Coriander is a phyto nutrient dense herb rich in geraniol, limonene,campho,elemol and many others,so it helps to control blood sugar cholestrol and free radical.
We have many chutney varieties, Cilantro or KOTHAMALLI chutney is one This is with coriander leaves.
Cilantro is very low in saturated fat and cholestrol and caloric value is nearly non existent. Good in dietary fiber,Vit.A,C,E,K,Calcium,iron, potassium and magnesium. Half cup of fresh cilantro provides 270 IU of vit.A and 16,% of the daily recommended Vit.K. Cilantro gives a fresh boost of flavour without the addition of sea salt or other seasonings.It is rich in phytonutrients,flavonoids andphenotic compounds.
The vit.K and calcium content of cilantro help to build strong bones and hair.It helps to loers anxiety and improves sleep.
- Coriander leaves……1cup
- Tamarind……. Little
- Black urad dhal or white…1tbs
- Red chillies…….4 to 5
- Salt as required
If frying u need oil,1/4tsp mustard seeds,1/2tsp urad dhal.
- Thoroughly wash the coriander leaves.
- Put oil in a kadai add urad dhal and red chillies and fry.
- After frying a little add coriander leaves which are chopped.
- Keep aside and allow till it cools.
- Now add salt and tamarind and grind.
- Add little water to it. At this stage you can use it like a dip . This will be a different taste.
- Another way is that keep kadai again pour little oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add the grinded chutney to it.The water content in it will be absorbed and it will begin to get thick.
Can eat with dosai also best for curd rice.
The mung bean alternatively known as the green gram is a plant species in the legume family.
These beans are the best plant based source of protein. This has high levels of globulin and albumin. They are rich in essential amino acids such as Phenylalanine, Arginine,Lysine, Tryptophan,Methonine, Valine,Leucine and Isoleucine.
Mung beans easiest to digest among all beans.It boosts immunity. It is low in calories,low in fat,low in sodium.It contain good to high levels of several B complex vitamins and someA, C,E and K.
Have good to excellent levels of several minerals among them potassium,iron,manganese,calcium and magnesium.
An excellent way to enhance the nutritive values of this dal is to sprout them.
- Green gram dhal….100gms
- Garlic few pods.
- Oil ..1 to 2 tbs.
- Coriander leaves….few
- Turmeric powder..1 tsp
- Mustard seeds…..1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal…1/2 tsp.
- Ginger grated….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
Optional I have added a powder which I have prepared.Dry roast coriander seeds,red gram dhal and chillies. You can add sambar powder if you want.
- Fry green gram for few minutes and soak it for atleast three hours.
- Now in a pressure pan add turmeric powder, tomatoes,garlic and onion. Cook for three to four Whistles.
- When cooked mash it with wooden spatula or any other spoons.
- In a kadai pour oil.add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies.Add grated ginger
- Then add sliced onions,curry leaves to it.Fry a little.
- Add to the curry.
- Allow it to boil after adding salt and that powder.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Another option can add coconut paste that is grind 1/4 cup coconut in a mixer and add it.
Suppose if you cannot prepare the powder which I have mentioned can add 1 tsp coriander powder and1 tsp chilly powder depending upon your taste.
You can serve this curry for rice,chappathi,roti,appam and puttu.
- Rice..2 cups
- Carrot………1 or 2
- Green Chillies….4
- Big onion…2 to 3
- Coriander leaves..1 bunch
- Peas…1/2 cup
- Mint leaves…1bunch
- Potato ..1 large
- Turmeric…2 tsp
- Water..4cups or coconut milk
- Garlic…8 flakes
- Ginger…1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Bread few slices
Wash and drain rice.
Peel and cut carrots and potatoes in long,thin slices.
Slice onions and split green chillies
Grind ginger and garlic
Cut bread into small pieces and fry in ghee.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee then add cinnamon,cloves,cardomoms and cashews.
