- Ridge guord skin can be used to grind chutney.This chutney goes well with idli,does.Also can be eaten with rice with a dash of oil.It is a healthy vegetable with less calories and lot of nutrients.
- If it is not organic soak the peel for little while in water.
- Ridge gourd skin peel _____1/2 cup
- Onion big______________2 or shallots
- Coconut scraping_1/4 cup
- Green chillies_4 chillies
- Tamarind a small piece
- Oil ,____2 or3 tbs
- Salt as needed.
- Heat a frying pan and add oil.
- Add a piece of tamarind sauce add sliced shallots or onion when brownies coconut scrapping.Finally add peels to it.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add salt and grind it .If needed add water and grind
Once the required consistency comes transfer to a bowl.
Can use 4 garlic pods. If so add with onions.
1.Sprinkle burnt pots liberally with baking soda add enough water to moisten.let it remain so for several hours.Then it can be easily removed.
2.Stubborn stain on nonstick cookware by boiling 2 tsp of baking soda 1/2cup vinegar and 1 cup water for 10 Mts.and then clean it.
3.To remove coffee and tea stains from chinaware rub with a damp cloth dipped in baking soda.
4.When one glass tumbler is stuck inside another do not force them apart.fill the top with cold water and dip the lower one in hot water.They will come apart without breaking.
5.To get rid plastic containers of foul odours place a crumbled up newspapers black and white only.cover tightly and leave overnight.
Another single variety rice .Cauliflower is a very good source of vitamin.C and manganese.It is low in fat,high in fiber and have antioxidant and inflammatory properties.
First we have to get the cauliflower ready for the rice.in this we prepare a batter to fry the florets.
Ingredients for batter
- All purpose flour/Maida ____1/2 cup
- Corn flour ______1/2 cup
- Chilli powder___1 tbs
- Food color(optional)
- Garam masala__1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil for frying the florets.
Cut cauliflower into florets.Put in hot water with salt to clean it.Now dip the florets in batter and then fry it.Keep aside.
- Rice ___3 cups
- Green chillies ___2 or 3
- Carrot chopped__1 cup
- Cabbage chopped_2cups
- Chilli powder___2 tsp
- Pepper powder_2tsp
- Garam masala_1 tbs
- Tomato sauce___3tbs
- Chilli sauce__1 or 2tsp
- Soya sauce__1 tbs
- Salt as needed
- Oil 4 tbs
- In a kadai put oil.
- Add green chillies slit to it
- Add chopped carrots to it and fry a little
- Now add chopped cabbage to it
- To this add fried cauliflower,then chilli powder,pepper powder,all sauces and required salt
- Finally add cooked rice to it.
Serve with raitha and papas.
Podi idli is a recipe which can be prepared quickly.All you need is idli and idli podi.This is a lunch box special too.Left over idlis can be cut into pieces and we can prepare in this way.
- Idlis podi mixed with oil
- Curry leaves
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- uraddhal 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped 1 tbs
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Make small idlis or cut big idlis into small pieces.
- Mix podi with oil and coat the idlis with it.
- In a pan put 3 tbs oil add mustard seeds to it. When it splitters add urad dhal then add curry leaves.
- When fried add idlis to it.
- Fry a little.
- Sprinle little salt and sugar to it.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Serve hot.some like to have with chutney or Sambhar too.
We have number of side dishes for dosa and idli.One such side dish is peanut chutney which is very healthy one.It is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin B.
- Peanuts ____1/2 cup
- Tomatoes___2 chopped
- Red chillies __2
- Green chillies __1
- Tamarind_a small piece
- Salt as required
- Oil for 2 tbs
- Oil 1 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tspt
- Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves few.
- Pour oil in a kadai .Add green chilly and red chillies fry a little.
- Next add 🍅 tomatoes to it and fry till it becomes mushy.
- Add peanuts to it.
- Fry a little then add tamarind and required salt.
- When cool first grind without water,then add water and grind well.
- First pour oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add head dhal.
- Fry and then add curry leaves.
Add the seasoning to the chutney.
I came to know about Sharja after I settled in Trivandrum.This became popular from early nineties.Banana milk shake available in Kerala bakeries and juice shops.Its very filling.Also kids will like this very much.Best for summer.
