India is one the largest producers of drumsticks. It is used widely in cooking. The leaves,the drumsticks even the flowers can be used for cooking. It can be added in curry or can be or can be prepared as stir fry.
Cultivated in many parts across India drumstick is widely known to be therapeutic with a very high nutrition content.
Fresh pods and seeds are an excellent sources of oleic acid a health benefiting mono unsaturated fat. Rich in Vit.C., Vit.B6 and Vit.A. They are packed with valuable minerals and protein.i.e. rich in calcium, iron and others.
It also helps in digestion,protects against infections.
- Murungakkai……2 nos. Cut into 2″
- Turmeric powder….1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut…1/4 cup
- Shallots..4 or 5
- Garlic…2 or 3 cloves
- Red chillies…..2 to 3
- Cumin seeds..1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…….1/2 tsp
- Cook the drumsticks pieces with little salt and turmeric with 1 cup water and cook till it is half done.
- Coarse grind the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- Add drumsticks and grinded paste to it. Check for salt add if needed and when tender and dry remove from fire.
- Serve as side dish for rice.
Easy preparation.Favourite for kids too.Ladies finger are rich in Vitamin.A, Vitamin C. Rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals. It has high level of antioxidants.Fresh pods are good sources of folates.
They are also wthB complex vitamins,niacin,vit K.It also has iron, calcium,manganese and magnesium.
There are lot of health benefits when we eat this.
- Ladies finger….250gms.
- Onion ……1(optional)
- Red chillies……2 or 3
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder…….1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds…1/4tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Red gram dhal……2 tbs
- Coriander seeds…2 tbs
- Red chillies……….3 or 4
Dry roast these ingredients and powder it.
- First wash and wipe ladies fingers.
- Chop into 11/2 to 2 inches length.
- Keep kadai and put oil in it.
- Now after seasoning add red chillies.If you are adding onions now you add fry a little.
- Now add okra to it.
- To ladies finger add turmeric powder,chilly powder and salt and fry.
- When it is 3/4 done add 1 to 2 tbs of the powder to it.
- When it blends well remove from fire.
It goes well with phulka,dal rice, sambar or even with curd rice.
When for kids need not add red chillies.
If you are adding the powder can decrease the number of red chillies.
Raw mango is rich in Vitamin.A,VitC,Vit.B6. It also contains folate,potasssium and magnesium. Add fiber to your diet. Vitamin.A,Vit.C,Vit.B,
Rasam is a South Indian dish. It is traditionally prepared using tamarind juice with the addition of tomato,chilli, pepper and cumin. Now ready-made rasam powder is available.
It is eaten with rice or separately as a spicy soup. Different types of rasam can be prepared and since this is mango season I thought of sharing mango rasam recipe.It is a balance between sweet sour and spicy flavour It can be served with rice and porial.
- Raw mango…….1
- Ghee for seasoning
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal………….1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves…a few
- Coriander leaves chopped.1 tsp
- Rasam powder….1 to 2 tbs
- Cook mango either whole in cooker or cut it into pieces and cook
- When mango is cooled put in a mixi blender and blend into smooth puree.
- In a kadai put ghee then mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Add mango pulp and rasam powder add little water.
- Add rasam powder and salt.Allow it to boil.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Coriander is a phyto nutrient dense herb rich in geraniol, limonene,campho,elemol and many others,so it helps to control blood sugar cholestrol and free radical.
We have many chutney varieties, Cilantro or KOTHAMALLI chutney is one This is with coriander leaves.
Cilantro is very low in saturated fat and cholestrol and caloric value is nearly non existent. Good in dietary fiber,Vit.A,C,E,K,Calcium,iron, potassium and magnesium. Half cup of fresh cilantro provides 270 IU of vit.A and 16,% of the daily recommended Vit.K. Cilantro gives a fresh boost of flavour without the addition of sea salt or other seasonings.It is rich in phytonutrients,flavonoids andphenotic compounds.
The vit.K and calcium content of cilantro help to build strong bones and hair.It helps to loers anxiety and improves sleep.
- Coriander leaves……1cup
- Tamarind……. Little
- Black urad dhal or white…1tbs
- Red chillies…….4 to 5
- Salt as required
If frying u need oil,1/4tsp mustard seeds,1/2tsp urad dhal.
- Thoroughly wash the coriander leaves.
- Put oil in a kadai add urad dhal and red chillies and fry.
- After frying a little add coriander leaves which are chopped.
- Keep aside and allow till it cools.
- Now add salt and tamarind and grind.
- Add little water to it. At this stage you can use it like a dip . This will be a different taste.
- Another way is that keep kadai again pour little oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add the grinded chutney to it.The water content in it will be absorbed and it will begin to get thick.
Can eat with dosai also best for curd rice.
A very protein rich diet recipe .Lobia ranks much higher on nutrition making it a hidden healthy gem. They are brimming with the goodness of B complex vitamins,proteins,zinc,calcium and iron.
It contains almost essential vitamins and minerals.Vit.A,B,B1,B2,B5,B6,C,folic acid, potassium, magnesium,selinium,sodium etc.
