Black gram dhal rice is famous in Tirunelveli District.It is rich in protein.As this dhal is rich in iron this is given to girls when they strain puberty also this strengthens the uterus and bones. This is especially good for teenaged girls.
Split urad dhal_____1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds_____1/4 TSP
1.Dry roast black gram dhal.
2.Wash rice and dhal together.Keep it either directly or in a vessel.
3.water should be three and half times..
4.To it add garlic pods coconut scrapings and required amount of salt.
Keep it for 3 whistles.
Black sesame seeds 4 tbs
Red chillies 3 or 4
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarind a small piece
Oil 1 tbs
1.Pour oil in a kadai .Add sesma seeds and red chillies.
2.Then add coconut scrapings fry a little.
3.When cool grind it with tamarind and salt.
RED CHILLIES CHUTNEY
Red chillies 2 or 3
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarin a piece
Oil 2 tbs.
1.Pour oil in a kadai.
2.Add red chillies fry a little then add coconut scrapings.
3. When cool add tamarind and salt and grind it.
Serve with Avial or Okra Pachadi and Papadam.
While mixing rice and thovaial add a dash of sesame oil.
I have used split black gram with skin but can use dhal without skin .
Another South Indian style kootu to share with you all.This is a best side dish for rice and it goes well with chappathi too.
chow chow:2 cups chopped
Moong dhal: 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder:1/4 tsp
curry leaves: a few
Milk: 3 tbs.
Mustard seeds and urad dhal
Coconut grated 3 to 4 tbs
garlic pods:3t0 4 pods
Redchillies:1 to 2.as desired
1.Peel the skin of chow chow and cut into small cubes.Keep aside
2.Grind all the ingredients
3.Cook dhal seperately and mash it well
4.Cook chow chow with turmeric powder when done add required salt add the cooked dhal also to it
5.add the grinded mixture to it and blend well.
6.heat oil add mustard seeds,urad and curry leaves fry and add to it.
7.Lastly add milk to it. Its ready for serving with rice or chappathi
This is a very traditional syle of kootu.Goes well with vathal kuzhambu/puli kulambu also for sambar rice.
chilli powder as desired
a few salt as needed
1.Wash and cut the snake gourd length wise .Remove seeds also soft white portion.cut into thin slices.
2. Take pudalanga in a colander add little chilly powder and salt to it.water will come out.
3.In a kadai add oil add mustard seeds and urad dhal when it fries add curry leaves then add the vegetable to it.
4.According to your taste add more chilly powder and salt.
keep on frying.When done remove from fire.
Best side dish for sambar rice and curd rice.
My native place is in Tamilnadu after marriage only came to Kerala and now settled here.Initially when I see cucumber( not which is used for salads) I used to wonder how people use this in their cooking.In due course I learnt this from my friend.Keralites use this cucumber in sambar and in few other recipies also.
Today when I was talking with my cousin Latu about our lunch I mentioned that I had prepared cucumber kootu. Immediately she told that I should post this recipie in my blog.So I decided to post this recipie this week as per her request.Simple and easy recipie.
- Cucumber :1cup or 250 gms.
- Moong dhal:1/3rd
- Turmeric powder1/2 tsp
- Coconut scrapings 1/3rd cup
- small onion:3
- Jeera:1/4 tsp
- Grind all these ingredients into a paste
- green chillies or red chillies as desired (2or3)
- Mustard seeds:1/2 tsp
- urad dhal :1/4tst
- curry leaves:a few
- Oil for frying
- Cook dhal with turmeric powder in pressure cooker and keep aside
- Cucumber should be peeled deseed and cut into cubes
- In a thick bottomed vessel put cucumber pieces add water and cook till it becomes transparent with little salt.
- When done add cooked dhal to it then grinded paste should also be added.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal then curry leaves after frying add thi to the gravy.
Cucumber kootu is ready.Serve with rice.This can be prepared without adding dhal too.Rest of the preparation the same.
We have many fried snacks.And all time favourite is Potato bonda.One can use only potato and onion for stuffing or can add carrot or peas according to ones taste.
- Potato :11/2 kg
- Onion: 2or 3
- Curry leaves: few
- Carrot: 1or 2.
- Green chillies:2or 3/Or red chilly powder accdg. to taste
- Ginger grated:1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Boil or pressure cook the potatoes and peel them
- Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal
- Add finely chopped onions,curry leaves,and saute a little then add grated carrot and ginger if you are adding boiled one then can add with potato.
