Another rice variety from me.Quick rice variety with fresh coriander leaves.Coriander and ginger are a rich source of minerals and vitamins..It’s a healthy dish.
- Cooked rice ________1 cup
- Coriandervleaves_1 cup
- Onion____1 or 2 chopped
- Ginger_____1 inch piece
- Garlic_ 4 Nos
- Green chillies_____2 or 3 Accdg.to taste
- Onion 1 or 2 for frying while preparing rice
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
- Star anise 1
- Carrot 1 diced
- Ghee or oil 2 tbs.
1.Clean coriander leaves,wash it and grind it with onion,green chillies,ginger and garlic.Grind it if needed add just 2 tablespoons of water only and make it as a paste.
2.Heat oil or ghee in a pan first put cinnamon and star anise and add finely chopped onions,then chopped carrots to it.After frying a little the paste to it and required salt
Wait till the raw smell goes.Finally add cooked rice to it and mix well
When ready serve with raita and papad.
I have added carrots but can address peas or cauliflower too.
- Ridge guord skin can be used to grind chutney.This chutney goes well with idli,does.Also can be eaten with rice with a dash of oil.It is a healthy vegetable with less calories and lot of nutrients.
- If it is not organic soak the peel for little while in water.
- Ridge gourd skin peel _____1/2 cup
- Onion big______________2 or shallots
- Coconut scraping_1/4 cup
- Green chillies_4 chillies
- Tamarind a small piece
- Oil ,____2 or3 tbs
- Salt as needed.
- Heat a frying pan and add oil.
- Add a piece of tamarind sauce add sliced shallots or onion when brownies coconut scrapping.Finally add peels to it.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add salt and grind it .If needed add water and grind
Once the required consistency comes transfer to a bowl.
Can use 4 garlic pods. If so add with onions.
Podi idli is a recipe which can be prepared quickly.All you need is idli and idli podi.This is a lunch box special too.Left over idlis can be cut into pieces and we can prepare in this way.
- Idlis podi mixed with oil
- Curry leaves
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- uraddhal 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped 1 tbs
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Make small idlis or cut big idlis into small pieces.
- Mix podi with oil and coat the idlis with it.
- In a pan put 3 tbs oil add mustard seeds to it. When it splitters add urad dhal then add curry leaves.
- When fried add idlis to it.
- Fry a little.
- Sprinle little salt and sugar to it.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Serve hot.some like to have with chutney or Sambhar too.
We have number of side dishes for dosa and idli.One such side dish is peanut chutney which is very healthy one.It is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin B.
- Peanuts ____1/2 cup
- Tomatoes___2 chopped
- Red chillies __2
- Green chillies __1
- Tamarind_a small piece
- Salt as required
- Oil for 2 tbs
- Oil 1 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tspt
- Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves few.
- Pour oil in a kadai .Add green chilly and red chillies fry a little.
- Next add 🍅 tomatoes to it and fry till it becomes mushy.
- Add peanuts to it.
- Fry a little then add tamarind and required salt.
- When cool first grind without water,then add water and grind well.
- First pour oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add head dhal.
- Fry and then add curry leaves.
Add the seasoning to the chutney.
Vangi Bhath is a South Indian dish.In a simple way we call it brinjal rice.A single rice recipe and also tiffinbox recipe too.The powder is the key ingredient for this rice.can store the powder in fridge for up to 10 days and use it when needed.
Rice 2 bowls cookedBrinjal 1 cup cut lengthwise
- Red chillies 4 or 5
- Coriander seeds 2 tbs
- Channa dhal 2tbs
- Urad dhal 2tbs
- Pepper1 tsp
- Cinnamon a small piece
- khus khus 1tsp
- Grated Dry coconut2tbs(optional)
- Oil for seasoning
- Mustardseeds1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Dry roast the ingredients separately and powder it.
- Take a pan put little oil .
- Put mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal fry a little add curry leaves.
- Now add cut brinjals to it.fry .when almost done add the powder and required salt.
- When it mixes well add cooked rice to it.
Serve with raitha or papads
Another stir fry for vegans from me.Easy to prepare.Beetroot is not only attractive but also very rich in nutrients.
- Mustard_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal______1/2 TSP
- Curry leaves____1 sprig
- Onions________1 or 2
- Green chillies____3 nos
- Coconut scrapings___1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
1.Peel beetroot and keep in pressure cooker for two whistles.When cool cut into small pieces.Keep aside.
2.Heat a pan.Add oil to it .To it add mustard seeds.when it splutters add urad dhal.
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onions or shallots with green chillies.
