- When you prepare sundal grind curry leaves and ginger and mix it the taste will be different.
- When we prepare soup can add 1/2 tsp ginger extract
- While preparing oothappam make a small hole in the middle and pour little oil in it,this will make it crispier.
- While preparing sweet pongal add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to it.
- After few days snacks like muruku and karasev will loose it’s taste to enhance taste you can powder it then add salt,chilly powder and a little bit of coconut scrapings.
- Soak some badam in water and grind it into paste add to gravy it will taste good also more nutritious.
- While grinding dough for dosai add little Bengal gram dhal and grind it.Taste will be enhanced.
- When we take chappathi for traveling put few pieces of ginger in the box it will keep it fresher for longer time.
- When we give filter coffee for guest add little instant coffee powder and pour in a cup.This will give you a frothy coffee.
- For grinding green chillies in mixi slit into two it will become a smooth paste.
1.Sprinkle burnt pots liberally with baking soda add enough water to moisten.let it remain so for several hours.Then it can be easily removed.
2.Stubborn stain on nonstick cookware by boiling 2 tsp of baking soda 1/2cup vinegar and 1 cup water for 10 Mts.and then clean it.
3.To remove coffee and tea stains from chinaware rub with a damp cloth dipped in baking soda.
4.When one glass tumbler is stuck inside another do not force them apart.fill the top with cold water and dip the lower one in hot water.They will come apart without breaking.
5.To get rid plastic containers of foul odours place a crumbled up newspapers black and white only.cover tightly and leave overnight.
1.Rasam should not boil too much.
2.We should not cover the greens while cooking(keerai)
3.Dont store potatoes and bananas in fridge
4.Don’t eat cabbage and cauliflower if there is thyroid problem.
5.Don’t fry onions and tomatoes together first fry onions then add tomatoes.
EASY TIPS WHILE COOKING
1.While adding salt to pickle fry and add it keeps pickle fresher for longer time.
2.For preparing onion bajjis instead of peeling and cutting you cut and then peel.
3.Suppose if after preparing ready made jamun are hard you remove from syrup steam them and then put in jeera syrup
4.Breaking jaggery will be easier if kept in cloth and broken.
5. After melting ghee pour little water in that vessel and boil it.add this water while preparing Rasam or Sambhar it will enhance the taste.
6. If you have forgotten to soak dhal for sundal fry a little and then pour boiling water it will soak quickly.
In India we have a number of spices.Usually I post a recipe but today I thought of giving the glossary of few Indian Spices in a few language with the intention that it will be useful for beginners.With different climatic condition we produce different spices.We can use spice in different forms.Some are soaked and used, some fried,some cooked and we use in different stages of cooking . some can be used in a powdered form.Some added last to give flavour too.Below I have given a list of few spices so that it will be helpful for beginners to know about the spices used in a particular recipe.
|Bay leaf||Tej patta||Vayanaila||Brinji ila||Biranjiaku|
|Poppyseeds||Khus khus||khas khas||Khasa khasa||Gasagsalu|
|Dry Mango||Amchur||Unnaka mango podi||Kayantha mangai podi||Mamidi kaya podi|
|Green gram dhal||Moong||Cherupayar||Pasipayar||Pasaraparupu|
|Molasses,Brown sugar||Gur||Sarkarai||Vellam Sarkara||Bellambu|
Removing stains from fabric
1.For ink stains :
It is advisable to immediately wash these stains with hot water and
soap.For denser ones can scrub some lemon and wash the stain with some soap .
2.For tea and coffee stains:
Pour boiling water from a height of 3 or 4 ft on these stains.Then wash them
with warm and soapy water and rinse well.
3. Stains of all kinds of rust:
Lemon juice or salt can be used to remove these stains.
4. Paint stains:
Dip the stained clothes for about 1/2 an hour in turpentine oil and wash them away with soap.
Make a paste of water and soap and rub it on both sides of the stained cloth.When dry pout hot water on the stains from a height of 2 mts.
- To remove stickers from stainless steel vessels heat the vessels then using knife remove the stickers.
- Stainless Coffee Filters and tea strainers can be cleaned easily by showing it in flames.
- To remove rust from knives cut the potato and rub it to it.
- To keep lemons fresh keep it in cloth and then keep it fridge
Nowadays hosting parties is part and parcel in our life. We host parties for different purposes.
Table setting that is laying a table or place setting refers to the way to set a table with tableware such as eating utensils and for serving and eating.The arrangement for a single dinner is called a place setting.
The room room should be arranged for receiving and the host should see that the seating arrangement is done properly.
The etiquette to be observed by the host or the hostess begins from the setting of the table which depends upon many things like the number of people invited, the menu, the way of serving the course.etc.
One can manage guests themselves or with the help of 2 or 3 persons.It is best to limit to 8 to 10 couples for a party.If one cannot prepare everything can get few food stuff from outside also..If guests are all going to talk and enjoy themselves a small number would be ideal to make the atmosphere informal and cosy.
A large number would mean that people will form groups and chat away in corners instead of everyone joining in the fun that is going on.
Setting the table smartly and beautifully is important and quite often opens up a line of conversation and paves the way towards the success of the party.
For a basic table setting one should remember the order of plates and utensils .One can remember the word “FORK”.The order left to right.
- F for fork.
- O for plate (Shape)
- K for knives
- S for spoons.
This setting is appropriate for most occassions.
- The knife is placed to the right of the plate with the sharp edge towards the plate
- .To the right side of the knife is the spoon.
- The water glass goes above the knife.
- Napkins can be placed under the forks or on the plate for an informal setting.
If a salad is to be served the salad fork is placed to the left of the diiner fork.
Desert fork can be brought with the desert
In formal dinner setting:
- White and red wine glasses if necessary along with water glasses are positioned to the left of coffee cup.
- You can serve appetisers and beverages in the living room before sitting down.
Before serving dessert clear the table of dishes and other implements and finger bowls should be brought in for the guests to clean their fingers of stains from curry and grease.Finger bowls should be picked up and kept on the left where originally fork was placed.One should remember that finger bowl is not a hand bowl.One can then wipe off with the napkin.
The wines served to guests in the party generally are white wine, champagne with pudding.Sometimes tea or coffee is also served.
Last but not least one should not forget salt and pepper shakers too.
Image source: shutterstock
- If salt is excess in kootu or curry, grind 2 or 3 of the following ingredients,onion tomato,cashew,coconut fry and grind it then add to curry
- If dosa batter,can fry little rawa and add to batter.
- To remove excess salt in vegetable porial like brinjal,carrot beetroot,ladiesfinger can add fried onions
- If in rice items can add ghee.
- If in sambar put raw potato in it..