Potatoes are starchy tuberous crop.Potàtoes are one of the most versatile and delicious vegetable. Potatoes have become a staple food in many parts of the world and an integral part of much of the world’s food supply.
Potatoes are often broadly classified as high on the glycemic index and. So are often excluded from the diets of individual who follow a low g.i.index.
Potatoes are an excellent source of vitC,a good source of potassium,vit.B6,fat and sodium.They are incredibly filling.
- Oil 3 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Uraddhal—–1/2 tsp
- Green chillies___3
- Onion___1 or 2 finely chopped.
- Coconut scraping___4 tbs
- Curry leaves few
- Salt as needed
- Boil and mash potatoes after removing skin
- Add salt and fresh grated coconut and mix well.
- Keep a kadai add oil after that add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves, chopped onions and slit green chillies and saute it.
- Finally add mashed potatoes to it.
Simply flavoured side dish for rice.
Raw banana is a good source of protein and vitamins. It is. Low in sodium and calories.
- 2tbs——-coriander seeds
- 2tbs——–channa dhal
- 2 or3——-red chillies
- Raw banana—–250gms or 3 o 4
- 1/2 tsp———–turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbs——-oil
- 1 pinch——–asafoetida
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp——-mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp——urad dhal
- Peel and slice the raw banana after washing it.
- Slice them in thin rounds and put it in water so that it doesn’t turn dark.
- In a frying pan put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add sliced raw banana to it.
- Now add turmeric powder,add powder and salt to it.
Fry till it becomes crispy.
Optional:If u want a simplified instead of preparing powder can use red chilly powder.
The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean.It is named for it’s visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as molybdenum, folate,iron, copper,maganese, potassium,vit.K and phosphorus.It is high in protein and fibre.
I would like to share my experience of cooking this curry for the first time.It was some 26 yrs back my husband s friend who came from North India shared this curry for lunch with him and my husband wanted me to try this.My husband’s friend’s wife taught me this.The next day itself I tried this curry. It came out very well.And After she tasted it told me that it tastes good. So started preparing this curry.
Lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.It controls blood sugar also helps in weight loss too.Best for diabetes patients.
- Rajma——-200 gms
- Chilly powder—1 to 2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste—1/2to1tsp
- Onion chopped—1/2 cup
- 🍅 tomatoes chopped—1/2 cup
- Coriander powder—-1
- Masalapowder –1 tbs(optional)
- Salt as required.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight that is up to 8 to 10hrs.
- Keep cooker or pressure pan on stove and pour oil in it.Add onions till it turns brown.Then add chopped tomatoes to it Till it turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder,chilly powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add soaked rajma to it.Finally add salt.
- Close the cooker after adding required amount of water.Allow it for 5 to 6 whistles some beans may require two more.
- When it gets cooled open and add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Another method is to cook rajma separately and then add to the other ingredients after adding tomatoes.Check that the beans are cooked and are soft.
Here you can add onion paste with tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
Can be served with naan,roti, chappathi or plain rice.
Water should be added in equal quantity of rajma beans.
Pumpkin is a vegetable which is highly nutrient dense food.Pumpkin color may be from deep yellow to orange coloration.It is a traditional part of thanksgiving meals inCanada and U.S.and they carve Jack _O_Lantern for decoration around 🎃 Halloween.
Pumpkin is suitable for all ages.It is rich in Vitamins and minerals low in calories.The fiber,potassium and vit. C supports it.Some say that the potassium obtIned in pumpkin has a positive effect in blood pressure.There are lot of antioxidants in it.It is a good source of beta carotene and rich in fibre too.
- Pumpkin_1to2 cups peeled,predetermined and cubed.
- Coconut scrapings -4 tbs
- Cumin seeds_1/2 tsp
- Garlic_2 pods
- Oil_1 tbs
- Mustard seeds_1/4tsp
- Urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Red chillies/Green chillies_2 or accept. to taste.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed.
1.Grind coconut scraping,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic pods coarsely and keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds to it aftet it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves
3.Fry curry leaves a little and Then add pumpkin pieces to it.Fry a little and then add water to cook it.
4.When half done add salt to it.
5.when almost done add the coconut paste to it.
6. Mix well and cook till everything gets binded.
Can add 1 to 2 tbs.jaggery and instead of grinding chillies can powder pepper coarsely and add to it.
