This type of vegetable kurma can be had with roti,parotta ,ghee rice or fried rice.q
Masala to be grinded
- Coconut grated ____1/2 to3/4 cup
- Green chillies_______3 to 4
- Cashew nuts________7 to 8
- Small onions________6 nos
- Garlic______________few flakes
- Ginger chopped___1 inch size
- Fennel seeds______2 TBS
- Cinnamon________2 pieces
- Poppy seeds______2tbs
All these are to be grinded raw.
Vegetables _carrot,beans,potato,beans all these are to be cut and boiled orcan be cooked incooker in one whistle.
- Onion____2 finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil _______2 TBS
- 1 TSP____fennel seeds.
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbs
- Ina saucepan put oil then add fennel seeds
- Now add chopped onions to it.
- After saying add the grinded paste.fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the boiled or cooked vegetables,required salt to it.when it mixes well add chopped coriander leaves.
This is a vegetable with very high fibre content.This is a simple recipe .After washing the beanswe have to destring it. Snap off the tip of one end of the bean and pull the string .Snap and pull the other end of the bean too.The snapped off ends and string are waste. If it is small and tender then snap of the ends it will be enough.Chop the avarakai add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder and cook.
- Avarakai____500 gms
- Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard seeds___1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal_______,1/4 TSP
- Curry leaves_____a few
- Salt as needed
- Coconut scraping 1/3rd cup
- Cumin seeds______1/2 TSP
- Garlic ________2pods
- Coriander leaves few
- Green chillies few
- Add oil in a pan.when it gets heated add mustard seeds after spluttering add urad dhal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the boiled vegetables,salt and after few minutes add the grinded paste to it.
- Mix well.
- After the raw smellgoes switch off .Serve with rice
A side dish recipe from me.My daughter wanted a different side dish for fried rice other than kurma.So we tried this and it came our well.Soya chunks are rich in protein and fibre.An healthy food.
Soya chunks ______1cup
Ginger and garlic finely chopped or paste 1 TSP
Oil for frying
1. Boil water and add soya chunks to it with little salt.Leave for 5 MTS.Then drain the water
2Now mix corn flour,salt,if needed little chilly powder and fry
3In a kadai put 3 TBS. Of oil now add chopped onion ginger garlic or if past can add later on.
4.Saute a little add capsicum and carrot (optional).
5.Now add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,soya sauce and little water allow it to boil.
Few minutes before switching off the stove add fried chunks to it.If you want to have a thickened gravy add corn flour dissolved in water and add to it.
6.Finally add chopped coriander leaves ànd serve with fried rice.
Side dish for chappathi,fried rice, hi ow to make soya chunks Manchurian.
Another rice variety from me.Many prepare this in different ways. I learnt this from my mother.In this method rice and djal are cooked and then it is prepared.
Tamarind____a small lime size
Turmeric powder____1/4 TSP
Asafoetida______ 1/4 TSP
Veggies___peas,carrot,beans and potato cut into small squares.
Ghee_____ 3 to 4 tbs
Salt as required
Chopped coriander leaves
To roast and grind into coarse powder.
Red chillies___ 3to4
Channa dhal___3 TBS
Dry roast these ingredients and grind into powder.
Oil ___2 TBS
Coconut 3 to 4 TBS
Fry these ingredients lightly and then grind it coarsely without adding water.
Mustard seeds_____1/4 TSP
Urad dhal__________1/2 TSP
- Cook rice and dhal separately.
- Keep cooker in stove.pour3 TBS ghee into it.
- Put onions first saute a little then add cut veggies saute
- Add tamarind extract (enough for cooking veegies)
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt.
- After the veggies are half way done add the powder to it and allow it to boil.
- Add cooked shal first and then cooked rice finally coarsely grounded coconut.
- Add seasoning and chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed add more ghee
- It will be loose initially but will set after sometime.
- Serve with papad or vadams.
South Indian cooking,lunch box recipe,sambar sadam, rice recipes.
Pala kottai poriyal is another traditional recipe .Simple and easy recipe with easily available ingredient.After eating the fruit the seeds can be used for cooking.we can use the seeds in sambar,cook it with other vegetable while preparing avial,roast it and can also be cooked with raw fruit
First remove seed from the fruit.Then from the seedremove the outer white skin from the seed.We can apply oil in our hands.Then cut the seeds I two..we can cook it separately or else can cook while cooking riceIf it is tender 2 or 3 whistles is enough or else few more whistles.
Mustard seeds____3/4 tsp
Urad dhal_________1/2 TSP
Chilly powder______1 to 2 TSP
Salt as required
Coconut scrapings___1 to 2 TBS.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal fry till it turns brown
- Add chopped onions and fry then add curry leaves.
