Among tiffin items sambar idli is the one which can be prepared either ordinary ones or with mini idlis.Idlis is a soft spongy cake like tiffin tem made from rice and lentil batter.In most SouthIndian homes they prepare this almost daily.It is cooked by steaming so suitable for all ages.It is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder Today I’m going to give a variety using idli.Same way there are many varieties of sambar. For this I’m sharing moong dhal sambar or it may be called tiffin sambar.
- Rice ….4 cups
- Round urad dhal….1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds….1 TSP
- Salt as required.
Soak rice and dhal four to six hours.
The batter is done in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder.
- Procedure for batter
- First clean the grinder and add dhal to it and grind it.Add enough water.Check in between while grinding and sprinkle water as and when needed.Approximately it will need 20 to25 mts for grinding.The batter should be soft ,fluffy and flow.Remove it and keep it in a big container.
- Now without cleaning the grinder add rice to it then add water to it.Grind the rice into smooth paste.It will take 35 to 40 mts.
- Now add the rice batter to the dhal batter add required amount of salt and mix well.Store in a large container in a big container.
- Keep aside for fermenting .It should be kept for 8 to 10 hrs.The fermenting time depends on the temperature and climatic conditions.Weather is very important as insummerit will ferment quickly and in winter it will take longer time.
- Fenugreek seeds can be added for grinding dhal.
- If we grind in the morning can store in the refrigerator in the evening. If we grind in the evening can keep it in the morning..
- Now the process of making idli.
- Grease the idli stand with oil,then take a spoon of batter and pour in the moulds. Steam in idli pot.
- This may take upto 12 to 15mts.
MOONG DHAL SAMBAR
- Moong dhal…..1/2 to 1 cup
- Green chillies….2
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves …Few
- Oil………1 to 2 TBS
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 1 tbs.
- Turmeric powder….1/4 tsp
- Garlic….1 pod
- Asafoetida…1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pressure pan.
- Add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal when it turns brown add chopped onions.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and finally add tomatoes and fry.
- Add cooked and mashed dhal,water little sambar powder and required salt.
- Close the pan and leave it for 1 whistle.
- After opening add chopped coriander leaves.
Instead of adding cooked dhal can add raw dhal following the same steps but leave it for 2 whistles.But for me I like the taste when we add cooked dhal. There is difference in taste.
- Take a bowl keep few cooked idlis in it.Then pour sambar over it.Add a dash of ghee on it. This adds the taste for the idli.