Kovaka also known as Tindora is a small green coloured vegetable.It is affordable,healthy and tasty one.It is a good source of fibre and other nutrients.This is a simple stir fry recipe. INGREDIENTS Kovakai________500 GM’s Onion__________1 or 2 Chilli powder___1 to 2 TSP Turmeric powder___1/2 TSP Oil for frying Salt as required Mustard seeds___1/4 TSP Urad […]
1.When a drain is clogged with grease put a cup of salt and a cup of baking soda into the drain.Then poura kettle of boiling water.This will remove grease.
2.Attached blouse pieces which come with sarees cannot be used.These blouse pieces can be used for stitching small pouches.
3.With bathi’s asheswe can wipe brass handle it will shine
4. If children draw with wax crayons can blow with hair drier when it starts melting canrub it off easily.
5.After using fevicol put few drops of water in it and store.
6.If going to work that is paint or embroidery first wash and then draw the design and start working.
7.For drawing kolams on tile floors we can use children’s crayons.
An easy recipe with few vegetables.This stir fry can be done quickly.Basically a mixed vegetable thoran.It is nutritious and delicious dish.it can be done with a variety of vegetables here I have used cabbage,peas and carrot.
- Mixed vegetables________3 cups
- Shallots ___few or onion finely chopped.
- Coconut_____grated 1/3 cup
- Curry leaves ____a sprig
- Green chillies_____2 chopped
- Red chilly________1
- Oil______2 TBS
- Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal____1/2 TSp
- Boil vegetables and keep aside
- In a pan first put oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal
- Add red chillies
- Now add chopped onion or shallots and green chillies to it and fry after adding curry leaves
- Add the boiled vegetables.
- Mix well and add salt and finally grated coconut to it.it is ready.
This is served as a side dish for lunch or dinner with rice and some curry.the vegetables can be chopped ,diced or grated.
Another option is that can add vegetables without boiling and fry sprinkling water and dry fry it with a generous àmout of coconut.
A bachelor’s receive from me.An easy breakfast or evening snack.Also lunch box special.
- Bread slices______6 to 8
- Green chillies _____2
- Capsicum__________1 or 2
- Red chilly powder___1/2 TSP
- Mustard seeds_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal____________1/2 TSP
- Turmeric powder____1/4tsp
- Lemon juice_________1/2 TSP
- Sambarpowder/garam masala powder1/2 to 3/4 TSP(optional)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste___1/2 TSp
Slice onions,cut tomatoes and capsicum.
If you are adding other vegetables cut it if adding potato par boil and add it.
1.First toast bread slices on a tawa and cut into pieces.
2.In a kadai put oil in it.
3.Add mustard seeds after it spluters add urad dhal.
4.First add sliced onions saute a little then add tomatoes when tomatoes are half done add capsicum.If you are adding other veggies add now.
5.Now add red chilly powder,ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and required salt and fry then add lemon juice.
6.When it is done finally add bread slices.
7Mix well add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can add ghee and csahews while giving for kids.
- Can add sambar powder instead of garam masala powder.
- Can skip both powders and do as regular upma.
Lunch box special, kids friendly, breakfast receive, evening snack receive,bachelor’s recipe.Indian cooking
Pala kottai poriyal is another traditional recipe .Simple and easy recipe with easily available ingredient.After eating the fruit the seeds can be used for cooking.we can use the seeds in sambar,cook it with other vegetable while preparing avial,roast it and can also be cooked with raw fruit
First remove seed from the fruit.Then from the seedremove the outer white skin from the seed.We can apply oil in our hands.Then cut the seeds I two..we can cook it separately or else can cook while cooking riceIf it is tender 2 or 3 whistles is enough or else few more whistles.
Mustard seeds____3/4 tsp
Urad dhal_________1/2 TSP
Chilly powder______1 to 2 TSP
Salt as required
Coconut scrapings___1 to 2 TBS.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal fry till it turns brown
- Add chopped onions and fry then add curry leaves.
- Now add chilli powder salt as needed.
- Fry a little add palakottai which are boiled
- When everything mixes well add coconut scrapings
Side dish for rice.how to cook palakottai,jackfruit seed stir fry.
Another lunch box recipe from me.This is South Indian style,simple and easy recipe.Mint is a good source of vitamins and iron.I have used coriander leaves too.
- Mint leaves___ 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Coriander leaves___1/2 cup
- Green cillies________2 or 3
- Red chillies_________2
- Garlic pods_________4 or 5pods
- Onions______ 2 or 3 or shallots few
- Ginger_______a small piece
- Coconut scrapings 1 TBS.(optional)
Cooked rice 1 cup
- Ghee or oil ___1 to 2 TBS.
- Bay leaf_______1
- Cashews ______a few
- Bengal gram dhal 1 TBS.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal______1 tsp
Juice of half lemon.
- In a kadai pour oil for frying.
- Now add red chillies,green chillies,garlic and onion fry for rew seconds. If you are adding coconut add now. Then add mint and coriander leaves and fry.
