- While preparing dough for poori mix 1tsp gram flour with it. The color of poori will be good
- While preparing kesari add milk.
- To de skin garlic put in hot water then in cold water.Drain the water. Easy to remove the skin
- While breaking coconut wet it before.
- If dosa dough is watery add rawa also grind coconut and add to it.
- To check whether we have added salt to curry, check the bubbles if it is added it will boil in the centre,if not it will have bubbles in the corner.
- Can add little oil to the idli batter it will be soft for longer period
This Sunday recipe is prepared with white peas,mango, coconut as the name suggests.This is very famous in beach especially Marina beach. Invariably those who visit beach never miss to taste this. As this is mango season thought of trying this recipe.The crunchiness of onion,tanginess of mango and the taste of green chilies everything adds to the flavour.
Soak white peas for 8 hrs or overnight
White peas…….1 cup
Raw Mango..5 TBS
Green chillies….1 to 2
Ginger…..1/2 inch piece
Red chilli powder..1 TSP
Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
Carrot grated…..2 TBS
Coriander leaves chopped….2 tbs
Curry leaves few.
White peas should be cooked but not mushy.
Grind coconut,green chilies and ginger.Just pulse it not a fine paste.
In a kadai put oil.
Add oil to it.
Now add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves then half of the onions.onion s
Onion should not be soft.It should have crunchiness.
Add cooked peas to it.
Then add grinded mixture to it
Fry well till everything gets mixed .Add lemon juice of 1/2 a lime switch of the stove.
It’s time to add grated mango, carrot and mix well.
While serving serve with mango and chopped coriander leaves.
Very healthy evening snack
Lemon rice is an easy recipe.They call it as chitrana which is rice based dish prepared in South India.Lemon rice is one among them. It just take few minutes to prepare if we have precooked rice. We can take this for travel too.It is s citrousy flavour.
Cooked rice…..1 cup
Urad dhal….1/2 tsp
Peanuts….12 to 14 nos
Red chillies…..2 Nos
Green chillies…4 nos
Bengal gram…2 tbs
Ginger grated…..1 tbs
Turmeric powder…1/2 tsp
Lemon juice….juice of 1 to 2 limes
Cooked rice should not be sticky.
1.In a kadai put oil.
2.Add mustard seeds when it splutters addurad dhal when it turns brown add Bengal gram then add red chillies.
Now add curry leaves and chopped green chillies and cashews.
Fry till it gets toasted.
Add cooked rice with salt to it
Finally add lemon juice to it.
Serve with papads or any vegetable fry.
Another method is to add lime juice to the ingredients after frying and finally add cooked rice to it.
Ghee is a clarified butter made from the milk of cow or buffalo.It is most commonly found in South Asian dishes.It has many health benefits and healing powers.It promotes flexibility.It is casein free. Vit. A,D,E and K2 arefound in it.Heals and repairs digestion and digestion tract.
Clarified butter or ghee is milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butter fat. It is produced by melting butter. Un salted butter is slowly melted allowing the milk solids to separate from the transparent golden liquid and for any water to evaporate.
Butter is an emulsion of fat,water and milk solids.The clarifying process splits up the trio.And get the fat.The goal is remove the water.The milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan. This gives ghee.
- Keep butter in room temperature
- Place it in a sauce pan.
- Heat the butter over medium heat until completely melted and reduce to dinner.
- Cook the melted butter for approximately 10 to 15 mts. Butter will begin to foam and bubble.
- After few more minutes the melted butter will turn to golden color and you will see curd s of the milk solids forming toward the bottom if the saucepan.
- Finally add morning leave or curry leaves.
- You can strain and store it.
- After few hours it will set.
- Can store in refrigerator.
- Butter will solidify at cooler temperature but can easilybe returned to liquid by warming.
How to use ghee.
Ghee can be used in place of most cooking oils and is great for sauteeing.
It is used for toasting a bread.
It is given for kids by mixing with dhal,ifli or dosa.It has a high smoke point.
Bell pepper s green are low in calories and rich in Vit.C and other antioxidants making them an excellent addition to a healthy diet.
Capsicum comes in various colors such as red, yellow ,orange and green.
Greens are the unripe ones.It is a decent source of fiber. It is loaded with Vitamins and minerals.
It is high in Vit. C and minerals which include Vit.K, Vit E Vit A,folate and potassium. Rich in carotenoid s.
Bell peppers have many health benefits including improved eye health and reducing the risk of anemia.
- Capsicum chopped…3 cups
- Tomato…………….2 cups
- Onion ………1 cup.
- Coriander powder…1tsp
- Chilli powder….1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut……1/3rd cup
- Ginger… A Small piece
- Green chillies……2
- For frying
- Cumin seeds…1 tsp
- Corianderleaves chopped ….1 Tbs
- Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds add onions with little salt and fry.
