Cocnut Burfi or Thenga burfi is very easy to make sweet.It is made with easily available things in our kitchen..I make this sweet for Diwali.It is a favourite sweet for my friends.Variations can be done. Pure white burfi can be done and to it can add fried cashews.Today for a change I have used turmeric powder for yellow color and added pineapple essence as a flavour.This can be kept in air tight container for 3 to 4 days and if stored in refrigerator can extend upto 7 to 9 days.
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Sugar : 1 cup (optional can reduce a little)
- Water : 1/2 cup
- Pineapple essence:1 or 2 tsp as per taste.
- Turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- Ghee :2tbsp
Cardomom :a few
- Put sugar in a thick bottom vessel.
- Add water.
- Allow sugar to completely dissolve that is melt completely.
- Cook till it gets 1 string consistency.
- Now add coconut and mix well.
- Then add essence ,color,cardomom powder and 1tbsp ghee.
- Stir it continuously by keeping in low flame.
- The mixture will become thick and starts leaving the sides of the pan and will roll like a ball.
- Remove from fire and pour the mixture in a greased plate.
- Allow the burfi to cool a little and cut it in desired shape.
- When it cools completely make pieces..
Store in air tight containers.
Points to remember:
- use fresh coconut scrapings.
- If the scrapings are bigger then put in mixie and run for few second.
- See that the scrapings are white see that the brown portion doesnt mix.
- Use thick bottom vessel or non stick pan.
- When done remove it quickly or else it will become powder.