- Now add onions and green chillies till crisp.
- Add tomato pieces and ground masala fry till the oil separate s
- Add other vegetables fry slightly and now add water or coconut milk.
- When it begins to boil add mint leaves,coriander leaves,turmeric powder ,salt and finally rice.
- Close the cooker with it’s lid
- Put weight and cook for 10 mts on slow fire or keep for one whistle
- Remove from the stove and allow the pressure to subside.
- Remove weight open the lid and add bread and lime juice and mix well.
If you want more spicy can add chilly powder also can add ready-made briyani masala.
This is a flavourful Indian rice dish.
Serve with raitha and papad.
Raw banana is a good source of protein and vitamins. It is. Low in sodium and calories.
- 2tbs——-coriander seeds
- 2tbs——–channa dhal
- 2 or3——-red chillies
- Raw banana—–250gms or 3 o 4
- 1/2 tsp———–turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 tbs——-oil
- 1 pinch——–asafoetida
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp——-mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp——urad dhal
- Peel and slice the raw banana after washing it.
- Slice them in thin rounds and put it in water so that it doesn’t turn dark.
- In a frying pan put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add sliced raw banana to it.
- Now add turmeric powder,add powder and salt to it.
Fry till it becomes crispy.
Optional:If u want a simplified instead of preparing powder can use red chilly powder.
The kidney bean is a variety of the common bean.It is named for it’s visual resemblance in shape and color to a kidney.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as molybdenum, folate,iron, copper,maganese, potassium,vit.K and phosphorus.It is high in protein and fibre.
I would like to share my experience of cooking this curry for the first time.It was some 26 yrs back my husband s friend who came from North India shared this curry for lunch with him and my husband wanted me to try this.My husband’s friend’s wife taught me this.The next day itself I tried this curry. It came out very well.And After she tasted it told me that it tastes good. So started preparing this curry.
Lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease risk.It controls blood sugar also helps in weight loss too.Best for diabetes patients.
- Rajma——-200 gms
- Chilly powder—1 to 2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste—1/2to1tsp
- Onion chopped—1/2 cup
- 🍅 tomatoes chopped—1/2 cup
- Coriander powder—-1
- Masalapowder –1 tbs(optional)
- Salt as required.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight that is up to 8 to 10hrs.
- Keep cooker or pressure pan on stove and pour oil in it.Add onions till it turns brown.Then add chopped tomatoes to it Till it turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, cumin powder,chilly powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add soaked rajma to it.Finally add salt.
- Close the cooker after adding required amount of water.Allow it for 5 to 6 whistles some beans may require two more.
- When it gets cooled open and add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Another method is to cook rajma separately and then add to the other ingredients after adding tomatoes.Check that the beans are cooked and are soft.
Here you can add onion paste with tomato puree instead of tomatoes.
Can be served with naan,roti, chappathi or plain rice.
Water should be added in equal quantity of rajma beans.
Pumpkin is a vegetable which is highly nutrient dense food.Pumpkin color may be from deep yellow to orange coloration.It is a traditional part of thanksgiving meals inCanada and U.S.and they carve Jack _O_Lantern for decoration around 🎃 Halloween.
Pumpkin is suitable for all ages.It is rich in Vitamins and minerals low in calories.The fiber,potassium and vit. C supports it.Some say that the potassium obtIned in pumpkin has a positive effect in blood pressure.There are lot of antioxidants in it.It is a good source of beta carotene and rich in fibre too.
- Pumpkin_1to2 cups peeled,predetermined and cubed.
- Coconut scrapings -4 tbs
- Cumin seeds_1/2 tsp
- Garlic_2 pods
- Oil_1 tbs
- Mustard seeds_1/4tsp
- Urad dhal_1/2 tsp
- Red chillies/Green chillies_2 or accept. to taste.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed.
