An evening time snack. An easy preparation. Since this is by steaming it is healthier.
- Fine rice flour…1cup
- Oil.. ……………..1tbs to 2tbs
- Urad dhal…..1tsp
- Red chillies…2 or3
- Curry leaves…a few
- Grated coconut….1/4 cup
- Onion……….1 finely chopped.
- Put 1 tbs oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when the splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion s and fry
- Add this mixture to the rice flour.
- Now add the coconut scrapings to the flour.
- Allow water to boil and add salt and oil to it.
- Using a kitchen ladle slowly add the boiling water in the rice flour.
- Mix well without forming lumps.
- Knead the dough till it becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now cook the KOZHUKATTAI balls by steaming method.
You can avoid chopped onions if you don’t prefer. I prefer this because it enhances the taste.
Among dosai varieties rawa dosai is one.This is common in South India.We have it either for breakfast or for dinner.Each have different combinations the following is mine.
- Roasted rawa……1 cup
- Rice flour………….1 cup
- Chopped onions.1/4 cup
- Green chillies……2
- Grated ginger….1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves..a few
- Coriander leaves..chopped 1 or 2 tbs.
- Cumin seeds…..1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds..1/4 tsp
- Split urad dhal…1/2 tsp
- Coconut cut into small bits
- Salt to taste.
- Put oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add split urad dhal when it turns brown.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Now add curry leaves,chopped onion and green chillies.when it turns brown add to batter.
- Mix maida,rice flour and rawa with salt now add 2 to 2.5 cup water it should be watery.
- Now add the fried items chopped coconut,coriander leaves and mix well.
- Heat dosa tawa.
- Pour ladle of batter from edges to centre
- Spread oil all over the dosa
- It takes time
- Add more rice flour and maida if it is sticky.
- If going to add cashews can put in the tawa and then pour the batter.
- For a variation can add grated 🥕.
I have added green chillies can add pepper instead of it
Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
Among tiffin items sambar idli is the one which can be prepared either ordinary ones or with mini idlis.Idlis is a soft spongy cake like tiffin tem made from rice and lentil batter.In most SouthIndian homes they prepare this almost daily.It is cooked by steaming so suitable for all ages.It is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder Today I’m going to give a variety using idli.Same way there are many varieties of sambar. For this I’m sharing moong dhal sambar or it may be called tiffin sambar.
- Rice ….4 cups
- Round urad dhal….1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds….1 TSP
- Salt as required.
Soak rice and dhal four to six hours.
The batter is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder.
- Procedure for batter
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it.Add enough water.Check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.Approximately it will need 20 to25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft ,fluffy and flow.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder add rice to it then add water to it.Grind the rice into smooth paste.It will take 35 to 40 mts.
- Now add the rice batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.Store in a large container in a big container.
- Keep aside for fermenting .It should be kept for 8 to 10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic conditions.Weather is very important as insummerit will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added for grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in the refrigerator in the evening. If we grind in the evening can keep it in the morning..
- Now the process of making idli.
- Grease the idli stand with oil,then take a spoon of batter and pour in the moulds. Steam in idli pot.
- This may take upto 12 to 15mts.
MOONG DHAL SAMBAR
- Moong dhal…..1/2 to 1 cup
- Green chillies….2
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves …Few
- Oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tbs.
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Garlic….1 pod
- Asafoetida…1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pressure pan.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add chopped onions.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and finally add tomatoes and fry.
- Add cooked and mashed dhal,water little sambar powder and required salt.
- Close the pan and leave it for 1 whistle.
- After opening add chopped coriander leaves.
Instead of adding cooked dhal can add raw dhal following the same steps but leave it for 2 whistles.But for me I like the taste when we add cooked dhal. There is difference in taste.
- Take a bowl keep few cooked idlis in it.Then pour sambar over it.Add a dash of ghee on it. This adds the taste for the idli.
Podi idli is a recipe which can be prepared quickly.All you need is idli and idli podi.This is a lunch box special too.Left over idlis can be cut into pieces and we can prepare in this way.
- Idlis podi mixed with oil
- Curry leaves
- Oil 3 to 4 tbs
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- uraddhal 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped 1 tbs
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Make small idlis or cut big idlis into small pieces.
- Mix podi with oil and coat the idlis with it.
- In a pan put 3 tbs oil add mustard seeds to it. When it splitters add urad dhal then add curry leaves.
- When fried add idlis to it.
- Fry a little.
- Sprinle little salt and sugar to it.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Serve hot.some like to have with chutney or Sambhar too.