- Milk frozen ______1 milk packet(500 ml)
- Bananas _5 Now(small ones)
- Instant coffee powder_1/2 to 1 tsp
- Salted peanuts_2 to 3 tbs
- Sugar _2 to 3 tsp
- Mash frozen milk
- To one half of the milk add peeled and cut bananas and peanuts and blend a little
- Then add sugar,boost and pulse well.
- Pour in a glass serve with crushed nuts.
- Can a scoop of ice cream while serving.
Can add chocolate powder with chocolate chips for chocolate sharja.
Vangi Bhath is a South Indian dish.In a simple way we call it brinjal rice.A single rice recipe and also tiffinbox recipe too.The powder is the key ingredient for this rice.can store the powder in fridge for up to 10 days and use it when needed.
Rice 2 bowls cookedBrinjal 1 cup cut lengthwise
- Red chillies 4 or 5
- Coriander seeds 2 tbs
- Channa dhal 2tbs
- Urad dhal 2tbs
- Pepper1 tsp
- Cinnamon a small piece
- khus khus 1tsp
- Grated Dry coconut2tbs(optional)
- Oil for seasoning
- Mustardseeds1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Dry roast the ingredients separately and powder it.
- Take a pan put little oil .
- Put mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal fry a little add curry leaves.
- Now add cut brinjals to it.fry .when almost done add the powder and required salt.
- When it mixes well add cooked rice to it.
Serve with raitha or papads
Bread halwa can be easily prepared when compared with other types of halwa.This recipe can convert a boring food a bread into an interesting sweet.
- Bread__6 slices
- Milk__2 cups
- Cashews__1/4 cups
- Sugar__1/2 to 3/4 cups
- Ghee ___1/2 cup
- Remove edges from the sides of the bread and cut into small pieces.(some use the brown edges too)
- Pour ghee in a kadai and first fry cashews in it.keep aside few for garnishing and the rest powder it
- In the remaining ghee add bread pieces and fry
- When it is fried add milk to it.Allow it to cook.
- Then add the powdered cashews and sugar to the mixture.
- When it leaves the sides of the pan add fried cashews and then remove it.
Never reduce the quantity of ghee otherwise it will be sticky.
Can add badam also instead of cashews.
Another easy recipe from me.This can be prepared with freshly made idlis or from left over ones.This is a kids friendly recipeThis is a Tiffin recipe for lunch or evening snack.
- Small idly or bigger ones cut into pieces.
- Oil for frying
- Onion_____2or 3
- Tomato___1 or 2
- Garlic_____few pods
- Ginger____14 tsp.grated
- Or can use ginger garlic paste
- Chilly sauce___1/2 tsp
- Tomato sauce_1/2 tsp
- Soya sauce_1/2 tsp
- Sugar _____1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Idli_ __ 5 nos cut into pieces or small idlis a bowl.Fry idols either by shallow fry method or deep fry and keep aside
- Heat oil in a kadai first add onions after frying a little add capsicum,tomatoes and green chilly
- Now add ginger and garlic or ginger and garlic paste.
- After frying a little add tomato sauce,chilli sauce,soya sauce,sugar.
- Sprinkle little water after adding salt to it.
- When the masala is mixed well add fried idlis to it.
- See that the masala blends well with the idly
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Serve with raitha or Sambhar and chutney
- When you fry dont fry too brown It should be crisp outside and soft inside.
- Can add red chilli powder or pepper powder reducing ginger garlic paste.
- When frying if it sticks refrigerate idlis for some time.
- If packing for kids avoid green chilly and can reduce ginger garlic paste.
1.Rasam should not boil too much.
2.We should not cover the greens while cooking(keerai)
3.Dont store potatoes and bananas in fridge
4.Don’t eat cabbage and cauliflower if there is thyroid problem.
5.Don’t fry onions and tomatoes together first fry onions then add tomatoes.
EASY TIPS WHILE COOKING
1.While adding salt to pickle fry and add it keeps pickle fresher for longer time.
2.For preparing onion bajjis instead of peeling and cutting you cut and then peel.
3.Suppose if after preparing ready made jamun are hard you remove from syrup steam them and then put in jeera syrup
4.Breaking jaggery will be easier if kept in cloth and broken.
5. After melting ghee pour little water in that vessel and boil it.add this water while preparing Rasam or Sambhar it will enhance the taste.
6. If you have forgotten to soak dhal for sundal fry a little and then pour boiling water it will soak quickly.