- when done add mashed potato to the mixture add salt and mix well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves
- Remove from fire and make it into small balls. keep aside.
- Gram flour:1 cup
- Rice flour 1/4 cup
- chilli powder 1/2 tsp to 1tsp( accdg to taste)
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda a pinch
- Water 1/2 to 1/3 rd cup
Mix all the ingredients and make it as a batter.It must be flowing .
- Heat oil in a kadai for frying.To check if the oil is hot enough to fry bondas,put a drop of batter it will raise to the surface immediately then it is ready.Now reduce the flame to medium.
- Take the potato ball dip in batter it should be coated well and then fry in oil till golden brown.Put in tissue paper for it to absorb oil.
- Serve hot with chutney or sauce
If u r ginger can less the no. of chillies, can add accdg to ones taste.If for kids can use chiili powder itself.
A very nice snack to have with tea or coffee.
Ven Pongal is a common and healthy breakfast food item. But some will have it for dinner too.It is a common neivedyam in some temples.Famous at Tirupathi Venketeswara Temple,also common in Perumal temples too.It is easy to prepare also light one for the stomach.Some like to prepare with raw rice too.
- Rice :1 cup(Par boiled or raw accdg. to ones wish)
- Moong dhal:1/2 cup
- Ginger:1inch piece grated or finely chopped
- Curry leaves
- cumin:1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder:1/2 to 3/4 tsp(some use pepper corns)
- Ghee:2 to 3 tablespoon
- Dry roast dhal till we get the aroma.
- Wash and cook rice and dhal with 31/2 cup of water( water accdg to the rice you use) with salt and 1/2 tbs. ghee.
- When cook ed keep aside.If it is like puloa then can add 1/2 cup water and cook for some more time.It must be soft in texture.
- Heat a pan add ghee add chopped ginger, cumin seeds,curry leaves and pepper powder to it and fry. If one is using cashews add that too.Add the fried items to the ven Pongal.
- Serve hot with sambar and chutney or brinjal gosthu.
Some add a pinch of turmeric powder to have a yellow pongal.
Avial is a side dish for rice.Some also eat it with adai.This is a delicious dish famous mostly in Kerala and TamilNadu.It is an essential ingredient in a sadya that is an elaborate meal is served during onam and weddings.For preparing this different vegetables can be used.The following are the vegetables that can be used.Carrot, drumstick,raw plaintain,potato,brinjal,snake guord,elephant yam,colacasia, ash guord and raw mangoes.One can choose the vegetables of their choice
Masala to grind.
- Grated coconut :1/2 cup
- Cumin /Jeera:1/2 tsp
- Shallots:3 to 4
- Garlic:3to 4 pods
First grind the coconut,greenchillies,cuminthen after few sec.add garlic coriander leaves few.Run for few sec. it should be coarsely grinded.Keep aside.
- Cut vegetables:2 cups
- Curry leaves
- mustard seeds
- Curd:3 tbs
- Cut all the veggies of your choice into 2 ” in length..Cook it with little water and a pinch of turmeric.It should not be mushy must be soft.cook it in a thick bottom pan or kadai.Do not cook in pressure cooker.Check the amount of water in between otherwise the veggies would be burnt. Cover and cook in a lowflame. The veggies should be seperate.
- Add the required amount of salt.
- Now add curd to it.
- After few seconds add the ground masala.Mix with a ladle dont mash the vegetables.
- Now drizzle coconut oil to it leave for few seconds to blend it.Fresh coconut oil aroma fills the air.Mix it.
- Lastly add the tempered items
If you use raw mangoes add it lastly as it cooks quickly.Also can reduce the amount of curd.
Best combination for sambar rice.
We have a number of variety rice carrot rice is an easy one.We can say that it is lunch box special.It is kids special.
We can prepare in two ways.One is the pressure cooker method thepther one with the left over rice.
- Rice: 1 cup
- Onion-1 or 2 sliced
- carrot:3/4 cup cut in small pieces
- Coriander leaves 1tbs
- Bay leaf:1
- cardomom a few
- Vegetable masala powder:1 or 2 tsp
- salt to taste
- mint leaves few
- Oil or ghee
- Coconut:1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves:1 tbs
- Ginger: a small piece
- Garlic 3 or 4 pods
- Green chilly:1
Wash and keep rice aside
- Keep cooker in stove.Add oil or ghee.
- put bay leaf when it gets heated.
- add cardomom to it.
