India is one the largest producers of drumsticks. It is used widely in cooking. The leaves,the drumsticks even the flowers can be used for cooking. It can be added in curry or can be or can be prepared as stir fry.
Cultivated in many parts across India drumstick is widely known to be therapeutic with a very high nutrition content.
Fresh pods and seeds are an excellent sources of oleic acid a health benefiting mono unsaturated fat. Rich in Vit.C., Vit.B6 and Vit.A. They are packed with valuable minerals and protein.i.e. rich in calcium, iron and others.
It also helps in digestion,protects against infections.
- Murungakkai……2 nos. Cut into 2″
- Turmeric powder….1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Shallots..4 or 5
- Garlic…2 or 3 cloves
- Red chillies…..2 to 3
- Cumin seeds..1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…….1/2 tsp
- Cook the drumsticks pieces with little salt and turmeric with 1 cup water and cook till it is half done.
- Coarse grind the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- Add drumsticks and grinded paste to it. Check for salt add if needed and when tender and dry remove from fire.
- Serve as side dish for rice.
Easy preparation.Favourite for kids too.Ladies finger are rich in Vitamin.A, Vitamin C. Rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals. It has high level of antioxidants.Fresh pods are good sources of folates.
They are also wthB complex vitamins,niacin,vit K.It also has iron, calcium,manganese and magnesium.
There are lot of health benefits when we eat this.
- Ladies finger….250gms.
- Onion ……1(optional)
- Red chillies……2 or 3
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder…….1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds…1/4tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Red gram dhal……2 tbs
- Coriander seeds…2 tbs
- Red chillies……….3 or 4
Dry roast these ingredients and powder it.
- First wash and wipe ladies fingers.
- Chop into 11/2 to 2 inches length.
- Keep kadai and put oil in it.
- Now after seasoning add red chillies.If you are adding onions now you add fry a little.
- Now add okra to it.
- To ladies finger add turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt and fry.
- When it is 3/4 done add 1 to 2 tbs of the powder to it.
- When it blends well remove from fire.
It goes well with phulka,dal rice, sambar or even with curd rice.
When for kids need not add red chillies.
If you are adding the powder can decrease the number of red chillies.
Raw mango is rich in Vitamin.A,VitC,Vit.B6. It also contains folate,potasssium and magnesium. Add fiber to your diet. Vitamin.A,Vit.C,Vit.B,
Rasam is a South Indian dish. It is traditionally prepared using tamarind juice with the addition of tomato,chilli, pepper and cumin. Now ready-made rasam powder is available.
It is eaten with rice or separately as a spicy soup. Different types of rasam can be prepared and since this is mango season I thought of sharing mango rasam recipe.It is a balance between sweet sour and spicy flavour It can be served with rice and porial.
- Raw mango…….1
- Ghee for seasoning
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal………….1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves…a few
- Coriander leaves chopped.1 tsp
- Rasam powder….1 to 2 tbs
- Cook mango either whole in cooker or cut it into pieces and cook
- When mango is cooled put in a mixi blender and blend into smooth puree.
- In a kadai put ghee then mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add mango pulp and rasam powder add little water.
- Add rasam powder and salt.Allow it to boil.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
A very protein rich diet recipe .Lobia ranks much higher on nutrition making it a hidden healthy gem. They are brimming with the goodness of B complex vitamins,proteins,zinc,calcium and iron.
It contains almost essential vitamins and minerals.Vit.A,B,B1,B2,B5,B6,C,folic acid, potassium, magnesium,selinium,sodium etc.
It is beneficial for our health .It maintains standard cholesterol level. It also removes free radicals.
Lignin is a good component is present is good for weight loss.
- Karamani……..1 cup
- Mustard seeds…1/2tsp
- Urad dhal…….1 tsp
- Asafoetida…..1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves…few
- Salt as needed
- Red chillies or green chillies…..2
- Coconut optional…..4 or 5 tbs
- Coriander leaves optional finely chopped…1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the beans for few minutes and soak it for few hours.
- Pressure cook it till it gets cooked.
- In a kadai put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal now add green or red chillies.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add cooked beans and salt mix well.
- If going to add coconut you can add now .
- Same with coriander leaves too
If for neivedyam add coconut scrapings if taking for weight loss diet can skip that.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
I have given a number of single rice recipes. This post is a single rice preparation which is very easy to prepare. Almost all kids favourite is 🥔. It is also a lunch box recipe. I cooked rice seperately and prepared potato separately.
