- Rice..2 cups
- Carrot………1 or 2
- Green Chillies….4
- Big onion…2 to 3
- Coriander leaves..1 bunch
- Peas…1/2 cup
- Mint leaves…1bunch
- Potato ..1 large
- Turmeric…2 tsp
- Water..4cups or coconut milk
- Garlic…8 flakes
- Ginger…1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Bread few slices
Wash and drain rice.
Peel and cut carrots and potatoes in long,thin slices.
Slice onions and split green chillies
Grind ginger and garlic
Cut bread into small pieces and fry in ghee.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee then add cinnamon,cloves,cardomoms and cashews.
- Now add onions and green chillies till crisp.
- Add tomato pieces and ground masala fry till the oil separate s
- Add other vegetables fry slightly and now add water or coconut milk.
- When it begins to boil add mint leaves,coriander leaves,turmeric powder ,salt and finally rice.
- Close the cooker with it’s lid
- Put weight and cook for 10 mts on slow fire or keep for one whistle
- Remove from the stove and allow the pressure to subside.
- Remove weight open the lid and add bread and lime juice and mix well.
If you want more spicy can add chilly powder also can add ready-made briyani masala.
This is a flavourful Indian rice dish.
Serve with raitha and papad.
Keralites prepare different types of thoran.Green gram thoran is one among them.Green gram is very rich in proteins,iron,Vit.B, Magnesium,Vit A,Calcium and Vit.B12.
In short it is packed with protein and low carbs.It is filling even small quantity is taken.It is easy to digest.
I learnt this recipe after my marriage when I came to Kerala.
- Coconut scrapings…1/4 cup
- Green gram………… .1 cup
- Red chillies………. ..2 or 3
- Curry leaves……. a few
- Cumin seeds…….1/4 tsp
- Shallots……… A few.
- Garlic pods…..2 or 3
- Coconut oil….1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp.
Wash and soak green gram for atleast
- Pressure cook green gram for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Put shallots,green chillies and garlic pods in a jar and whip it.
- Take a kadai when it gets heated pour coconut oil
- Now add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves then add coconut scrapings and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add cooked green gram and grounded mixture and salt and mix well.
Some grind coconut scrapings green chillies , garlic pods and cumin seeds and add to the mixture.
Any option according to your taste.
This thoran is a side dish for rice but in Kerala they take it as a side dish with kanji which is a favourite food for Keralites.
Arbi fry can be a starter or can be eaten as a side dish for variety rice like lime rice or even for rasam.In my home it’s a all time favourite for all.
- Salt as required
- Red chilli powder
- Oil for frying.
- 1 to 2 TBS oil to marinate
- Clean colacasia and you steam cook or cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Remove the skin .It will peel off easilyShould be slimy but not mushy.
- Add chilli powder and sprinkle salt and oil to marinate after cutting into 2 pieces.
- Marinate and keep it in fridge for 10 to 15 mts.
- Either fry it deep fry or fry in a non-stick pan adding oil liberally.
The vegetable has to be cooked properly.It goes well with morkulambu.
Red kidney beans is a variety of the common beans.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as folate, cz molybdenum,iron,copper,manganese, potassium,vit.K,and phosphorus.
- Rajma beans……..1cup
- Oil………….1 to 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3 as required
- Curry leaves ….A few
- Coconut scrapings….2 tsp
- Salt as required.
Soak rajma overnight for 7 to 8 hrs.And pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Keep aside the cooked beans.
- In a kadai.pour oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it gets fried add cooked rajma salt and when it blends well add coconut scrapings.
Among tiffin items sambar idli is the one which can be prepared either ordinary ones or with mini idlis.Idlis is a soft spongy cake like tiffin tem made from rice and lentil batter.In most SouthIndian homes they prepare this almost daily.It is cooked by steaming so suitable for all ages.It is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder Today I’m going to give a variety using idli.Same way there are many varieties of sambar. For this I’m sharing moong dhal sambar or it may be called tiffin sambar.
- Rice ….4 cups
- Round urad dhal….1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds….1 TSP
- Salt as required.
Soak rice and dhal four to six hours.
The batter is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder.
- Procedure for batter
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it.Add enough water.Check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.Approximately it will need 20 to25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft ,fluffy and flow.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder add rice to it then add water to it.Grind the rice into smooth paste.It will take 35 to 40 mts.
