Another stir fry for vegans from me.Easy to prepare.Beetroot is not only attractive but also very rich in nutrients.
- Mustard_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal______1/2 TSP
- Curry leaves____1 sprig
- Onions________1 or 2
- Green chillies____3 nos
- Coconut scrapings___1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
1.Peel beetroot and keep in pressure cooker for two whistles.When cool cut into small pieces.Keep aside.
2.Heat a pan.Add oil to it .To it add mustard seeds.when it splutters add urad dhal.
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onions or shallots with green chillies.
4. When done add cut beetroot mix well then add salt and finally coxnut scrapings.
Serve with rice as a side dish.
Goes well with sambar as well as curd rice.
Another variation is can grind coconut with green chillies and 1/4 TSP cumin seeds and instead of adding coconut scrapings add this grinded mixture.
This type of vegetable kurma can be had with roti,parotta ,ghee rice or fried rice.q
Masala to be grinded
- Coconut grated ____1/2 to3/4 cup
- Green chillies_______3 to 4
- Cashew nuts________7 to 8
- Small onions________6 nos
- Garlic______________few flakes
- Ginger chopped___1 inch size
- Fennel seeds______2 TBS
- Cinnamon________2 pieces
- Poppy seeds______2tbs
All these are to be grinded raw.
Vegetables _carrot,beans,potato,beans all these are to be cut and boiled orcan be cooked incooker in one whistle.
- Onion____2 finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil _______2 TBS
- 1 TSP____fennel seeds.
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbs
- Ina saucepan put oil then add fennel seeds
- Now add chopped onions to it.
- After saying add the grinded paste.fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the boiled or cooked vegetables,required salt to it.when it mixes well add chopped coriander leaves.
This is a vegetable with very high fibre content.This is a simple recipe .After washing the beanswe have to destring it. Snap off the tip of one end of the bean and pull the string .Snap and pull the other end of the bean too.The snapped off ends and string are waste. If it is small and tender then snap of the ends it will be enough.Chop the avarakai add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder and cook.
- Avarakai____500 gms
- Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard seeds___1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal_______,1/4 TSP
- Curry leaves_____a few
- Salt as needed
- Coconut scraping 1/3rd cup
- Cumin seeds______1/2 TSP
- Garlic ________2pods
- Coriander leaves few
- Green chillies few
- Add oil in a pan.when it gets heated add mustard seeds after spluttering add urad dhal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the boiled vegetables,salt and after few minutes add the grinded paste to it.
- Mix well.
- After the raw smellgoes switch off .Serve with rice
Another rice variety from me.Many prepare this in different ways. I learnt this from my mother.In this method rice and djal are cooked and then it is prepared.
Tamarind____a small lime size
Turmeric powder____1/4 TSP
Asafoetida______ 1/4 TSP
Veggies___peas,carrot,beans and potato cut into small squares.
Ghee_____ 3 to 4 tbs
Salt as required
Chopped coriander leaves
To roast and grind into coarse powder.
Red chillies___ 3to4
Channa dhal___3 TBS
Dry roast these ingredients and grind into powder.
Oil ___2 TBS
Coconut 3 to 4 TBS
Fry these ingredients lightly and then grind it coarsely without adding water.
Mustard seeds_____1/4 TSP
Urad dhal__________1/2 TSP
- Cook rice and dhal separately.
- Keep cooker in stove.pour3 TBS ghee into it.
- Put onions first saute a little then add cut veggies saute
- Add tamarind extract (enough for cooking veegies)
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt.
- After the veggies are half way done add the powder to it and allow it to boil.
- Add cooked shal first and then cooked rice finally coarsely grounded coconut.
- Add seasoning and chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed add more ghee
- It will be loose initially but will set after sometime.
- Serve with papad or vadams.
South Indian cooking,lunch box recipe,sambar sadam, rice recipes.
Black gram dhal rice is famous in Tirunelveli District.It is rich in protein.As this dhal is rich in iron this is given to girls when they strain puberty also this strengthens the uterus and bones. This is especially good for teenaged girls.
Split urad dhal_____1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds_____1/4 TSP
1.Dry roast black gram dhal.
2.Wash rice and dhal together.Keep it either directly or in a vessel.
3.water should be three and half times..
4.To it add garlic pods coconut scrapings and required amount of salt.