- Now add chilli powder salt as needed.
- Fry a little add palakottai which are boiled
- When everything mixes well add coconut scrapings
Side dish for rice.how to cook palakottai,jackfruit seed stir fry.
Another lunch box recipe from me.This is South Indian style,simple and easy recipe.Mint is a good source of vitamins and iron.I have used coriander leaves too.
- Mint leaves___ 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Coriander leaves___1/2 cup
- Green cillies________2 or 3
- Red chillies_________2
- Garlic pods_________4 or 5pods
- Onions______ 2 or 3 or shallots few
- Ginger_______a small piece
- Coconut scrapings 1 TBS.(optional)
Cooked rice 1 cup
- Ghee or oil ___1 to 2 TBS.
- Bay leaf_______1
- Cashews ______a few
- Bengal gram dhal 1 TBS.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal______1 tsp
Juice of half lemon.
- In a kadai pour oil for frying.
- Now add red chillies,green chillies,garlic and onion fry for rew seconds. If you are adding coconut add now. Then add mint and coriander leaves and fry.
- When cool grind it into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Now in a kadai add ghee if for small children or oil.
- Put bay leaf and mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal then Bengal gram dhal and then cashews .
- Add sliced onions (optional).
- Now add the ground paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add salt and finally cooked rice.
- Mix well.
Serve with onion raitha.
Can add any vegetables like carrots or peas to enhance the nuritive value.
Black gram dhal rice is famous in Tirunelveli District.It is rich in protein.As this dhal is rich in iron this is given to girls when they strain puberty also this strengthens the uterus and bones. This is especially good for teenaged girls.
Split urad dhal_____1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds_____1/4 TSP
1.Dry roast black gram dhal.
2.Wash rice and dhal together.Keep it either directly or in a vessel.
3.water should be three and half times..
4.To it add garlic pods coconut scrapings and required amount of salt.
Keep it for 3 whistles.
Black sesame seeds 4 tbs
Red chillies 3 or 4
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarind a small piece
Oil 1 tbs
1.Pour oil in a kadai .Add sesma seeds and red chillies.
2.Then add coconut scrapings fry a little.
3.When cool grind it with tamarind and salt.
RED CHILLIES CHUTNEY
Red chillies 2 or 3
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarin a piece
Oil 2 tbs.
1.Pour oil in a kadai.
2.Add red chillies fry a little then add coconut scrapings.
3. When cool add tamarind and salt and grind it.
Serve with Avial or Okra Pachadi and Papadam.
While mixing rice and thovaial add a dash of sesame oil.
I have used split black gram with skin but can use dhal without skin .
Another South Indian style kootu to share with you all.This is a best side dish for rice and it goes well with chappathi too.
chow chow:2 cups chopped
Moong dhal: 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder:1/4 tsp
curry leaves: a few
Milk: 3 tbs.
Mustard seeds and urad dhal
Coconut grated 3 to 4 tbs
garlic pods:3t0 4 pods
Redchillies:1 to 2.as desired
1.Peel the skin of chow chow and cut into small cubes.Keep aside
2.Grind all the ingredients
3.Cook dhal seperately and mash it well
4.Cook chow chow with turmeric powder when done add required salt add the cooked dhal also to it
5.add the grinded mixture to it and blend well.
6.heat oil add mustard seeds,urad and curry leaves fry and add to it.
7.Lastly add milk to it. Its ready for serving with rice or chappathi
This is a very traditional syle of kootu.Goes well with vathal kuzhambu/puli kulambu also for sambar rice.
We have many chutney varieties for dosai and idli. This is an easy recipie without coconut.According to ones taste you can alter the quantity of onion and tomato.
Big onion -2
Red chillies: 2 or 3
Garlic few pods
coriander and mint and curry leaves
Oil for frying
To a kadai pour little oil.To it add red chillies, tomato,onion,garlic and coriander and curry leaves.If adding mint leaves add it also.
When cool put in a jar and grind it.
Can be kept in fridge ad can use for 2 to 3 days.to
chilli powder as desired
a few salt as needed
1.Wash and cut the snake gourd length wise .Remove seeds also soft white portion.cut into thin slices.
2. Take pudalanga in a colander add little chilly powder and salt to it.water will come out.
3.In a kadai add oil add mustard seeds and urad dhal when it fries add curry leaves then add the vegetable to it.
4.According to your taste add more chilly powder and salt.
keep on frying.When done remove from fire.
Best side dish for sambar rice and curd rice.