How to enhance taste while cooking
1.While making chips both banana and potato add little rasam powder and salt to the sliced vegetables and fry.It will have a different taste.
2.While converting whole grain wheat into wheat flour add a teaspoon of fenugreek to it.Chappathis made out of this flour will be soft.
3. While making coriander leaves thoku fry tamarind separately and then grind
4. While preparing Sundal add a paste of ginger with curry leaves.
5.While preparing oothaappam make a small hole in the centre and pour a tsp.oil it will be crispier.
6.While preparing kesari while adding water reduce the quantity of water instead add coconut milk or boiled milk.Taste will be different.
7. While frying onions first fry onions a bit and then add oil it will fry quickly
French fries are all time favourite for many.It can be an evening snack or a starter.It will be crispy outside and soft inside.Use large and thick potatoes.
- Salt___1 tbs
- Chilly powder__1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Lime 1/2 or 1tsp vinegar optional
1.First cut the potatoes in the same size after peeling the skin.Some add lime juice or vinegar to the water and soak the potatoes.This will help to remove the starch.
2.In a pan add water and salt when water starts boiling put the potatoes into it for few minutes.Drain the water completely and spread it in a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
3.Heat oil it should be only medium hot and fry the potatoes for few minutes may be for 2 or 3 mts.Remove excess oil and allow it to cool.Then keep in zip lock cover and freeze it.
Take them from fridge after 2 or 3 hrs.
4.Then fry again in oil with higher temperature till it becomes crisper and turns golden brown.
Then add the chilly powder to it mix well.
Serve with sauce.
Optional some use pepper powder instead of chilly powder.
I thought of posting a sweet recipe for two reasons.One this is my 100 th post and then for my second anniversary with WordPress. Very happy that two years have passed since I started blogging in this plat form.First and foremost I thank WordPress for its support .Next my family ,my friends and my relatives for their encouragement.And above all my followers who have given their support .
Payasam is a common South Indian desert.we prepare even for simple occasions like birthdays too.Among all varieties semiya payasam is the easiest one to prepare.
- Milkmaid__1/2 tin
- Ghee_1 to 2 tbs
- Cardomom3 pods
1. Heat ghee in a pan.Fry raisins and cashews and keep aside.
2In the remaining ghee fry vermicelli if the semiya is not fried.
3.After frying a little add boiled milk and allow it to cook.
4.When cooked add sugar if u are going to add sugar otherwise add milkmaid now
5.when it blends well and powdered cardamom and fried cashews and raisins to it.
It may get thickened after sometime so add milk before serving.
This can be served both hot or chill.
Among the side dishes for Chappathi green peas curry is one among them.Its healthy as well as easy to prepare it.This curry is without adding coconut.I have used dried ones so can prepare even during non season.
- Green peas ___200gms
- Onion_ 2
- Chilli powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder_2tsp
- Ginger garlic paste_1tsp
- Salt as required
- Cinnamon_1inch piece
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves chopped 1tsp
Soak dried green peas overnight.
- In a pressure pan add 1 to 2 tbs.oil
- To it add cloves,cardamom,cinnamon
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Fry a little.
- Add chopped onions to it fry for sometime then add tomatoes to it and cook till mushy.
- Now add soaked green peas,chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,salt and enough water to cook the green peas.
- Mix well and keep for 2 whistles.
- While serving add chopped coriander leaves.
Can serve with Chappathi,Roti or Appam.
Gopi masala dosai or cauliflower masala dosai is another dosa variety from my cuisine.This is an all time favourite for my family members.Can easily prepare this curry.If curry is left over can use it for rotis or Chappathi as a side dish.Two steps are involved one is preparing the curry and second is stuffing the curry in the dosa.
Dosa batter as required.
- Cauliflower finely chopped and cooked 1cup
- Onion_1 finely chopped
- Tomato_1 chopped
- Green chillies_2chopped or can use chilly powder instead.
- Mustard seeds and urad dhal 1tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Ginger garlic paste_1tsp
- Coriander powder _1tsp
- Vegetable masala powder 1tsp/ or Sambhar powder 1 tsp.
- Salt as needed.
- Oil for frying as well as for dosa
- Cashew nut paste or coconut paste 1to 2 tbs.