1.Grind coconut scraping,cumin seeds,red chillies and garlic pods coarsely and keep aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds to it aftet it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add curry leaves
3.Fry curry leaves a little and Then add pumpkin pieces to it.Fry a little and then add water to cook it.
4.When half done add salt to it.
5.when almost done add the coconut paste to it.
6. Mix well and cook till everything gets binded.
Can add 1 to 2 tbs.jaggery and instead of grinding chillies can powder pepper coarsely and add to it.
This will be slightly sweeter version of curry.
Serve with rice
I thought of posting a sweet recipe for two reasons.One this is my 100 th post and then for my second anniversary with WordPress. Very happy that two years have passed since I started blogging in this plat form.First and foremost I thank WordPress for its support .Next my family ,my friends and my relatives for their encouragement.And above all my followers who have given their support .
Payasam is a common South Indian desert.we prepare even for simple occasions like birthdays too.Among all varieties semiya payasam is the easiest one to prepare.
- Milkmaid__1/2 tin
- Ghee_1 to 2 tbs
- Cardomom3 pods
1. Heat ghee in a pan.Fry raisins and cashews and keep aside.
2In the remaining ghee fry vermicelli if the semiya is not fried.
3.After frying a little add boiled milk and allow it to cook.
4.When cooked add sugar if u are going to add sugar otherwise add milkmaid now
5.when it blends well and powdered cardamom and fried cashews and raisins to it.
It may get thickened after sometime so add milk before serving.
This can be served both hot or chill.
Among the side dishes for Chappathi green peas curry is one among them.Its healthy as well as easy to prepare it.This curry is without adding coconut.I have used dried ones so can prepare even during non season.
- Green peas ___200gms
- Onion_ 2
- Chilli powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder_2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste_1tsp
- Salt as required
- Cinnamon_1inch piece
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves chopped 1tsp
Soak dried green peas overnight.
- In a pressure pan add 1 to 2 tbs.oil
- To it add cloves,cardamom,cinnamon
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Fry a little.
- Add chopped onions to it fry for sometime then add tomatoes to it and cook till mushy.
- Now add soaked green peas,chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,salt and enough water to cook the green peas.
- Mix well and keep for 2 whistles.
- While serving add chopped coriander leaves.
Can serve with Chappathi,Roti or Appam.
Gopi masala dosai or cauliflower masala dosai is another dosa variety from my cuisine.This is an all time favourite for my family members.Can easily prepare this curry.If curry is left over can use it for rotis or Chappathi as a side dish.Two steps are involved one is preparing the curry and second is stuffing the curry in the dosa.
Dosa batter as required.
- Cauliflower finely chopped and cooked 1cup
- Onion_1 finely chopped
- Tomato_1 chopped
- Green chillies_2chopped or can use chilly powder instead.
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal 1tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Ginger garlic paste_1tsp
- Coriander powder _1tsp
- Vegetable masala powder 1tsp/ or Sambhar powder 1 tsp.
- Salt as needed.
- Oil for frying as well as for dosa
- Cashew nut paste or coconut paste 1to 2 tbs.
If you are going to add cashew paste soak in hot water and grind it into paste. and keep aside.
Chop cauliflower boil and keep aside.
- In a wok put oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and fry.
- Now add onions ,green chillies curry leaves and saute it.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it and fry till it becomes mushy.
- At this stage add turmeric powder,if you are going to add chilli powder vegetable masala powder,coriander powder and salt add now,mix well
- After mixing add cooked cauliflower allow the masala to blend well
- Add cashew paste or coconut paste.
- Add coconut paste or cashew paste to get it thickened.Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
To prepare the Dosa.
- Keep Dosa tawa and put one laddle of dough on itSpread into a round shapes one.
- Drizzle oil or ghee on it .
- When it is cooked and crispy keep a spoonful of masala in one side of the dosa cover with lid for few seconds.Then cover it with the other half.After few seconds remove from fire.
Serve hot with chutney and Sambhar.