Kadala parupu sundal is a variety of sundal. This can be easily prepared even without soaking the Bengal gram.
- Bengal gram …..250 gms
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Salt as needed.
- Oil……2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal….1 TSP
- Curry leaves..a few
- Green chillies 1 to 2
- Wash and cook Bengal gram in a pressure cooker with enough water for two whistles. If there is excess water can use for other recipes like rasam.
- In a kadai pour 2 TBS oil then mustard seeds it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown and split chillies fry it.
- Now add cooked Bengal gram to it
- Finally add coconut scrapings.
You can decrease the amount of coconut scrapings.
Can add coriander leaves too.
Left over food can be converted into tasty food. Today I’m going to give you left over thengulal powder recipe. It’s very tasty and kids friendly recipe too. When we have lot of left over murku or thengulal we can try this recipe.
- Muruku or thengulal……4 to 5 nos
- Sugar……….2 to 3 TSP
- Coconut scrapings…2 or 3 Tsp
- Break thengulal into small pieces.
- In a dry jar grind it into fine powder.
- Finally add sugar and run a second or can add sugar seperately before serving.
- Can add coconut scrapings too.But it is optional.
I have used ordinary thengulal can also use muruku.It can be given both for kids and also for old people.Can powder muruku alone too and serve without adding sugar.
Carrot is a root vegetable usually orange in Color though purple,black,red,white and yellow is available.
It contains high quantities of alpha and beta carotene.It is also a good source of Vit.K and Vit.B2 and many minerals.
- Carrot chopped…..2or 3Nos.
- Onion…..1or 2
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Grated coconut…3 or 4 TBS
- Mustard seeds…..1/4tsp
- Urad dhal………..1/2tsp
- Oil…..1or 2tbs
- Curry leaves a few
- Chop carrot into small pieces.
- Boil it with little water.
- When half done add salt to it and when it is cooked keep aside.
- In a kadai pour oil and when mustard seeds splutter add urad dhal.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped onions , green chillies and fry it.
- Add cooked carrot and finally add scraped coconut.
Serve with rasam or sambar or curd rice.
Buttermilk kuzhambu or mor kuzhambu is commonly prepared dish in South India.This is served with rice or can be served with idiappam. Vegetables like okra ash guord and colacasia can be used.But here I have used dhal vada.
- Tuvar dhal…..1 TBS
- Rice……………..2 TBS
- Cumin seeds..1/2 TSP
- Green chillies..2 to 3
- Ginger……….a small piece
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Curd…..1 cup
- Urad dhal..1/2tsp
- Curry leaves…few
Coriander leaves few
- Soak tuvar dhal and rice for few minutes in hot water .
- Grind these two first a little then add coconut scrapings,green chillies,ginger,garlic and cumin seeds and then grind into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Take curd and beat it till smooth.
- Add ground paste to it.
- Now in a kadai mix both curd and ground paste and heat it when bubbles starts coming switch it off.
- Pour half the quantity into another vessel.keep aside.
- Now to the other half add dhal vada to it and boil for few minutes.It will soak after sometime.
- To the kulambu kept aside add seasoning to it and then add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with rice. Soaked vada will taste good.
If u are using colacasia or ash guord boil and add.If using okra fry it well and slightly cook and then add to the curd and paste mixture
Pasi parupu or moong dal is packed with protein.This dhal is the most recommended vegetarian super foods.It is extremely light and easy to digest.It has high nutrient content. It aids weight loss as it makes the body feel full after eating. It is rich in potassium,iron, magnesium and copper.It also contains folate,fiber and also rich inVit.B.some amount of vitE, C and vit. K.
Kerala style parupu is one variety where moong dal is cooked and coconut is added.This is served on special occasions for feast,onam sadya and it is the first curry served for marriages with rice,ghee and papadam.
- Moong dhal……..1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp
- Water…………3/4 to 1 cup
- Grated coconut…….. 4 tbs
- Green chilli…………….1
- Cumin seeds…………1/2 tsp
- Garlic………………….2 pods
Grind everything into a smooth paste.
- Oil ……………………2 tbs
- Mustard………….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal………..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves……few
After oil gets heated add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add curry leaves. Keep aside.
- Cook dal with turmeric powder a pinch of asafoetida in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles
- When it is ready mash it well.
- Now add salt and grinded paste and allow it to boil.
- Finally add seasoning.
Serve with rice,ghee,papad and vegetable curry or porial.
An easy breakfast or dinner recipe.Most common in Tamil nadu.Various seasonings and vegetables can be added according to one’s taste.This is a very healthy recipe.
