Payasam is a desert liked by most people.Different ingredients are used for different payasam. Here the main ingredient is Poori.Today I thought of sharing poori payasam with you.This has a unique taste.
- Maida/All purpose flour : 1/4 cup
- Milk:1/2 to 3/4 litre
- Sugar:1/2 cup(accdg to desired taste)
- Salt a pinch
- Ghee or Oil for frying
- Cardomom powder:1/4 to 1/2 tsp
cashews and raisins optional
1.Add water and a pinch of salt to maida and make a dough.Keep aside for some time.
2.Knead the dough again for few minutes to make it smooth and pliable.
3.Divide into balls.
4.Roll each ball into a thin round.
5.Cut small round ones from the bigger one using a small cap or a round cutter.
6.Heat oil/ ghee in a kadai and fry small pooris in batches.
7.Keep aside the fried pooris.
8.Now take a thick bottomed vessel and milk to it and boil.
9.Simmer till it gets thickened atleast to 3/4th quantity
10.Add sugar to it.Stir well.
11.Add cardomom powder to it.
12.Now add 3 or 4 tbs condensed milk.(If you add more reduce the quantity of sugar)
13.To the mixture add the fried pooris to it and allow it to cook for 5 to 7 mts.
Then remove from fire .Serve hot or cold.
Points to remember:
- If pooris are fried in ghee it will enhance its taste.
- If there is less time to make small round pooris then make bigger ones and cut into small ones.
- When poori payasam cools it will become thick.
- Frying cashews and raisins is optional.
- When you have payasam one should get poori pieces while chewing.
Left over pooris too can be used for this.
Try this and let me know .
This will be a kids favourite dessert.
- Dehusked green gram dhal:250gms.
- Ghee:2 tbs
- Powdered cardomom:1tsp
- Cashews: 2tbs
- Roast dehusked dhal in a kadai without oil
- Cook dhal and mash well.
- Melt jaggery in a cup of water and strain to remove dirt.
- Extract milk from coconut.keep aside this thick milk.
- Now add water and extract 2nd milk.
- Keep kadai or thick bottomed vessel and put mashed dhal into it.
- Add melted jaggery to it and mix well.
- Now add 2nd extract milk.
- when almost thick add 1st extract milk
- When it begins to boil remove and add cardomom powder
- Heat ghee fry cashews and raisins add to it.
Payasam is now ready.Serving with vadai or with banana and papad is a good combination.Instead of coconut milk ordinary milk can be added.