4. When done add cut beetroot mix well then add salt and finally coxnut scrapings.
Serve with rice as a side dish.
Goes well with sambar as well as curd rice.
Another variation is can grind coconut with green chillies and 1/4 TSP cumin seeds and instead of adding coconut scrapings add this grinded mixture.
This type of vegetable kurma can be had with roti,parotta ,ghee rice or fried rice.q
Masala to be grinded
- Coconut grated ____1/2 to3/4 cup
- Green chillies_______3 to 4
- Cashew nuts________7 to 8
- Small onions________6 nos
- Garlic______________few flakes
- Ginger chopped___1 inch size
- Fennel seeds______2 TBS
- Cinnamon________2 pieces
- Poppy seeds______2tbs
All these are to be grinded raw.
Vegetables _carrot,beans,potato,beans all these are to be cut and boiled orcan be cooked incooker in one whistle.
- Onion____2 finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil _______2 TBS
- 1 TSP____fennel seeds.
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbs
- Ina saucepan put oil then add fennel seeds
- Now add chopped onions to it.
- After saying add the grinded paste.fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the boiled or cooked vegetables,required salt to it.when it mixes well add chopped coriander leaves.
This is a vegetable with very high fibre content.This is a simple recipe .After washing the beanswe have to destring it. Snap off the tip of one end of the bean and pull the string .Snap and pull the other end of the bean too.The snapped off ends and string are waste. If it is small and tender then snap of the ends it will be enough.Chop the avarakai add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder and cook.
- Avarakai____500 gms
- Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard seeds___1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal_______,1/4 TSP
- Curry leaves_____a few
- Salt as needed
- Coconut scraping 1/3rd cup
- Cumin seeds______1/2 TSP
- Garlic ________2pods
- Coriander leaves few
- Green chillies few
- Add oil in a pan.when it gets heated add mustard seeds after spluttering add urad dhal.
- Add curry leaves.
- Now add the boiled vegetables,salt and after few minutes add the grinded paste to it.
- Mix well.
- After the raw smellgoes switch off .Serve with rice
Another rice variety from me.Many prepare this in different ways. I learnt this from my mother.In this method rice and djal are cooked and then it is prepared.
Tamarind____a small lime size
Turmeric powder____1/4 TSP
Asafoetida______ 1/4 TSP
Veggies___peas,carrot,beans and potato cut into small squares.
Ghee_____ 3 to 4 tbs
Salt as required
Chopped coriander leaves
To roast and grind into coarse powder.
Red chillies___ 3to4
Channa dhal___3 TBS
Dry roast these ingredients and grind into powder.
Oil ___2 TBS
Coconut 3 to 4 TBS
Fry these ingredients lightly and then grind it coarsely without adding water.
Mustard seeds_____1/4 TSP
Urad dhal__________1/2 TSP
- Cook rice and dhal separately.
- Keep cooker in stove.pour3 TBS ghee into it.
- Put onions first saute a little then add cut veggies saute
- Add tamarind extract (enough for cooking veegies)
- Now add turmeric powder,hing and salt.
- After the veggies are half way done add the powder to it and allow it to boil.
- Add cooked shal first and then cooked rice finally coarsely grounded coconut.
- Add seasoning and chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed add more ghee
- It will be loose initially but will set after sometime.
- Serve with papad or vadams.
South Indian cooking,lunch box recipe,sambar sadam, rice recipes.
Black gram dhal rice is famous in Tirunelveli District.It is rich in protein.As this dhal is rich in iron this is given to girls when they strain puberty also this strengthens the uterus and bones. This is especially good for teenaged girls.
Split urad dhal_____1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds_____1/4 TSP
1.Dry roast black gram dhal.
2.Wash rice and dhal together.Keep it either directly or in a vessel.
3.water should be three and half times..
4.To it add garlic pods coconut scrapings and required amount of salt.
Keep it for 3 whistles.
Black sesame seeds 4 tbs
Red chillies 3 or 4
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarind a small piece
Oil 1 tbs
1.Pour oil in a kadai .Add sesma seeds and red chillies.
2.Then add coconut scrapings fry a little.
3.When cool grind it with tamarind and salt.
RED CHILLIES CHUTNEY
Red chillies 2 or 3
Coconut scrapings 1/2 cup
Tamarin a piece
Oil 2 tbs.
1.Pour oil in a kadai.
2.Add red chillies fry a little then add coconut scrapings.
3. When cool add tamarind and salt and grind it.
Serve with Avial or Okra Pachadi and Papadam.
While mixing rice and thovaial add a dash of sesame oil.
I have used split black gram with skin but can use dhal without skin .