Keep it for 3 whistles.
Black sesame seeds 4 tbs
Red chillies 3 or 4
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarind a small piece
Oil 1 tbs
1.Pour oil in a kadai .Add sesma seeds and red chillies.
2.Then add coconut scrapings fry a little.
3.When cool grind it with tamarind and salt.
RED CHILLIES CHUTNEY
Red chillies 2 or 3
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarin a piece
Oil 2 tbs.
1.Pour oil in a kadai.
2.Add red chillies fry a little then add coconut scrapings.
3. When cool add tamarind and salt and grind it.
Serve with Avial or Okra Pachadi and Papadam.
While mixing rice and thovaial add a dash of sesame oil.
I have used split black gram with skin but can use dhal without skin .
Another South Indian style kootu to share with you all.This is a best side dish for rice and it goes well with chappathi too.
chow chow:2 cups chopped
Moong dhal: 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder:1/4 tsp
curry leaves: a few
Milk: 3 tbs.
Mustard seeds and urad dhal
Coconut grated 3 to 4 tbs
garlic pods:3t0 4 pods
Redchillies:1 to 2.as desired
1.Peel the skin of chow chow and cut into small cubes.Keep aside
2.Grind all the ingredients
3.Cook dhal seperately and mash it well
4.Cook chow chow with turmeric powder when done add required salt add the cooked dhal also to it
5.add the grinded mixture to it and blend well.
6.heat oil add mustard seeds,urad and curry leaves fry and add to it.
7.Lastly add milk to it. Its ready for serving with rice or chappathi
This is a very traditional syle of kootu.Goes well with vathal kuzhambu/puli kulambu also for sambar rice.
We have many chutney varieties for dosai and idli. This is an easy recipie without coconut.According to ones taste you can alter the quantity of onion and tomato.
Big onion -2
Red chillies: 2 or 3
Garlic few pods
coriander and mint and curry leaves
Oil for frying
To a kadai pour little oil.To it add red chillies, tomato,onion,garlic and coriander and curry leaves.If adding mint leaves add it also.
When cool put in a jar and grind it.
Can be kept in fridge ad can use for 2 to 3 days.to
chilli powder as desired
a few salt as needed
1.Wash and cut the snake gourd length wise .Remove seeds also soft white portion.cut into thin slices.
2. Take pudalanga in a colander add little chilly powder and salt to it.water will come out.
3.In a kadai add oil add mustard seeds and urad dhal when it fries add curry leaves then add the vegetable to it.
4.According to your taste add more chilly powder and salt.
keep on frying.When done remove from fire.
Best side dish for sambar rice and curd rice.
Potato fry is a common recipie.But today I thought of sharing with you all a very traditional recipie which I learnt from my mother. Simple and easy one.
Potato cut into pieces :1 t0 2 cups
Coconut scrapings: 3 to 4 Tbs
Green chillies:2 or 3 accdg to taste
Mustard seeds :urad dhal for seasoning
cumin seeds :1/2 tsp
garlic:2 to 3 pods
Curry leaves a few
Salt as desired
oil :1 tbs
- Cook and Peel potatoes then cut into cubes.
- Boil peas seperately.
- Grind coconut scrapings, cumin seeds ,green chillies and garlic pod into a fine paste.
- In a kadai put oil add mustard seeds urad dhal then curry leaves.
- Add potatoes and peas with required salt and little water.
- Then add the grinded masala to it.
- when it gets thickened remove from fire.
Side dish for rice.
Maa Ladoo is one of the popular and easiest recipie in South India.It is a healthy one and also kids friendly.It is very rich in iron.
- Roasted gram /pottukadalai : 1/2 cup
- sugar :1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Cardomom powder:1/4 tsp
- Cashew:1 tbsp(optional)
- Ghee Approximately 1/3rd cup
1.Dry roast potukadalai on medium heat. Till we get the aroma.See that the color does’nt change.Cool and powder it finely in mixie. Sieve the flour and keep aside.
2.Powder sugar finely.Sieve sugar also .
3.In a plate or bowl add both the flour and sugar and mix well.
4. If adding cashews fry in ghee and add to it.
5.Heat ghee and add little by little to the mixture mixing with a spoon.when we are able to touch we should be able to shape into balls.
Allow it to set. Store in air tight container.