Red kidney beans is a variety of the common beans.They are good source of several vitamins and minerals such as folate, cz molybdenum,iron,copper,manganese, potassium,vit.K,and phosphorus.
- Rajma beans……..1cup
- Oil………….1 to 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds….1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal……..1/2 tsp
- Green chillies…2 or 3 as required
- Curry leaves ….A few
- Coconut scrapings….2 tsp
- Salt as required.
Soak rajma overnight for 7 to 8 hrs.And pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Keep aside the cooked beans.
- In a kadai.pour oil.
- Then add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal.
- When urad dhal turns brown add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it gets fried add cooked rajma salt and when it blends well add coconut scrapings.
I thought of linking this post with culture and tradition. I was born and brought up in Tuticorin in Tamil Nadu then got married and now settled in Trivandrum Kerala.I am fascinated by the culture and tradition of Kerala.
In Kerala the Karkadam month in Malayalam ,Aadi in Tamil that is between July and August is observed as Ramayana month.This is the last month of the malayalam calender.During this month the epic “RAMAYANAM” is recited in homes and temples.The reading of Ramayanam starts on the first day of the month and ends on the last day.The Ramayanam read in kerala homes is “Adhyathma Ramayanam Killipattu” written by Thunchaththu Ramanujan Ezhuthachan by a famous writer.
The epic reflects Indian ethos and values.It portraits the divine birth,childhood and adolesence of Rama.Not only sprituality it is a commitment to our traditional custom and beliefs. Reading this will purify the mind.
Yesterday we had Ramayanam recital in our house.We had invited few people for it and it was a small gathering.Neivedyam was prepared by me for the pooja.Thus sharing the receipes with you.
1. Rawrice-1/2 cup
2. Jaggery-3/4 cup to 1 cup
3. Ghee- 6 tbsp.
4. Cashews raisins-few
5.Cardomom powder 1/4 tsp
- Pressure cook the rice and keep aside.If needed can mash the rice after cooking.
- Powder jaggery and heat with water in a thick bottomed vessel or kadai . Bring to boil.When the jaggery completely dissolves a filter it.Add cooked rice to it.
- In a separate pan add 2 tsp of ghee add 2 tsp of ghee and fry cashews and raisins.
- Cook in slow fire and slowly add the balance ghee to it.Stirring in between.
- Water will be absorbed completely and the mixture will be thick consistency and will slowly leave the sides of the pan.Now add elaichi powder to it..
- Color of pongal varies according to the color of jaggery.
Sarkara pongal is ready.
CHANNA DHAL SUNDAL/CHICKPEA SUNDAL
1.White Channa-1/2 CUP
2. Grated coconut- 1/4cup
3. Oil- 3tbs
4.Mustard 1 tsp
5. Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
6.Redchillies -2 or 3(As desired)
7. Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
9.Salt as required.
- Wash and soak channa overnight.It has to soak for 6 to 7 hours.Pour enough water and salt.Pressure cook till it is soft.
- Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds urad dhal, chillies,Asafoetida and fry.Now add Cooked Channa to it.
- Finally add coconut scrapings.
- This chickpea has many benefits.One can prepare it with white or brown channa.This is made many festivals.
- Jaggerry -!/4 cup
- Lemon- 1.
- Dry ginger powder-1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Cardomaon powder 1/4 tsp
Water -2 cups.
Dissolve jaggery in water add sukku podi and keep it aside for 15 mts.
Filter it to it add lemon juice elachi powder cardomom powder.
You can increase or decrease the ingredients according to taste.