My native place is in Tamilnadu after marriage only came to Kerala and now settled here.Initially when I see cucumber( not which is used for salads) I used to wonder how people use this in their cooking.In due course I learnt this from my friend.Keralites use this cucumber in sambar and in few other recipies also.
Today when I was talking with my cousin Latu about our lunch I mentioned that I had prepared cucumber kootu. Immediately she told that I should post this recipie in my blog.So I decided to post this recipie this week as per her request.Simple and easy recipie.
- Cucumber :1cup or 250 gms.
- Moong dhal:1/3rd
- Turmeric powder1/2 tsp
- Coconut scrapings 1/3rd cup
- small onion:3
- Jeera:1/4 tsp
- Grind all these ingredients into a paste
- green chillies or red chillies as desired (2or3)
- Mustard seeds:1/2 tsp
- urad dhal :1/4tst
- curry leaves:a few
- Oil for frying
- Cook dhal with turmeric powder in pressure cooker and keep aside
- Cucumber should be peeled deseed and cut into cubes
- In a thick bottomed vessel put cucumber pieces add water and cook till it becomes transparent with little salt.
- When done add cooked dhal to it then grinded paste should also be added.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add urad dhal then curry leaves after frying add thi to the gravy.
Cucumber kootu is ready.Serve with rice.This can be prepared without adding dhal too.Rest of the preparation the same.