As the name suggests parupu urundai kulambu is a traditional recipe.This is prepared with lentils.It is different in taste.
for the parupu urundai
Toor dhal or Channa dhal 200 gms
Toor dhal alone 200 gms.
Curry leaves a few
Oil 2 tbs
Green chillies or red chillies accdg to taste.
Coconut scrapings 2 tbs.
1.soak dhal in water for 2 hrs.Grind red chillies with the soaked dhal.
2.Heat oil in a kadai.Add chopped onions,curry leaves and grinded dhal to it.Add required amount of salt to it.Mix well.
3.If needed add a dash of oil so that it doesn’t stick to the kadai.
4.Now add coconut scrapings too to it.
5. Remove from fire and when cool make as balls.
6.Keep in a steamer and steam for few minutes till it gets cooked.
Now the parupu urundai or balls are ready.
Now we can see the gràvy part.
Tamarind a lime size.soak in water and extract pulp from it.keep aside.
*mustard seeds 1/4tsp
*urad dhal 1/2tsp
*Curry leaves a few
*coconut scrapings 2 tbs
*Sambar powder 2 tbs
Coriander leaves chopped
1.In a kadai heat oil add mustard seeds after it splutters add urad dhal.
2.Now add onion,curry leaves and tomato ea.
3. Now add tamarind water to it then sambar powder and salt.
When it is done can add the coconut scrapings grinded to it.
4. Finally add parupu urundai sdeways one by one slowly.
5. When it gets cooked finally add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with rice.
We have many chutney varieties for dosai and idli. This is an easy recipie without coconut.According to ones taste you can alter the quantity of onion and tomato.
Big onion -2
Red chillies: 2 or 3
Garlic few pods
coriander and mint and curry leaves
Oil for frying
To a kadai pour little oil.To it add red chillies, tomato,onion,garlic and coriander and curry leaves.If adding mint leaves add it also.
When cool put in a jar and grind it.
Can be kept in fridge ad can use for 2 to 3 days.to
This kichadi is a combination of brinjal and tomato.In Tirunelveli side they call it as kochu or gosthu.It is a best side dish for idli/dosa.Some eat it gram dhal and white rice. some with venpongal. Few call it kalyana sambar.
- Brinjal -4
- Tomato -4
- Green chillies- 4 (increase or decrease accdg. to taste)
- Onion-2(finely chopped)
- Asafoetida or Hing
- Cooking oil-2 tb
- Urad and mustard seed -1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves-1tbs
- Salt as desired.
- Chop onions,tomatoes,curryleaves and coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Cut brinjal and keep it in water to prevent discolouration.
- Keep kadai put oil add tomato,brinjal and chillies for few minutes till tomatoes are soft.Then add water to it and cook well.
- After cooking remove the excess water keep it seperately.
- Put tomato and brinjal in a blender to get it as a smooth paste.
- Heat kadai.Add oil put mustard and urad dhal when mustard seed splutters add curry leaves and onion.Fry till it is golden brown.
- Now add the paste it.To it add the excess water which was kept asideand cook for few minutes.
- If needed add more water .It has to be in pouring consistency.
- Bring to boil.To it add asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves to it.
- Can use only tomatoes alone.
- When we use brinjal use tamarind extract for it .It will remove the sour taste too.Serve with idli,dosai with dash of sesame oil/gingelly oil