Pasi parupu or moong dal is packed with protein.This dhal is the most recommended vegetarian super foods.It is extremely light and easy to digest.It has high nutrient content. It aids weight loss as it makes the body feel full after eating. It is rich in potassium,iron, magnesium and copper.It also contains folate,fiber and also rich inVit.B.some amount of vitE, C and vit. K.
Kerala style parupu is one variety where moong dal is cooked and coconut is added.This is served on special occasions for feast,onam sadya and it is the first curry served for marriages with rice,ghee and papadam.
- Moong dhal……..1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp
- Water…………3/4 to 1 cup
- Grated coconut…….. 4 tbs
- Green chilli…………….1
- Cumin seeds…………1/2 tsp
- Garlic………………….2 pods
Grind everything into a smooth paste.
- Oil ……………………2 tbs
- Mustard………….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal………..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves……few
After oil gets heated add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add curry leaves. Keep aside.
- Cook dal with turmeric powder a pinch of asafoetida in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles
- When it is ready mash it well.
- Now add salt and grinded paste and allow it to boil.
- Finally add seasoning.
Serve with rice,ghee,papad and vegetable curry or porial.
An easy breakfast or dinner recipe.Most common in Tamil nadu.Various seasonings and vegetables can be added according to one’s taste.This is a very healthy recipe.
- Broken wheat….1cup
- Mustard ……….. 1/2 tsp
- Urad……… 1 tsp
- Green chillies….2 or 3
- Ginger……….1 ” piece
- Curry leaves…1 sprig
- Oil…1 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Carrot,peas……chopped vegetables 1/2 cup
- Chop onion,green chillies and vegetables.
- Splutter mustard in hot oil and add urad dhal then add onion green chillies and curry leaves and saute till golden brown.Add grated ginger.
- Add the required amount of water and salt and allow it to boil.
- If the vegetables are not boiled now add it to boil.
- When the water begins to boil slowly put the rawa stirring continuously till it gets cooked.
- If you are going to add boiled vegetables add after adding rawa and mix well.
Serve with chutney or sugar.
Water double the quantity of rawa.If you have to cook vegetables add 1/2 cup water more.
Easy preparation.Favourite for kids too.Ladies finger are rich in Vitamin.A, Vitamin C. Rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals. It has high level of antioxidants.Fresh pods are good sources of folates.
They are also wthB complex vitamins,niacin,vit K.It also has iron, calcium,manganese and magnesium.
There are lot of health benefits when we eat this.
- Ladies finger….250gms.
- Onion ……1(optional)
- Red chillies……2 or 3
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder…….1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds…1/4tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Red gram dhal……2 tbs
- Coriander seeds…2 tbs
- Red chillies……….3 or 4
Dry roast these ingredients and powder it.
- First wash and wipe ladies fingers.
- Chop into 11/2 to 2 inches length.
- Keep kadai and put oil in it.
- Now after seasoning add red chillies.If you are adding onions now you add fry a little.
- Now add okra to it.
- To ladies finger add turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt and fry.
- When it is 3/4 done add 1 to 2 tbs of the powder to it.
- When it blends well remove from fire.
It goes well with phulka,dal rice, sambar or even with curd rice.
When for kids need not add red chillies.
If you are adding the powder can decrease the number of red chillies.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
I have given a number of single rice recipes. This post is a single rice preparation which is very easy to prepare. Almost all kids favourite is 🥔. It is also a lunch box recipe. I cooked rice seperately and prepared potato separately.
- Cooked rice……1 cup
- Potatoes…………2 cut into small cubes
- Ginger garlic paste…..1 tsp
- Chilly powder………….1 tsp
- Turmeric powder…….1tsp
- Onion…………..1 or 2finely chopped
- Vegetable masala powder…1 tsp
- Oil……….as required
- Salt …….as required
- Coriander leaves……finely chopped.
- Cinnamon…1 piece
- Star anise….1
- Cook rice separately remember it should not be mushy.
- Boil potatoes and cut it into cubes.
- Pour oil in the pan. If it is for kids can use ghee instead of oil.
- Now put fry masala ingredients cinnamon,star anise, cloves and cardomom.
- After sauting add chopped onions fry a little add cubed potatoes now add turmeric powder, chilly powder, vegetable masala powder and salt.Fry till it is crispy.
- Now add the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can serve with raita and papad.
