A very easy snack which is tasty.This can be made with either maida or wheat flour. This recipe is with maida.Spicy cuts when made with Maida is light in texture but when wheat is used it is dense.
- Maida………..11/2 cup
- Asafoetida….1/4 TSP
- Hot oil…..1 TBS
- Chilli powder…1/4 TSP or chillies 3 or 4 and garlic 4 pods grinded into paste.
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for frying.
- Mix flour,salt, asafoetida either chilli powder or chilli paste hot oil.
- Now add water to the mixture andmake it as a dough.
- Divide into 4 balls.
- Roll it into chappathi.
- With the help of a knife or cutter begin to cut vertically with 1″ apart straight lines and then cross ways. Now we get diamond shape cuts.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When hot add few cuts.
- Fry until golden and crispy.
- Fry in batches and store air tight containers after draining oil.
Van increase or decrease the chilli powder or number of chillies according to ones taste.
A simple side dish for tiffin as well as curd rice.This is very spicy and tasty.Easy to make recipe.This traditional recipe is made with fresh green chillies.This is also travel friendly.If we store in air tight containers it will be for 3 to 5 days.If refrigerated will stay for longer period.
- Green chillies……..50 gm
- Tamarind a small lemon size
- Gingelly oil …..4 to 5 tbs
- Turmeric powder…1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds……1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal….1/2 tsp
- Jaggery powdered……1 to 2 tbs
- Salt as required
- Chop green chillies.
- In a kadai pour gingelly oil and add seasonings to it .
- Then add chopped green chillies and fry it.
- Now add tamarind extract and allow it to boil after adding turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Now add salt.
- When it starts thickening add powdered jaggery.
- When it gets thickened like gravy remove it.
This will taste differently.
Goes well with idli dosa. Can serve with curd rice instead of pickle.Can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery according to the families taste.
Coriander is a phyto nutrient dense herb rich in geraniol, limonene,campho,elemol and many others,so it helps to control blood sugar cholestrol and free radical.
We have many chutney varieties, Cilantro or KOTHAMALLI chutney is one This is with coriander leaves.
Cilantro is very low in saturated fat and cholestrol and caloric value is nearly non existent. Good in dietary fiber,Vit.A,C,E,K,Calcium,iron, potassium and magnesium. Half cup of fresh cilantro provides 270 IU of vit.A and 16,% of the daily recommended Vit.K. Cilantro gives a fresh boost of flavour without the addition of sea salt or other seasonings.It is rich in phytonutrients,flavonoids andphenotic compounds.
The vit.K and calcium content of cilantro help to build strong bones and hair.It helps to loers anxiety and improves sleep.
- Coriander leaves……1cup
- Tamarind……. Little
- Black urad dhal or white…1tbs
- Red chillies…….4 to 5
- Salt as required
If frying u need oil,1/4tsp mustard seeds,1/2tsp urad dhal.
- Thoroughly wash the coriander leaves.
- Put oil in a kadai add urad dhal and red chillies and fry.
- After frying a little add coriander leaves which are chopped.
- Keep aside and allow till it cools.
- Now add salt and tamarind and grind.
- Add little water to it. At this stage you can use it like a dip . This will be a different taste.
- Another way is that keep kadai again pour little oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add the grinded chutney to it.The water content in it will be absorbed and it will begin to get thick.
Can eat with dosai also best for curd rice.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
- Rice..2 cups
- Carrot………1 or 2
- Green Chillies….4
- Big onion…2 to 3
- Coriander leaves..1 bunch
- Peas…1/2 cup
- Mint leaves…1bunch
- Potato ..1 large
- Turmeric…2 tsp
- Water..4cups or coconut milk
- Garlic…8 flakes
- Ginger…1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Bread few slices
Wash and drain rice.
Peel and cut carrots and potatoes in long,thin slices.
Slice onions and split green chillies
Grind ginger and garlic
Cut bread into small pieces and fry in ghee.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee then add cinnamon,cloves,cardomoms and cashews.
- Now add onions and green chillies till crisp.
- Add tomato pieces and ground masala fry till the oil separate s
- Add other vegetables fry slightly and now add water or coconut milk.
- When it begins to boil add mint leaves,coriander leaves,turmeric powder ,salt and finally rice.
- Close the cooker with it’s lid
- Put weight and cook for 10 mts on slow fire or keep for one whistle
- Remove from the stove and allow the pressure to subside.
- Remove weight open the lid and add bread and lime juice and mix well.
If you want more spicy can add chilly powder also can add ready-made briyani masala.