- When it is translucent add tomatoes when it be ones mushy add coconut paste and add all spice powders and cook till the raw smell goes .
- Now add capsicum and cook for few minutes.
- If needed add little water.
- When done add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti, poori, jeerrice or ghee rice.
There are different types of rasam.Today going to share pineapple recipe.
- Pineapple slices……2 slices
- Tomato pieces………2
- Toor dhal cooked water
- Rasam powder…1 tsp
- Peppercorns….1 tsp
- Cumin seeds….1 tsp
- Garlic pods…..few pods
- Oil…2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal…..1/2 TSP
- Red chillies..2
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves
- Pineapple Slice 1 cut into pieces
- Pineapple slice to be mashed
- Tomato 1 to be chopped into pieces
- Tomato 1 to made into puree
- Powder peppercorns,cumin seeds and garlic pods
- In a kadai add 1 Tbs oil.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add redchillies,curry leaves and 1/4 of the powder.
- Add tomato pieces and pineapple pieced and fry a little.
- Meanwhile in a bowl add dhal water,tomato puree, pineapple paste and balance powder,salt and mix well.
- Add the mix to the kadai and allow it to boil.
- When raw smell goes switch off the stove.
- Add coriander leaves.
Another drink for this summer.This is a very healthy payasam. Carrot payasam is served on special occasions.INGREDIENTS:
- Carrot….450 gms
- Milk…….1 lit
- Sugar…..2 cups
- Cardomom powder,..5 gms
- Cashews.. 50 to 100 gms
- Ghee…..4 tbs
- Grate carrot keep aside.
- In a pan add 3 tbs of ghee add grated carrot to it and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add half of the milk and cookies the carrots in it.
- When cool put in a mixer and blend well.
- If you want to serve as a PAYASAM add sugar and cardomom toit.
If you want to serve as a KHEER add little more of milk and allow it to boil for few minutes. Serve it chill.
Bored with regular sambar, rasam pulikulambu wanted to try a different one.As a result tried this receipe with tomatoes.
- Tomatoes…….1/2 kg
- Onion ………..6
- Green chillies….2
- Curry leaves a few
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp
- Ginger small piece grated
- Garlic….few pods
- Coconut scrapings… 1/2 cup
- Oil…..2 tbs
For grinding masala:
- Red chillies…….6
- Jeeragam……..1 tsp
- Coconut scrapings…..2 tbs
Extract milk from Coconut scrapings .
Make tomato puree.
- Put oil in a kadai.when heated add seasonings.
- Add chopped green chillies,curry leaves ,grated ginger,onion and fry a little.
- Then add tomato puree.
- To it add turmeric powder,masala salt and fry a little.Allow it cook or add very little water to cook.
- Finally add coconut milk.
- When it gets cooked remove from fire.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
If you like masala taste can add 1 piece cinnamon,4 cloves,2 staranise to the seasonings.
Also if you want more gravy can add poppyseed while grinding masala.
For this coconut rice using brown rice. Brown riceis a whole grain rice with the inedible outer_hull removed.This has lower carbohydrates and helps in overall digestion. Has zero cholesterol. It is considered much healthier than white. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories,high in fiber in fiber,gluten free. This is low glycemic index food.
It is rich B.Vit.,folate,iron, magnesium,selenium and calcium.
Method of cooking:
- Wash the rice thoroughly
- Cook with 2 parts of water.
- Cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Keep the rice aside when pressure releases.
Now making of coconut rice:
- Brown rice cooked……1 cup
- Coconut scrapings…1/2 cup
- Coconut oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds….1/4TSP
- Urad dhal….. 1/2 TSP
- Onion chopped or cut length wise….2 TBS
- Green chillies..2 nos.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed
- Keep a kadai and put oil
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add onions and green chillies and fry a little add curry leaves.
- Now add coconut scrapings just fry a little.
- Add salt.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.
Earlier I had posted Rawa Kesari I had few pieces of pineapple so thought of trying Pineapple Kesari.This is an easy preparation only.
- Rawa…..1 cup
- Sugar…..1/2 to 1 cup
- Pineapple…. 1cup cut into small pieces.
- Cardomom….3 to 4 nos
- Ghee……..2 to 3 Tbs
- Color few drops
- Pineapple essence 1/2 tsp it is optional.
- In a kadai add ghee. Fry cashews and kismis keep aside.
- Now add Rawa and fry till aroma comes.
- In the mean time boil 21/2 cups of water.
- Add water to the Rawa.
- Add pineapple pieces.
- Mix well till it cooks.
- Now add Color,elaichi powder and if u need add pineapple essence.
- Add sugar and cook till it is cooked.
- Finally add fried cashews and kismis.
1. Frying rawa in ghee2.Add boiling waterAdd pineapple pieces and then finally sugar..