- When cool grind it into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Now in a kadai add ghee if for small children or oil.
- Put bay leaf and mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal then Bengal gram dhal and then cashews .
- Add sliced onions (optional).
- Now add the ground paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add salt and finally cooked rice.
- Mix well.
Serve with onion raitha.
Can add any vegetables like carrots or peas to enhance the nuritive value.
Another traditional recipe from my native place.This is famous in Tuticorin and Tirunelveli (South India).It is also called as Mapillai Sodhi as it is prepared on special occasions ,for guests also when giving feast for newly married couples.
Onions _______2 or Shallots few
Curry leaves a few
Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
Juice of lime 1
Beans,peas also can be added.
Also increase or decrease vegetables accdg to your family taste.
For grinding masala.
Ginger 2inches pieces ,_3 or 2
Garlic few pods
Fry these 3 ingredients and grind into a fine paste. Keep it aside.
1 St extract milk ___1 cup
2nd extract milk____2cup
3rd extract milk_____1cup
For thickening add powdered pottukadalai to the milk.Some add moong dhal for thickening the milk.
Method for extracting coconut milk
Coconut milk is extracted by processing grated coconut with some warm water.
Generally 1 cup of grated coconut yields 2 cups of coconut milk.
A simple way is grate1/2 coconut for 1 person.
1. In a blender take1 cup grated coconut with 3/4 cup warm water
2.Blend for few minutes.
3.Strain through a strainer.
4.we can squeeze with hand or press with a spoon.
5. This milk will be thick and creamy.
6.Again put in blender by adding 3/4/cup water and repeat the procedure again.
7. This milk will be thinner than the first one.
8.Again repeat the same with 1/2 cup water and extract.This milk will be pale and very thin.
1.Pour little oil in a kadai.Then add mustard seeds after it splutters addurad dhal when it turns brown then add curry leaves.
2.Now add onions and carrot.Fry a little when onion turns translucent add other vegetables saute for a minute.
3.Now add the third milk to the vegetable allow it to boil for few minutes add salt and grindedpaste to it.
4.After sometime add 2nd milkand cook.
5. When vegetables are done add the 1st milk..
Do not boil for a long time.
When it mixes well.switch off the stove.
6.Add lime juice and finely chopped coriander leaves.
Ginger_2 ” pieces 2
Coriander seeds2 TBS
Red chillies_____2 nos
Coconut scrapings,__ 3 TBS
Tamarind a small piece
Salt as required
Oil for frying.
Mustard seeds 1/4tsp
Urad dhal1/2 ts
In a kadai put oil and fry all ingredients except salt and tamarind.
2.Put in blender and grind as chutney adding little water.
3. Add seasoning finally
Tags how to make Thengapal sodhi side dish for rice,side for Appam and Idiyappam
Among kootu varieties this is one.This is simple and easy recipe common in SouthIndia.It is very nutritious too.Best for rice.
Coconut scrapings____3 tbs
Yellow moong dhal____1/3rd cup
Turmeric_____ 1/4 TSP
Mustard seeds___1/4 TSP
Urad dhal________1 TSP
Cumin seeds_____1/2 TSP
Garlic___3to4 pods anf
Salt as needed
1.Pressure cook the dhal with turmeric powder and keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add onions.Fry a little add tomato and fry for sometime add little water and cook for sometime.Add required amount of salt.
3.When it is cooked add cooked dhal to it.
4.Grind coconut,cumin seeds,green chillies and garlic pods into fine paste.Cook till raw smell goes.
Optional can use green tomato (unripe tomatoes) without onions.
Increase or decrease the quantity of tomatoes and onion according to individual taste.
Serve this with rice.
Among variety rice raw mango rice is one such.An easy to do recipe also lunch box special.As this is mango season I thought of posting this one.
Rice _____150 GM’s
Turmeric powder a pinch
Red Chillies_____3 to 4
Grated green mango _______11/2 cup
Curry leaves ____ a few
Salt as required.
Oil 3 tbs
1.In a kadai add oil to it add mustard seeds when it splutters add Bengal gram dhal,urad dhal.
2.Then add red chillies,curry leaves when it turns brown add peanuts
3.Finally add grated mango and turmeric powder
4.Mix well.Finally addcooked rice to it.
Optional can add fried cashews.
A variety rice which can be easily prepared. It’s kids friendly too.I have used only green bell pepper but can use different color Bell pepper too.
Rice ____2 cups
Star anise 1
Ginger garlic paste 1 tap
Garam Masala__1tsp or vegetable
Bay leaf 1
Coriander leaves a few
Oil or ghee
1To a wok add oil or I’d it is for kids add ghee.
2.Add star anise,cloves,bay leaf and fry it very well.
3. Add sliced onion and add capsicum after a little while.
4. Now add ginger garlic paste,masala powder and required amount of salt.
5.When it is mixed well add cooked rice toit.
6.Add chopped coriander leaves.
Can add roasted peanuts.
Also can add green peas or potato too
Serve with raitha and papad.