Ven Pongal is a common and healthy breakfast food item. But some will have it for dinner too.It is a common neivedyam in some temples.Famous at Tirupathi Venketeswara Temple,also common in Perumal temples too.It is easy to prepare also light one for the stomach.Some like to prepare with raw rice too.
- Rice :1 cup(Par boiled or raw accdg. to ones wish)
- Moong dhal:1/2 cup
- Ginger:1inch piece grated or finely chopped
- Curry leaves
- cumin:1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder:1/2 to 3/4 tsp(some use pepper corns)
- Ghee:2 to 3 tablespoon
- Dry roast dhal till we get the aroma.
- Wash and cook rice and dhal with 31/2 cup of water( water accdg to the rice you use) with salt and 1/2 tbs. ghee.
- When cook ed keep aside.If it is like puloa then can add 1/2 cup water and cook for some more time.It must be soft in texture.
- Heat a pan add ghee add chopped ginger, cumin seeds,curry leaves and pepper powder to it and fry. If one is using cashews add that too.Add the fried items to the ven Pongal.
- Serve hot with sambar and chutney or brinjal gosthu.
Some add a pinch of turmeric powder to have a yellow pongal.