram and grounded mixture and salt and mix well.
Some grind coconut scrapings green chillies , garlic pods and cumin seeds and add to the mixture.
Any option according to your taste.
This thoran is a side dish for rice but in Kerala they take it as a side dish with kanji which is a favourite food for Keralites.
Navaratri is close by so thought of posting a sundal recipe .This is slightly different from the regular method.This is very healthy evening time snack for children too.Very easy to prepare.
- Peanut…….250 gms
- Red chillies…2 or 3
- Oil………2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1 tsp
- Coconut scrapings….2 TBS
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Sundal powder …1 tsp or 2 tsp
- Onion chopped 1 tbs(optional)
- Coriander seeds….2 TBS
- Channa dhal……..2 TBS
- Red chillies………2 or 3
- Dry roast all three and powder it.
- Can keep in refrigerator for many days
1.Soak peanuts for few hours.
2.Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3.In a kadai pour oil when heated add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
4.When it turns brown if you are adding onions add after putting red chillies then add curry leaves.
5. Add peanut to it then salt,two tsp of powder, coconut scrapings.
6. Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Some will not use onion during Navaratri then u can skip that.
If u don’t want the powder u can increase the number of red chillies.
Some don’t likecoriander leaves if u don’t want can skip that too
Arbi fry can be a starter or can be eaten as a side dish for variety rice like lime rice or even for rasam.In my home it’s a all time favourite for all.
- Salt as required
- Red chilli powder
- Oil for frying.
- 1 to 2 TBS oil to marinate
- Clean colacasia and you steam cook or cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Remove the skin .It will peel off easilyShould be slimy but not mushy.
- Add chilli powder and sprinkle salt and oil to marinate after cutting into 2 pieces.
- Marinate and keep it in fridge for 10 to 15 mts.
- Either fry it deep fry or fry in a non-stick pan adding oil liberally.
The vegetable has to be cooked properly.It goes well with morkulambu.
Red kidney beans is a variety of the common beans.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as folate, cz molybdenum,iron,copper,manganese, potassium,vit.K,and phosphorus.
- Rajma beans……..1cup
- Oil………….1 to 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3 as required
- Curry leaves ….A few
- Coconut scrapings….2 tsp
- Salt as required.
Soak rajma overnight for 7 to 8 hrs.And pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Keep aside the cooked beans.
- In a kadai.pour oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it gets fried add cooked rajma salt and when it blends well add coconut scrapings.