A bachelor’s receive from me.An easy breakfast or evening snack.Also lunch box special.
- Bread slices______6 to 8
- Green chillies _____2
- Capsicum__________1 or 2
- Red chilly powder___1/2 TSP
- Mustard seeds_______1/4 TSP
- Urad dhal____________1/2 TSP
- Turmeric powder____1/4tsp
- Lemon juice_________1/2 TSP
- Sambarpowder/garam masala powder1/2 to 3/4 TSP(optional)
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste___1/2 TSp
Slice onions,cut tomatoes and capsicum.
If you are adding other vegetables cut it if adding potato par boil and add it.
1.First toast bread slices on a tawa and cut into pieces.
2.In a kadai put oil in it.
3.Add mustard seeds after it spluters add urad dhal.
4.First add sliced onions saute a little then add tomatoes when tomatoes are half done add capsicum.If you are adding other veggies add now.
5.Now add red chilly powder,ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and required salt and fry then add lemon juice.
6.When it is done finally add bread slices.
7Mix well add chopped coriander leaves.
- Can add ghee and csahews while giving for kids.
- Can add sambar powder instead of garam masala powder.
- Can skip both powders and do as regular upma.
Lunch box special, kids friendly, breakfast receive, evening snack receive,bachelor’s recipe.Indian cooking
Another lunch box recipe from me.This is South Indian style,simple and easy recipe.Mint is a good source of vitamins and iron.I have used coriander leaves too.
- Mint leaves___ 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Coriander leaves___1/2 cup
- Green cillies________2 or 3
- Red chillies_________2
- Garlic pods_________4 or 5pods
- Onions______ 2 or 3 or shallots few
- Ginger_______a small piece
- Coconut scrapings 1 TBS.(optional)
Cooked rice 1 cup
- Ghee or oil ___1 to 2 TBS.
- Bay leaf_______1
- Cashews ______a few
- Bengal gram dhal 1 TBS.
- Mustard seeds 1/2 TSP
- Urad dhal______1 tsp
Juice of half lemon.
- In a kadai pour oil for frying.
- Now add red chillies,green chillies,garlic and onion fry for rew seconds. If you are adding coconut add now. Then add mint and coriander leaves and fry.
- When cool grind it into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Now in a kadai add ghee if for small children or oil.
- Put bay leaf and mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal then Bengal gram dhal and then cashews .
- Add sliced onions (optional).
- Now add the ground paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add salt and finally cooked rice.
- Mix well.
Serve with onion raitha.
Can add any vegetables like carrots or peas to enhance the nuritive value.
Potato fry is a common recipie.But today I thought of sharing with you all a very traditional recipie which I learnt from my mother. Simple and easy one.
Potato cut into pieces :1 t0 2 cups
Coconut scrapings: 3 to 4 Tbs
Green chillies:2 or 3 accdg to taste
Mustard seeds :urad dhal for seasoning
cumin seeds :1/2 tsp
garlic:2 to 3 pods
Curry leaves a few
Salt as desired
oil :1 tbs
- Cook and Peel potatoes then cut into cubes.
- Boil peas seperately.
- Grind coconut scrapings, cumin seeds ,green chillies and garlic pod into a fine paste.
- In a kadai put oil add mustard seeds urad dhal then curry leaves.
- Add potatoes and peas with required salt and little water.
- Then add the grinded masala to it.
- when it gets thickened remove from fire.
Side dish for rice.
We have a number of variety rice carrot rice is an easy one.We can say that it is lunch box special.It is kids special.
We can prepare in two ways.One is the pressure cooker method thepther one with the left over rice.
- Rice: 1 cup
- Onion-1 or 2 sliced
- carrot:3/4 cup cut in small pieces
- Coriander leaves 1tbs
- Bay leaf:1
- cardomom a few
- Vegetable masala powder:1 or 2 tsp
- salt to taste
- mint leaves few
- Oil or ghee
- Coconut:1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves:1 tbs
- Ginger: a small piece
- Garlic 3 or 4 pods
- Green chilly:1
Wash and keep rice aside
- Keep cooker in stove.Add oil or ghee.
- put bay leaf when it gets heated.
- add cardomom to it.
- Add coriander and mint leaves to it
- Add sliced onions and saute it.
- Now add cut carrot pieces to it
- Then add the ground paste to it and mix well.
- Add vegetable masala powder to it.
- Now add the washed rice to it and fry for few seconds.
- Now add water to it after adding salt to it.
- Close the lid and keep for 2 whistles
Serve with papad and raitha.
1.I have used Sonam masoori rice steam which I use daily for cooking.I used 2 cups of water and kept till 2 whistles.
2.Can use basmati rice but use water accordingly
3.If it is prepared with left over rice same steps from 1 to 8 steps have to be followedcan use grated carrot or if cut pieces boil and add before adding cooked rice.
4.For a variation can add sambar powder instead of vegetable masala.
5.If for kids can fry nuts and add to it.