- Broken wheat….1cup
- Mustard ……….. 1/2 tsp
- Urad……… 1 tsp
- Green chillies….2 or 3
- Ginger……….1 ” piece
- Curry leaves…1 sprig
- Oil…1 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Carrot,peas……chopped vegetables 1/2 cup
- Chop onion,green chillies and vegetables.
- Splutter mustard in hot oil and add urad dhal then add onion green chillies and curry leaves and saute till golden brown.Add grated ginger.
- Add the required amount of water and salt and allow it to boil.
- If the vegetables are not boiled now add it to boil.
- When the water begins to boil slowly put the rawa stirring continuously till it gets cooked.
- If you are going to add boiled vegetables add after adding rawa and mix well.
Serve with chutney or sugar.
Water double the quantity of rawa.If you have to cook vegetables add 1/2 cup water more.
Ivy guord is rich in Iron,Vit.C and calcium.It helps in regulating blood sugar.It is rich inVit.B1,VitB2 and dietary fibre.
Baby corn is good source of different nutrients.It also contains fibres protein as well as vital anti oxidants too.It is said just half cup of serving meet 4%of daily body requirements of VitA and iron,2% of daily requirements of VitA. C.
- Ivy guord….1cup
- Baby corn…1/2 or 1 cup
- Onion……2 or 3
- Oil………2 to 3 tbs
- Chilli powder…..2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder…1/4 tsp
- Salt…as required.
- Ginger garlic paste…1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/3 tsp
- Heat a pan with oil.Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When it turns brown add ginger garlic paste fry a little
- Now add onions when it is half done add tomatos add turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- Mix well .Then add ivy guord and baby corn and required salt.
- Cover and cook.
- If needed sprinkle water inbetween.
- Fry till done
- Serve with rice as side dish.
I have already posted vegetable biriyani cooker method this is microwave method
- Soaked Basmati Rice….200gms
- Black pepper…3
- Salt and Sugar as per your taste.
- Mixed vegetables cauliflower,peas,french beans and carrot chopped…….1cup
- Soya sauce…..2tbs
- Chilli sauce…2tbs
- In microwave safe glass bowl add ghee, vegetables,all masalas and soaked basmati rice,mix it well and cook.
- When beep add water,salt and sugar.
- Cover it start cooking.
Mine is Samsung Oven and it has code which is preset.so I am cooking in that way.You can cook according to your oven.Serve hot with raita and papad.
India is one the largest producers of drumsticks. It is used widely in cooking. The leaves,the drumsticks even the flowers can be used for cooking. It can be added in curry or can be or can be prepared as stir fry.
Cultivated in many parts across India drumstick is widely known to be therapeutic with a very high nutrition content.
Fresh pods and seeds are an excellent sources of oleic acid a health benefiting mono unsaturated fat. Rich in Vit.C., Vit.B6 and Vit.A. They are packed with valuable minerals and protein.i.e. rich in calcium, iron and others.
It also helps in digestion,protects against infections.
- Murungakkai……2 nos. Cut into 2″
- Turmeric powder….1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Shallots..4 or 5
- Garlic…2 or 3 cloves
- Red chillies…..2 to 3
- Cumin seeds..1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…….1/2 tsp
- Cook the drumsticks pieces with little salt and turmeric with 1 cup water and cook till it is half done.
- Coarse grind the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- Add drumsticks and grinded paste to it. Check for salt add if needed and when tender and dry remove from fire.
- Serve as side dish for rice.
Easy preparation.Favourite for kids too.Ladies finger are rich in Vitamin.A, Vitamin C. Rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals. It has high level of antioxidants.Fresh pods are good sources of folates.
They are also wthB complex vitamins,niacin,vit K.It also has iron, calcium,manganese and magnesium.
There are lot of health benefits when we eat this.
- Ladies finger….250gms.
- Onion ……1(optional)
- Red chillies……2 or 3
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder…….1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds…1/4tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Red gram dhal……2 tbs
- Coriander seeds…2 tbs
- Red chillies……….3 or 4
Dry roast these ingredients and powder it.
- First wash and wipe ladies fingers.
- Chop into 11/2 to 2 inches length.
- Keep kadai and put oil in it.
- Now after seasoning add red chillies.If you are adding onions now you add fry a little.
- Now add okra to it.
- To ladies finger add turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt and fry.
- When it is 3/4 done add 1 to 2 tbs of the powder to it.
- When it blends well remove from fire.
It goes well with phulka,dal rice, sambar or even with curd rice.
When for kids need not add red chillies.
If you are adding the powder can decrease the number of red chillies.