It is beneficial for our health .It maintains standard cholesterol level. It also removes free radicals.
Lignin is a good component is present is good for weight loss.
- Karamani……..1 cup
- Mustard seeds…1/2tsp
- Urad dhal…….1 tsp
- Asafoetida…..1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves…few
- Salt as needed
- Red chillies or green chillies…..2
- Coconut optional…..4 or 5 tbs
- Coriander leaves optional finely chopped…1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the beans for few minutes and soak it for few hours.
- Pressure cook it till it gets cooked.
- In a kadai put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal now add green or red chillies.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add cooked beans and salt mix well.
- If going to add coconut you can add now .
- Same with coriander leaves too
If for neivedyam add coconut scrapings if taking for weight loss diet can skip that.
A bottle guord or white flowered giurd is a vine grown for it’s fruit. It is harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable .When it is freshit has a light green smooth skin and white flesh. The round ones are called CALABASH guord and long ones are called bottle guord.
Bottle guord is the favourite vegetable of Indians and are especially good for old age people and toddlers.
It is rich in vitamin s like thiamine,vit.C,folate,Vit B2,B3,B5 and B6.
Also rich minerals like calcium, magnesium,phosphorus,potassium,zincand has iron and maganese too.
Bottle guord is rich in fiber so it helps preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
It helps in preventing fatigue.can have in the form of juice too.
Hollowed out and dried Calabash are used as utensils.
- Bottle guord deskinned and chopped…1 cup
- Green gram dhal.. 1/4 cup cooked and mashed
- Coconut scrapings…3 to 4 tbs
- Onion…1 finely chopped
- Tomato..1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds…1/4 tsp
- Red chillies …2
- Turmeric powder…..2 pinches
- Garlic……3 cloves
- Oil.,…..2 tbs
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Salt as required
- Coriander leaves chopped.
When you chop the bottle guord discard the stem and deskin it.
Cook dal separately and mash it.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
Grind coconut scrapings,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic cloves.
- In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal after turning brown add onions.
- When onions are transparent add tomatoes to it .
- When slightly mushy add bottle guord and pour water for cooking it.
- Add turmeric powder when half done add salt to it.
- When it is cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add coconut paste to it.
- When done finally add chopped coriander leaves.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
An evening time snack. An easy preparation. Since this is by steaming it is healthier.
- Fine rice flour…1cup
- Oil.. ……………..1tbs to 2tbs
- Urad dhal…..1tsp
- Red chillies…2 or3
- Curry leaves…a few
- Grated coconut….1/4 cup
- Onion……….1 finely chopped.
- Put 1 tbs oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when the splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion s and fry
- Add this mixture to the rice flour.
- Now add the coconut scrapings to the flour.
- Allow water to boil and add salt and oil to it.
- Using a kitchen ladle slowly add the boiling water in the rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now cook the KOZHUKATTAI balls by steaming method.
You can avoid chopped onions if you don’t prefer. I prefer this because it enhances the taste.
Among dosai varieties rawa dosai is one.This is common in South India.We have it either for breakfast or for dinner.Each have different combinations the following is mine.
- Roasted rawa……1 cup
- Rice flour………….1 cup
- Chopped onions.1/4 cup
- Green chillies……2
- Grated ginger….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves..a few
- Coriander leaves..chopped 1 or 2 tbs.
- Cumin seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds..1/4 tsp
- Split urad dhal…1/2 tsp
- Coconut cut into small bits
- Salt to taste.
- Put oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add split urad dhal when it turns brown.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Now add curry leaves,chopped onion and green chillies.when it turns brown add to batter.
- Mix maida,rice flour and rawa with salt now add 2 to 2.5 cup water it should be watery.
- Now add the fried items chopped coconut,coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat dosa tawa.
- Pour ladle of batter from edges to centre
- Spread oil all over the dosa
- It takes time
- Add more rice flour and maida if it is sticky.
- If going to add cashews can put in the tawa and then pour the batter.
- For a variation can add grated 🥕.
I have added green chillies can add pepper instead of it
Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
Keralites prepare different types of thoran.Green gram thoran is one among them.Green gram is very rich in proteins,iron,Vit.B, Magnesium,Vit A,Calcium and Vit.B12.
In short it is packed with protein and low carbs.It is filling even small quantity is taken.It is easy to digest.
I learnt this recipe after my marriage when I came to Kerala.
- Coconut scrapings…1/4 cup
- Green gram………… .1 cup
- Red chillies………. ..2 or 3
- Curry leaves……. a few
- Cumin seeds…….1/4 tsp
- Shallots……… A few.
- Garlic pods…..2 or 3
- Coconut oil….1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp.
Wash and soak green gram for atleast
- Pressure cook green gram for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Put shallots,green chillies and garlic pods in a jar and whip it.
- Take a kadai when it gets heated pour coconut oil
- Now add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves then add coconut scrapings and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add cooked green gram and grounded mixture and salt and mix well.
Some grind coconut scrapings green chillies , garlic pods and cumin seeds and add to the mixture.
Any option according to your taste.
This thoran is a side dish for rice but in Kerala they take it as a side dish with kanji which is a favourite food for Keralites.