This will be slightly sweeter version of curry.
Serve with rice
Potato fry is an all time favourite for many.This is an easy method and is prepared without boiling the potatoes. When it is crispy it tastes good.
- Potatoes -1 Cup
- Chilly powder_1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil as needed
- Mustard seeds_1/4 tsp
- urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder_1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder_1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves chopped
Peel potatoes and keep in water for at least 15 Mts so that starch can be removed.And the fry will be crispy.
1.Cut potatoes into cubes and keep it in water.
2.Keep kadai and after heating add oil to it.
3.Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal and when it turns brown add curry leaves.
4.Now add potatoes and turmeric powder fry for sometime.
5.After sometime add chilly powder and salt and fry.
6.Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Can serve with rice.Goes best for rasam,damage and curd rice.
I thought of posting a sweet recipe for two reasons.One this is my 100 th post and then for my second anniversary with WordPress. Very happy that two years have passed since I started blogging in this plat form.First and foremost I thank WordPress for its support .Next my family ,my friends and my relatives for their encouragement.And above all my followers who have given their support .
Payasam is a common South Indian desert.we prepare even for simple occasions like birthdays too.Among all varieties semiya payasam is the easiest one to prepare.
- Milkmaid__1/2 tin
- Ghee_1 to 2 tbs
- Cardomom3 pods
1. Heat ghee in a pan.Fry raisins and cashews and keep aside.
2In the remaining ghee fry vermicelli if the semiya is not fried.
3.After frying a little add boiled milk and allow it to cook.
4.When cooked add sugar if u are going to add sugar otherwise add milkmaid now
5.when it blends well and powdered cardamom and fried cashews and raisins to it.
It may get thickened after sometime so add milk before serving.
This can be served both hot or chill.
Among the side dishes for Chappathi green peas curry is one among them.Its healthy as well as easy to prepare it.This curry is without adding coconut.I have used dried ones so can prepare even during non season.
- Green peas ___200gms
- Onion_ 2
- Chilli powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder_2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste_1tsp
- Salt as required
- Cinnamon_1inch piece
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves chopped 1tsp
Soak dried green peas overnight.
- In a pressure pan add 1 to 2 tbs.oil
- To it add cloves,cardamom,cinnamon
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Fry a little.
- Add chopped onions to it fry for sometime then add tomatoes to it and cook till mushy.
- Now add soaked green peas,chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,salt and enough water to cook the green peas.
- Mix well and keep for 2 whistles.
- While serving add chopped coriander leaves.
Can serve with Chappathi,Roti or Appam.
Another rice variety from me.Quick rice variety with fresh coriander leaves.Coriander and ginger are a rich source of minerals and vitamins..It’s a healthy dish.
- Cooked rice ________1 cup
- Coriandervleaves_1 cup
- Onion____1 or 2 chopped
- Ginger_____1 inch piece
- Garlic_ 4 Nos
- Green chillies_____2 or 3 Accdg.to taste
- Onion 1 or 2 for frying while preparing rice
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
- Star anise 1
- Carrot 1 diced
- Ghee or oil 2 tbs.
1.Clean coriander leaves,wash it and grind it with onion,green chillies,ginger and garlic.Grind it if needed add just 2 tablespoons of water only and make it as a paste.
2.Heat oil or ghee in a pan first put cinnamon and star anise and add finely chopped onions,then chopped carrots to it.After frying a little the paste to it and required salt
Wait till the raw smell goes.Finally add cooked rice to it and mix well
When ready serve with raita and papad.
I have added carrots but can address peas or cauliflower too.
- Ridge guord skin can be used to grind chutney.This chutney goes well with idli,does.Also can be eaten with rice with a dash of oil.It is a healthy vegetable with less calories and lot of nutrients.
- If it is not organic soak the peel for little while in water.
- Ridge gourd skin peel _____1/2 cup
- Onion big______________2 or shallots
- Coconut scraping_1/4 cup
- Green chillies_4 chillies
- Tamarind a small piece
- Oil ,____2 or3 tbs
- Salt as needed.
- Heat a frying pan and add oil.
- Add a piece of tamarind sauce add sliced shallots or onion when brownies coconut scrapping.Finally add peels to it.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add salt and grind it .If needed add water and grind
Once the required consistency comes transfer to a bowl.
Can use 4 garlic pods. If so add with onions.