- Now add the rice batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.Store in a large container in a big container.
- Keep aside for fermenting .It should be kept for 8 to 10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic conditions.Weather is very important as insummerit will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added for grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in the refrigerator in the evening. If we grind in the evening can keep it in the morning..
- Now the process of making idli.
- Grease the idli stand with oil,then take a spoon of batter and pour in the moulds. Steam in idli pot.
- This may take upto 12 to 15mts.
MOONG DHAL SAMBAR
- Moong dhal…..1/2 to 1 cup
- Green chillies….2
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves …Few
- Oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tbs.
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Garlic….1 pod
- Asafoetida…1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pressure pan.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add chopped onions.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and finally add tomatoes and fry.
- Add cooked and mashed dhal,water little sambar powder and required salt.
- Close the pan and leave it for 1 whistle.
- After opening add chopped coriander leaves.
Instead of adding cooked dhal can add raw dhal following the same steps but leave it for 2 whistles.But for me I like the taste when we add cooked dhal. There is difference in taste.
- Take a bowl keep few cooked idlis in it.Then pour sambar over it.Add a dash of ghee on it. This adds the taste for the idli.
Potatoes are starchy tuberous crop.Potàtoes are one of the most versatile and delicious vegetable. Potatoes have become a staple food in many parts of the world and an integral part of much of the world’s food supply.
Potatoes are often broadly classified as high on the glycemic index and. So are often excluded from the diets of individual who follow a low g.i.index.
Potatoes are an excellent source of vitC,a good source of potassium,vit.B6,fat and sodium.They are incredibly filling.
- Oil 3 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Uraddhal—–1/2 tsp
- Green chillies___3
- Onion___1 or 2 finely chopped.
- Coconut scraping___4 tbs
- Curry leaves few
- Salt as needed
- Boil and mash potatoes after removing skin
- Add salt and fresh grated coconut and mix well.
- Keep a kadai add oil after that add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves, chopped onions and slit green chillies and saute it.
- Finally add mashed potatoes to it.
Simply flavoured side dish for rice.
Raw banana is a good source of protein and vitamins. It is. Low in sodium and calories.
- 2tbs——-coriander seeds
- 2tbs——–channa dhal
- 2 or3——-red chillies
- Raw banana—–250gms or 3 o 4
- 1/2 tsp———–turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbs——-oil
- 1 pinch——–asafoetida
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp——-mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp——urad dhal
- Peel and slice the raw banana after washing it.
- Slice them in thin rounds and put it in water so that it doesn’t turn dark.
- In a frying pan put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add sliced raw banana to it.
- Now add turmeric powder,add powder and salt to it.
Fry till it becomes crispy.
Optional:If u want a simplified instead of preparing powder can use red chilly powder.
The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean.It is named for it’s visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as molybdenum, folate,iron, copper,maganese, potassium,vit.K and phosphorus.It is high in protein and fibre.
I would like to share my experience of cooking this curry for the first time.It was some 26 yrs back my husband s friend who came from North India shared this curry for lunch with him and my husband wanted me to try this.My husband’s friend’s wife taught me this.The next day itself I tried this curry. It came out very well.And After she tasted it told me that it tastes good. So started preparing this curry.
Lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.It controls blood sugar also helps in weight loss too.Best for diabetes patients.
- Rajma——-200 gms
- Chilly powder—1 to 2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste—1/2to1tsp
- Onion chopped—1/2 cup
- 🍅 tomatoes chopped—1/2 cup
- Coriander powder—-1
- Masalapowder –1 tbs(optional)
- Salt as required.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight that is up to 8 to 10hrs.
- Keep cooker or pressure pan on stove and pour oil in it.Add onions till it turns brown.Then add chopped tomatoes to it Till it turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder,chilly powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add soaked rajma to it.Finally add salt.
- Close the cooker after adding required amount of water.Allow it for 5 to 6 whistles some beans may require two more.
- When it gets cooled open and add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Another method is to cook rajma separately and then add to the other ingredients after adding tomatoes.Check that the beans are cooked and are soft.
Here you can add onion paste with tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
Can be served with naan,roti, chappathi or plain rice.
Water should be added in equal quantity of rajma beans.