A very protein rich diet recipe .Lobia ranks much higher on nutrition making it a hidden healthy gem. They are brimming with the goodness of B complex vitamins,proteins,zinc,calcium and iron.
It contains almost essential vitamins and minerals.Vit.A,B,B1,B2,B5,B6,C,folic acid, potassium, magnesium,selinium,sodium etc.
It is beneficial for our health .It maintains standard cholesterol level. It also removes free radicals.
Lignin is a good component is present is good for weight loss.
- Karamani……..1 cup
- Mustard seeds…1/2tsp
- Urad dhal…….1 tsp
- Asafoetida…..1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves…few
- Salt as needed
- Red chillies or green chillies…..2
- Coconut optional…..4 or 5 tbs
- Coriander leaves optional finely chopped…1/2 tsp
- Dry roast the beans for few minutes and soak it for few hours.
- Pressure cook it till it gets cooked.
- In a kadai put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal now add green or red chillies.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add cooked beans and salt mix well.
- If going to add coconut you can add now .
- Same with coriander leaves too
If for neivedyam add coconut scrapings if taking for weight loss diet can skip that.
A bottle guord or white flowered giurd is a vine grown for it’s fruit. It is harvested young to be consumed as a vegetable .When it is freshit has a light green smooth skin and white flesh. The round ones are called CALABASH guord and long ones are called bottle guord.
Bottle guord are in if the favourite vegetable of Indians and are especially good for old age people and toddlers.
It is rich in vitamin s like thiamine,vit.C,folate,Vit B2,B3,B5 and B6.
Also rich minerals like calcium, magnesium,phosphorus,potassium,zincand has iron and maganese too.
Bottle guord is rich in fiber so it helps preventing constipation and other digestive disorders.
It helps in preventing fatigue.can have in the form of juice too.
Hollowed out and dried Calabash are used as utensils.
- Bottle guord deskinned and chopped…1 cup
- Green gram dhal.. 1/4 cup cooked and mashed
- Coconut scrapings…3 to 4 tbs
- Onion…1 finely chopped
- Tomato..1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds…1/4 tsp
- Red chillies …2
- Turmeric powder…..2 pinches
- Garlic……3 cloves
- Oil.,…..2 tbs
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Salt as required
- Coriander leaves chopped.
When u chop the bottle guord discard the stem and deskinned it.
Cook dal separately and mash it.
Chop onions and tomatoes.
Grind coconut scrapings,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic cloves.
- In a kadai put oil then add mustard seeds when it splutters addurad dhal after turning brown add onions.
- When onions are transparent add tomorrow’s to it .
- When slightly mushy add bottle guord and pour water for cooking it.
- Add turmeric powder when half done add salt to it.
- When it is cooked and mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add coconut paste to it.
- When done finally add chopped coriander leaves.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
An evening time snack. An easy preparation. Since this is by steaming it is healthier.
- Fine rice flour…1cup
- Oil.. ……………..1tbs to 2tbs
- Urad dhal…..1tsp
- Red chillies…2 or3
- Curry leaves…a few
- Grated coconut….1/4 cup
- Onion……….1 finely chopped.
- Put 1 tbs oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when the splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion s and fry
- Add this mixture to the rice flour.
- Now add the coconut scrapings to the flour.
- Allow water to boil and add salt and oil to it.
- Using a kitchen ladle slowly add the boiling water in the rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now cook the KOZHUKATTAI balls by steaming method.
You can avoid chopped onions if you don’t prefer. I prefer this because it enhances the taste.
Among dosai varieties rawa dosai is one.This is common in South India.We have it either for breakfast or for dinner.Each have different combinations the following is mine.
- Roasted rawa……1 cup
- Rice flour………….1 cup
- Chopped onions.1/4 cup
- Green chillies……2
- Grated ginger….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves..a few
- Coriander leaves..chopped 1 or 2 tbs.
- Cumin seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds..1/4 tsp
- Split urad dhal…1/2 tsp
- Coconut cut into small bits
- Salt to taste.
- Put oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add split urad dhal when it turns brown.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Now add curry leaves,chopped onion and green chillies.when it turns brown add to batter.
- Mix maida,rice flour and rawa with salt now add 2 to 2.5 cup water it should be watery.
- Now add the fried items chopped coconut,coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat dosa tawa.
- Pour ladle of batter from edges to centre
- Spread oil all over the dosa
- It takes time
- Add more rice flour and maida if it is sticky.
- If going to add cashews can put in the tawa and then pour the batter.
- For a variation can add grated 🥕.
I have added green chillies can add pepper instead of it
Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
Keralites prepare different types of thoran.Green gram thoran is one among them.Green gram is very rich in proteins,iron,Vit.B, Magnesium,Vit A,Calcium and Vit.B12.
In short it is packed with protein and low carbs.It is filling even small quantity is taken.It is easy to digest.
I learnt this recipe after my marriage when I came to Kerala.
