Puliyodare,Pulihora or Tamarind rice is a common rice recipe in South Indian States.This is a main course dish. This is usually a neivedyam for Pooja’s both in homes and also in temples.Also this is travel friendly recipe . Best for lunch box too.
Ingredients for mix
- Channa dhal…..2tbs
- Urad dhal……….2 TBS
- Coriander seeds..1 TSP
- Pepper……..1 Tsp
- Methi seeds..1tsp
- Red chillies …4 or 5
- Asafoetida..1/4 TSP.
In a kadai first put Channa dhal then urad dhal and dry roast it for sometime.then add coriander seeds ,pepper corns,methi seeds and red chillies. Fry a little then add asafoetida.After roasting put it in mixer grinder and make it into a fine powder.Keep it aside. Can refrigerate it and use while preparing the mix.
Ingredients for the mix
- Tamarind..lime size
- Mustard seeds…1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal……1/2 TSP
- Channa dhal…1/2 TSP
- Groundnuts….4 TBS
- Curry leaves….few
- Red chillies…..3
- Jaggery a small piece.
- Gingelly oil ..4 tbs
- Turmeric powder…1/4 TSP
- Salt as required
- Asafoetida…1/4 TSP
- In a kadai add gingelly oil.
- When it gets heated add mustard seeds then urad dhal and Channa dhal.
- When it gets roasted add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder
- Now add ground nuts
- Fry a little and add the grounded powder to it.
- Now let it mix well
- Add tamarind extract to it.
- Allow it to boil.
- When it starts thickening add required salt.
- Till it is like a halwa stage
- Remove from fire and store in airtight container.
- Take a cup of cooked rice and mix with it.
- Serve with papad or vathal.
Ivy guord is rich in Iron,Vit.C and calcium.It helps in regulating blood sugar.It is rich inVit.B1,VitB2 and dietary fibre.
Baby corn is good source of different nutrients.It also contains fibres protein as well as vital anti oxidants too.It is said just half cup of serving meet 4%of daily body requirements of VitA and iron,2% of daily requirements of VitA. C.
- Ivy guord….1cup
- Baby corn…1/2 or 1 cup
- Onion……2 or 3
- Oil………2 to 3 tbs
- Chilli powder…..2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder…1/4 tsp
- Salt…as required.
- Ginger garlic paste…1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/3 tsp
- Heat a pan with oil.Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When it turns brown add ginger garlic paste fry a little
- Now add onions when it is half done add tomatos add turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- Mix well .Then add ivy guord and baby corn and required salt.
- Cover and cook.
- If needed sprinkle water inbetween.
- Fry till done
- Serve with rice as side dish.
I have already posted vegetable biriyani cooker method this is microwave method
- Soaked Basmati Rice….200gms
- Black pepper…3
- Salt and Sugar as per your taste.
- Mixed vegetables cauliflower,peas,french beans and carrot chopped…….1cup
- Soya sauce…..2tbs
- Chilli sauce…2tbs
- In microwave safe glass bowl add ghee, vegetables,all masalas and soaked basmati rice,mix it well and cook.
- When beep add water,salt and sugar.
- Cover it start cooking.
Mine is Samsung Oven and it has code which is preset.so I am cooking in that way.You can cook according to your oven.Serve hot with raita and papad.
Easy preparation.Favourite for kids too.Ladies finger are rich in Vitamin.A, Vitamin C. Rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals. It has high level of antioxidants.Fresh pods are good sources of folates.
They are also wthB complex vitamins,niacin,vit K.It also has iron, calcium,manganese and magnesium.
There are lot of health benefits when we eat this.
- Ladies finger….250gms.
- Onion ……1(optional)
- Red chillies……2 or 3
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder…….1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds…1/4tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Red gram dhal……2 tbs
- Coriander seeds…2 tbs
- Red chillies……….3 or 4
Dry roast these ingredients and powder it.
- First wash and wipe ladies fingers.
- Chop into 11/2 to 2 inches length.
- Keep kadai and put oil in it.
- Now after seasoning add red chillies.If you are adding onions now you add fry a little.
- Now add okra to it.
- To ladies finger add turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt and fry.
- When it is 3/4 done add 1 to 2 tbs of the powder to it.
- When it blends well remove from fire.
It goes well with phulka,dal rice, sambar or even with curd rice.
When for kids need not add red chillies.
If you are adding the powder can decrease the number of red chillies.
I have given a number of single rice recipes. This post is a single rice preparation which is very easy to prepare. Almost all kids favourite is 🥔. It is also a lunch box recipe. I cooked rice seperately and prepared potato separately.
- Cooked rice……1 cup
- Potatoes…………2 cut into small cubes
- Ginger garlic paste…..1 tsp
- Chilly powder………….1 tsp
- Turmeric powder…….1tsp
- Onion…………..1 or 2finely chopped
- Vegetable masala powder…1 tsp
- Oil……….as required
- Salt …….as required
- Coriander leaves……finely chopped.
- Cinnamon…1 piece
- Star anise….1
- Cook rice separately remember it should not be mushy.
- Boil potatoes and cut it into cubes.
- Pour oil in the pan. If it is for kids can use ghee instead of oil.
- Now put fry masala ingredients cinnamon,star anise, cloves and cardomom.
- After sauting add chopped onions fry a little add cubed potatoes now add turmeric powder, chilly powder, vegetable masala powder and salt.Fry till it is crispy.
- Now add the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can serve with raita and papad.
When giving for kids remove the whole spices after cooking and before serving for kids .