- Cooked rice……1 cup
- Potatoes…………2 cut into small cubes
- Ginger garlic paste…..1 tsp
- Chilly powder………….1 tsp
- Turmeric powder…….1tsp
- Onion…………..1 or 2finely chopped
- Vegetable masala powder…1 tsp
- Oil……….as required
- Salt …….as required
- Coriander leaves……finely chopped.
- Cinnamon…1 piece
- Star anise….1
- Cook rice separately remember it should not be mushy.
- Boil potatoes and cut it into cubes.
- Pour oil in the pan. If it is for kids can use ghee instead of oil.
- Now put fry masala ingredients cinnamon,star anise, cloves and cardomom.
- After sauting add chopped onions fry a little add cubed potatoes now add turmeric powder, chilly powder, vegetable masala powder and salt.Fry till it is crispy.
- Now add the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can serve with raita and papad.
When giving for kids remove the whole spices after cooking and before serving for kids .
Raw banana is a good source of protein and vitamins. It is. Low in sodium and calories.
- 2tbs——-coriander seeds
- 2tbs——–channa dhal
- 2 or3——-red chillies
- Raw banana—–250gms or 3 o 4
- 1/2 tsp———–turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbs——-oil
- 1 pinch——–asafoetida
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp——-mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp——urad dhal
- Peel and slice the raw banana after washing it.
- Slice them in thin rounds and put it in water so that it doesn’t turn dark.
- In a frying pan put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add sliced raw banana to it.
- Now add turmeric powder,add powder and salt to it.
Fry till it becomes crispy.
Optional:If u want a simplified instead of preparing powder can use red chilly powder.
Pumpkin is a vegetable which is highly nutrient dense food.Pumpkin color may be from deep yellow to orange coloration.It is a traditional part of thanksgiving meals inCanada and U.S.and they carve Jack _O_Lantern for decoration around 🎃 Halloween.
Pumpkin is suitable for all ages.It is rich in Vitamins and minerals low in calories.The fiber,potassium and vit. C supports it.Some say that the potassium obtIned in pumpkin has a positive effect in blood pressure.There are lot of antioxidants in it.It is a good source of beta carotene and rich in fibre too.
- Pumpkin_1to2 cups peeled,predetermined and cubed.
- Coconut scrapings -4 tbs
- Cumin seeds_1/2 tsp
- Garlic_2 pods
- Oil_1 tbs
- Mustard seeds_1/4tsp
- Urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Red chillies/Green chillies_2 or accept. to taste.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed.
1.Grind coconut scraping,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic pods coarsely and keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds to it aftet it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves
3.Fry curry leaves a little and Then add pumpkin pieces to it.Fry a little and then add water to cook it.
4.When half done add salt to it.
5.when almost done add the coconut paste to it.
6. Mix well and cook till everything gets binded.
Can add 1 to 2 tbs.jaggery and instead of grinding chillies can powder pepper coarsely and add to it.
This will be slightly sweeter version of curry.
Serve with rice
Potato fry is an all time favourite for many.This is an easy method and is prepared without boiling the potatoes. When it is crispy it tastes good.
- Potatoes -1 Cup
- Chilly powder_1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil as needed
- Mustard seeds_1/4 tsp
- urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder_1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder_1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves chopped
Peel potatoes and keep in water for at least 15 Mts so that starch can be removed.And the fry will be crispy.
1.Cut potatoes into cubes and keep it in water.
2.Keep kadai and after heating add oil to it.
3.Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add curry leaves.
4.Now add potatoes and turmeric powder fry for sometime.
5.After sometime add chilly powder and salt and fry.
6.Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Can serve with rice.Goes best for rasam,damage and curd rice.
I thought of posting a sweet recipe for two reasons.One this is my 100 th post and then for my second anniversary with WordPress. Very happy that two years have passed since I started blogging in this plat form.First and foremost I thank WordPress for its support .Next my family ,my friends and my relatives for their encouragement.And above all my followers who have given their support .
Payasam is a common South Indian desert.we prepare even for simple occasions like birthdays too.Among all varieties semiya payasam is the easiest one to prepare.
- Milkmaid__1/2 tin
- Ghee_1 to 2 tbs
- Cardomom3 pods
1. Heat ghee in a pan.Fry raisins and cashews and keep aside.
2In the remaining ghee fry vermicelli if the semiya is not fried.
3.After frying a little add boiled milk and allow it to cook.
4.When cooked add sugar if u are going to add sugar otherwise add milkmaid now
5.when it blends well and powdered cardamom and fried cashews and raisins to it.
It may get thickened after sometime so add milk before serving.
This can be served both hot or chill.