For this coconut rice using brown rice. Brown riceis a whole grain rice with the inedible outer_hull removed.This has lower carbohydrates and helps in overall digestion. Has zero cholesterol. It is considered much healthier than white. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories,high in fiber in fiber,gluten free. This is low glycemic index food.
It is rich B.Vit.,folate,iron, magnesium,selenium and calcium.
Method of cooking:
- Wash the rice thoroughly
- Cook with 2 parts of water.
- Cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Keep the rice aside when pressure releases.
Now making of coconut rice:
- Brown rice cooked……1 cup
- Coconut scrapings…1/2 cup
- Coconut oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Mustard seeds….1/4TSP
- Urad dhal….. 1/2 TSP
- Onion chopped or cut length wise….2 TBS
- Green chillies..2 nos.
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as needed
- Keep a kadai and put oil
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add onions and green chillies and fry a little add curry leaves.
- Now add coconut scrapings just fry a little.
- Add salt.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.