This is a flavourful Indian rice dish.
Serve with raitha and papad.
Raw banana is a good source of protein and vitamins. It is. Low in sodium and calories.
- 2tbs——-coriander seeds
- 2tbs——–channa dhal
- 2 or3——-red chillies
- Raw banana—–250gms or 3 o 4
- 1/2 tsp———–turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbs——-oil
- 1 pinch——–asafoetida
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp——-mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp——urad dhal
- Peel and slice the raw banana after washing it.
- Slice them in thin rounds and put it in water so that it doesn’t turn dark.
- In a frying pan put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add sliced raw banana to it.
- Now add turmeric powder,add powder and salt to it.
Fry till it becomes crispy.
Optional:If u want a simplified instead of preparing powder can use red chilly powder.
The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean.It is named for it’s visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as molybdenum, folate,iron, copper,maganese, potassium,vit.K and phosphorus.It is high in protein and fibre.
I would like to share my experience of cooking this curry for the first time.It was some 26 yrs back my husband s friend who came from North India shared this curry for lunch with him and my husband wanted me to try this.My husband’s friend’s wife taught me this.The next day itself I tried this curry. It came out very well.And After she tasted it told me that it tastes good. So started preparing this curry.
Lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.It controls blood sugar also helps in weight loss too.Best for diabetes patients.
- Rajma——-200 gms
- Chilly powder—1 to 2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste—1/2to1tsp
- Onion chopped—1/2 cup
- 🍅 tomatoes chopped—1/2 cup
- Coriander powder—-1
- Masalapowder –1 tbs(optional)
- Salt as required.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight that is up to 8 to 10hrs.
- Keep cooker or pressure pan on stove and pour oil in it.Add onions till it turns brown.Then add chopped tomatoes to it Till it turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder,chilly powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add soaked rajma to it.Finally add salt.
- Close the cooker after adding required amount of water.Allow it for 5 to 6 whistles some beans may require two more.
- When it gets cooled open and add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Another method is to cook rajma separately and then add to the other ingredients after adding tomatoes.Check that the beans are cooked and are soft.
Here you can add onion paste with tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
Can be served with naan,roti, chappathi or plain rice.
Water should be added in equal quantity of rajma beans.
Pumpkin is a vegetable which is highly nutrient dense food.Pumpkin color may be from deep yellow to orange coloration.It is a traditional part of thanksgiving meals inCanada and U.S.and they carve Jack _O_Lantern for decoration around 🎃 Halloween.
Pumpkin is suitable for all ages.It is rich in Vitamins and minerals low in calories.The fiber,potassium and vit. C supports it.Some say that the potassium obtIned in pumpkin has a positive effect in blood pressure.There are lot of antioxidants in it.It is a good source of beta carotene and rich in fibre too.
- Pumpkin_1to2 cups peeled,predetermined and cubed.
- Coconut scrapings -4 tbs
- Cumin seeds_1/2 tsp
- Garlic_2 pods
- Oil_1 tbs
- Mustard seeds_1/4tsp
- Urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Red chillies/Green chillies_2 or accept. to taste.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed.
1.Grind coconut scraping,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic pods coarsely and keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds to it aftet it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves
3.Fry curry leaves a little and Then add pumpkin pieces to it.Fry a little and then add water to cook it.
4.When half done add salt to it.
5.when almost done add the coconut paste to it.
6. Mix well and cook till everything gets binded.
Can add 1 to 2 tbs.jaggery and instead of grinding chillies can powder pepper coarsely and add to it.
This will be slightly sweeter version of curry.
Serve with rice
I thought of posting a sweet recipe for two reasons.One this is my 100 th post and then for my second anniversary with WordPress. Very happy that two years have passed since I started blogging in this plat form.First and foremost I thank WordPress for its support .Next my family ,my friends and my relatives for their encouragement.And above all my followers who have given their support .
Payasam is a common South Indian desert.we prepare even for simple occasions like birthdays too.Among all varieties semiya payasam is the easiest one to prepare.
- Milkmaid__1/2 tin
- Ghee_1 to 2 tbs
- Cardomom3 pods
1. Heat ghee in a pan.Fry raisins and cashews and keep aside.
2In the remaining ghee fry vermicelli if the semiya is not fried.
3.After frying a little add boiled milk and allow it to cook.
4.When cooked add sugar if u are going to add sugar otherwise add milkmaid now
5.when it blends well and powdered cardamom and fried cashews and raisins to it.
It may get thickened after sometime so add milk before serving.
This can be served both hot or chill.