- Coconut scrapings…1/4 cup
- Green gram………… .1 cup
- Red chillies………. ..2 or 3
- Curry leaves……. a few
- Cumin seeds…….1/4 tsp
- Shallots……… A few.
- Garlic pods…..2 or 3
- Coconut oil….1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp.
Wash and soak green gram for atleast
- Pressure cook green gram for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Put shallots,green chillies and garlic pods in a jar and whip it.
- Take a kadai when it gets heated pour coconut oil
- Now add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves then add coconut scrapings and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add cooked green gram and grounded mixture and salt and mix well.
Some grind coconut scrapings green chillies , garlic pods and cumin seeds and add to the mixture.
Any option according to your taste.
This thoran is a side dish for rice but in Kerala they take it as a side dish with kanji which is a favourite food for Keralites.
Navaratri is close by so thought of posting a sundal recipe .This is slightly different from the regular method.This is very healthy evening time snack for children too.Very easy to prepare.
- Peanut…….250 gms
- Red chillies…2 or 3
- Oil………2 TBS
- Mustard seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1 tsp
- Coconut scrapings….2 TBS
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Sundal powder …1 tsp or 2 tsp
- Onion chopped 1 tbs(optional)
- Coriander seeds….2 TBS
- Channa dhal……..2 TBS
- Red chillies………2 or 3
- Dry roast all three and powder it.
- Can keep in refrigerator for many days
1.Soak peanuts for few hours.
2.Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3.In a kadai pour oil when heated add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
4.When it turns brown if you are adding onions add after putting red chillies then add curry leaves.
5. Add peanut to it then salt,two tsp of powder, coconut scrapings.
6. Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Some will not use onion during Navaratri then u can skip that.
If u don’t want the powder u can increase the number of red chillies.
Some don’t likecoriander leaves if u don’t want can skip that too
Arbi fry can be a starter or can be eaten as a side dish for variety rice like lime rice or even for rasam.In my home it’s a all time favourite for all.
- Salt as required
- Red chilli powder
- Oil for frying.
- 1 to 2 TBS oil to marinate
- Clean colacasia and you steam cook or cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Remove the skin .It will peel off easilyShould be slimy but not mushy.
- Add chilli powder and sprinkle salt and oil to marinate after cutting into 2 pieces.
- Marinate and keep it in fridge for 10 to 15 mts.
- Either fry it deep fry or fry in a non-stick pan adding oil liberally.
The vegetable has to be cooked properly.It goes well with morkulambu.
Red kidney beans is a variety of the common beans.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as folate, cz molybdenum,iron,copper,manganese, potassium,vit.K,and phosphorus.
- Rajma beans……..1cup
- Oil………….1 to 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3 as required
- Curry leaves ….A few
- Coconut scrapings….2 tsp
- Salt as required.
Soak rajma overnight for 7 to 8 hrs.And pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Keep aside the cooked beans.
- In a kadai.pour oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it gets fried add cooked rajma salt and when it blends well add coconut scrapings.
Among tiffin items sambar idli is the one which can be prepared either ordinary ones or with mini idlis.Idlis is a soft spongy cake like tiffin tem made from rice and lentil batter.In most SouthIndian homes they prepare this almost daily.It is cooked by steaming so suitable for all ages.It is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder Today I’m going to give a variety using idli.Same way there are many varieties of sambar. For this I’m sharing moong dhal sambar or it may be called tiffin sambar.
- Rice ….4 cups
- Round urad dhal….1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds….1 TSP
- Salt as required.
Soak rice and dhal four to six hours.
The batter is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder.
- Procedure for batter
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it.Add enough water.Check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.Approximately it will need 20 to25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft ,fluffy and flow.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder add rice to it then add water to it.Grind the rice into smooth paste.It will take 35 to 40 mts.
- Now add the rice batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.Store in a large container in a big container.
- Keep aside for fermenting .It should be kept for 8 to 10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic conditions.Weather is very important as insummerit will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added for grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in the refrigerator in the evening. If we grind in the evening can keep it in the morning..
- Now the process of making idli.
- Grease the idli stand with oil,then take a spoon of batter and pour in the moulds. Steam in idli pot.
- This may take upto 12 to 15mts.
MOONG DHAL SAMBAR
- Moong dhal…..1/2 to 1 cup
- Green chillies….2
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves …Few
- Oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tbs.
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Garlic….1 pod
- Asafoetida…1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pressure pan.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add chopped onions.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and finally add tomatoes and fry.
- Add cooked and mashed dhal,water little sambar powder and required salt.
- Close the pan and leave it for 1 whistle.
- After opening add chopped coriander leaves.
Instead of adding cooked dhal can add raw dhal following the same steps but leave it for 2 whistles.But for me I like the taste when we add cooked dhal. There is difference in taste.
- Take a bowl keep few cooked idlis in it.Then pour sambar over it.Add a dash of ghee on it. This adds the taste for the idli.