If you are going to add cashew paste soak in hot water and grind it into paste. and keep aside.
Chop cauliflower boil and keep aside.
- In a wok put oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dhal.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and fry.
- Now add onions ,green chillies curry leaves and saute it.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it and fry till it becomes mushy.
- At this stage add turmeric powder,if you are going to add chilli powder vegetable masala powder,coriander powder and salt add now,mix well
- After mixing add cooked cauliflower allow the masala to blend well
- Add cashew paste or coconut paste.
- Add coconut paste or cashew paste to get it thickened.Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
To prepare the Dosa.
- Keep Dosa tawa and put one laddle of dough on itSpread into a round shapes one.
- Drizzle oil or ghee on it .
- When it is cooked and crispy keep a spoonful of masala in one side of the dosa cover with lid for few seconds.Then cover it with the other half.After few seconds remove from fire.
Serve hot with chutney and Sambhar.
An evening snack or can say its an starter.
- Potato ____200gmsto250gms
- Ginger garlic paste__3/4 tsp or Garlic can chopped and ginger grated
- Onion_1 or 2 chopped
- Bread crumbs___1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
- Cheese grated 1 tbs
- If u want can add more cheese.
- Corn flour__1/4 cup
- Maida_1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
Bread crumbs to roll the nuggets.
Oil for frying.
Can add basil or oregano or chilly flakes to the mixture.
1.Mash potatoes after boiling.To it add ginger garlic paste,onions and coriander leaves.if u are adding herbs add now.
2.Now add salt to it .Bread crumbs and cheese also to be added.
3.Mix everything well .Take a small portion of the mixture and make it into cylindrical shape.
4.Dip in Maida batter role in bread crumbs and fry in oil.
Serve hot with sauce and grated cheese.
Another rice variety from me.Quick rice variety with fresh coriander leaves.Coriander and ginger are a rich source of minerals and vitamins..It’s a healthy dish.
- Cooked rice ________1 cup
- Coriandervleaves_1 cup
- Onion____1 or 2 chopped
- Ginger_____1 inch piece
- Garlic_ 4 Nos
- Green chillies_____2 or 3 Accdg.to taste
- Onion 1 or 2 for frying while preparing rice
- Cinnamon 2 pieces
- Star anise 1
- Carrot 1 diced
- Ghee or oil 2 tbs.
1.Clean coriander leaves,wash it and grind it with onion,green chillies,ginger and garlic.Grind it if needed add just 2 tablespoons of water only and make it as a paste.
2.Heat oil or ghee in a pan first put cinnamon and star anise and add finely chopped onions,then chopped carrots to it.After frying a little the paste to it and required salt
Wait till the raw smell goes.Finally add cooked rice to it and mix well
When ready serve with raita and papad.
I have added carrots but can address peas or cauliflower too.
- Ridge guord skin can be used to grind chutney.This chutney goes well with idli,does.Also can be eaten with rice with a dash of oil.It is a healthy vegetable with less calories and lot of nutrients.
- If it is not organic soak the peel for little while in water.
- Ridge gourd skin peel _____1/2 cup
- Onion big______________2 or shallots
- Coconut scraping_1/4 cup
- Green chillies_4 chillies
- Tamarind a small piece
- Oil ,____2 or3 tbs
- Salt as needed.
- Heat a frying pan and add oil.
- Add a piece of tamarind sauce add sliced shallots or onion when brownies coconut scrapping.Finally add peels to it.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add salt and grind it .If needed add water and grind
Once the required consistency comes transfer to a bowl.
Can use 4 garlic pods. If so add with onions.
1.Sprinkle burnt pots liberally with baking soda add enough water to moisten.let it remain so for several hours.Then it can be easily removed.
2.Stubborn stain on nonstick cookware by boiling 2 tsp of baking soda 1/2cup vinegar and 1 cup water for 10 Mts.and then clean it.
3.To remove coffee and tea stains from chinaware rub with a damp cloth dipped in baking soda.
4.When one glass tumbler is stuck inside another do not force them apart.fill the top with cold water and dip the lower one in hot water.They will come apart without breaking.
5.To get rid plastic containers of foul odours place a crumbled up newspapers black and white only.cover tightly and leave overnight.