When giving for kids remove the whole spices after cooking and before serving for kids .
An evening time snack. An easy preparation. Since this is by steaming it is healthier.
- Fine rice flour…1cup
- Oil.. ……………..1tbs to 2tbs
- Urad dhal…..1tsp
- Red chillies…2 or3
- Curry leaves…a few
- Grated coconut….1/4 cup
- Onion……….1 finely chopped.
- Put 1 tbs oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when the splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion s and fry
- Add this mixture to the rice flour.
- Now add the coconut scrapings to the flour.
- Allow water to boil and add salt and oil to it.
- Using a kitchen ladle slowly add the boiling water in the rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now cook the KOZHUKATTAI balls by steaming method.
You can avoid chopped onions if you don’t prefer. I prefer this because it enhances the taste.
- Rice..2 cups
- Carrot………1 or 2
- Green Chillies….4
- Big onion…2 to 3
- Coriander leaves..1 bunch
- Peas…1/2 cup
- Mint leaves…1bunch
- Potato ..1 large
- Turmeric…2 tsp
- Water..4cups or coconut milk
- Garlic…8 flakes
- Ginger…1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Bread few slices
Wash and drain rice.
Peel and cut carrots and potatoes in long,thin slices.
Slice onions and split green chillies
Grind ginger and garlic
Cut bread into small pieces and fry in ghee.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee then add cinnamon,cloves,cardomoms and cashews.
- Now add onions and green chillies till crisp.
- Add tomato pieces and ground masala fry till the oil separate s
- Add other vegetables fry slightly and now add water or coconut milk.
- When it begins to boil add mint leaves,coriander leaves,turmeric powder ,salt and finally rice.
- Close the cooker with it’s lid
- Put weight and cook for 10 mts on slow fire or keep for one whistle
- Remove from the stove and allow the pressure to subside.
- Remove weight open the lid and add bread and lime juice and mix well.
If you want more spicy can add chilly powder also can add ready-made briyani masala.
This is a flavourful Indian rice dish.
Serve with raitha and papad.
Keralites prepare different types of thoran.Green gram thoran is one among them.Green gram is very rich in proteins,iron,Vit.B, Magnesium,Vit A,Calcium and Vit.B12.
In short it is packed with protein and low carbs.It is filling even small quantity is taken.It is easy to digest.
I learnt this recipe after my marriage when I came to Kerala.
- Coconut scrapings…1/4 cup
- Green gram………… .1 cup
- Red chillies………. ..2 or 3
- Curry leaves……. a few
- Cumin seeds…….1/4 tsp
- Shallots……… A few.
- Garlic pods…..2 or 3
- Coconut oil….1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp.
Wash and soak green gram for atleast
- Pressure cook green gram for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Put shallots,green chillies and garlic pods in a jar and whip it.
- Take a kadai when it gets heated pour coconut oil
- Now add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves then add coconut scrapings and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add cooked green gram and grounded mixture and salt and mix well.
Some grind coconut scrapings green chillies , garlic pods and cumin seeds and add to the mixture.
Any option according to your taste.
This thoran is a side dish for rice but in Kerala they take it as a side dish with kanji which is a favourite food for Keralites.
Arbi fry can be a starter or can be eaten as a side dish for variety rice like lime rice or even for rasam.In my home it’s a all time favourite for all.
- Salt as required
- Red chilli powder
- Oil for frying.
- 1 to 2 TBS oil to marinate
- Clean colacasia and you steam cook or cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Remove the skin .It will peel off easilyShould be slimy but not mushy.
- Add chilli powder and sprinkle salt and oil to marinate after cutting into 2 pieces.
- Marinate and keep it in fridge for 10 to 15 mts.
- Either fry it deep fry or fry in a non-stick pan adding oil liberally.
The vegetable has to be cooked properly.It goes well with morkulambu.
Red kidney beans is a variety of the common beans.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as folate, cz molybdenum,iron,copper,manganese, potassium,vit.K,and phosphorus.
- Rajma beans……..1cup
- Oil………….1 to 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3 as required
- Curry leaves ….A few
- Coconut scrapings….2 tsp
- Salt as required.
Soak rajma overnight for 7 to 8 hrs.And pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Keep aside the cooked beans.
- In a kadai.pour oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it gets fried add cooked rajma salt and when it blends well add coconut scrapings.