- Add coriander and mint leaves to it
- Add sliced onions and saute it.
- Now add cut carrot pieces to it
- Then add the ground paste to it and mix well.
- Add vegetable masala powder to it.
- Now add the washed rice to it and fry for few seconds.
- Now add water to it after adding salt to it.
- Close the lid and keep for 2 whistles
Serve with papad and raitha.
1.I have used Sonam masoori rice steam which I use daily for cooking.I used 2 cups of water and kept till 2 whistles.
2.Can use basmati rice but use water accordingly
3.If it is prepared with left over rice same steps from 1 to 8 steps have to be followedcan use grated carrot or if cut pieces boil and add before adding cooked rice.
4.For a variation can add sambar powder instead of vegetable masala.
5.If for kids can fry nuts and add to it.
In South India we have poriyal or kootu as a side dish for rice.We make kootu with different vegetables.This one is a different one.I have made this kootu with drumstick pulp.We can also use pieces too.
- Drumstick :3 or 4
- coconut scrapings :1/4 cup
- Green chillies: 2 or as desired
- Mustard and urad dhal :1/4 tsp
- Garlic:2 pods
- curry leaves: afew
- Cumin seeds :1/4 tsp
1.Clean drumstick and then chop it into long pieces.May be 4 or 6 inches length.
2.In a kadai put the cleaned drumstick add water,turmeric powder and cook.
3. If there is excess water after cooking keep it aside.
4.When it is cool take a single piece and by using a spoon or knife remove pulp.
5.Mash it slightly.
6.Grind coconut,green chillies,jeera and garlic pods.
7.In a kadai put 2 tablespoon oil, then add mustard seeds and urad dhal after splutterring add curry leaves.
8.Put the drumstick pulp add salt and boil for few minutes.
9.Now add coconut paste to it and boil for few minutes.
Now tasty stew or kootu is ready.This is a very healthy dish.
This goes well with puli kulazhambu.Removing pulp while cooking lessens time while eating.My entire family likes this very much.
How about you.?
Adai Dosai is a common dosai variety found in south Indian homes.It is either prepared for breakfast or for dinner.The ingredients is a combination of both rice and lentils.This dish is rich in iron an protein also very filling.Morever suitable for all in the family,especially for growing children.Different combinations with different measurements are used for preparing adai batter but the below combination is the one which my family likes.
- Boiled rice: 1 cup
- Toor dhal: 1 cup
- Channa dhal:1cup
- Urad dhal:3tbs
- Soya bean:2tbs
- Moong dhal:2tbs
- Red chillies 3 to 5
- Ginger :A small piece
Soak all the above ingredients together for 3 to 4 hours.Grind it coarsely. to the batter add 2 tablespoon oil to the batter this will help to lessen the quantity of oil while preparing dosai.Keep aside.
- 2 Onions chopped finely. (if we use shallots it will be more tastier)
- curry leaves
- mustard and urad dhal
To a tawa add oil and then add mustard seeds and after spluttering add urad dhal.Now add chopped onions and curry leaves.Fry till it is transparent.Add to the batter.
Now add finely chopped coriander leaves coconut cut into bits 2 tbsp to the batter.Now add required salt too.Now add 1/4 tsp asafoetida. Mix well.
Heat dosa tawa pour a laddle of batter and spread it in a circular motion.Pour oilin the sides.If we pour it thin then it will be crispier.Let it get cooked then flip it over and that side too to get it cooked. when done remove it.
Serve hot with chutney.Some like to have it with avial.some with jaggery.But I prefer to have it with sugar and coconut scrapings.
Apiece of butter will enhance the taste.
GREEN CHILLY CHUTNEY
different varieties of chutney can be done.Today I’m going to give you agreen chilly chutney recipie.This goes well with dosai, pongal also for vadai and baji too.
- Cocnut scrapings:1 Cup
- Green chillies 2 or 3 accdg to taste.
- Tamarind a piece
- salt as required.
- Coriander leaves a little.
Grind together all ingredients in a blender.
Fresh coconut tastes better.
Adai batter can be used immediately after grinding.It will be in refrigerator for 2 or 3 days.If going to use for the next day too then keep aside some batter before adding salt and onion mixture.This will taste good.
Some prefer to add drumstick leaves too to the batter.
While eating the crispness of dosai with fried onions,crunchiness of coconut bits,the taste of cooked coriander leaves with the the taste of either sugar or chutney is very different.Please do try and let me know about it.